May 23, 2006 12:00 AM

Bonds over Babe

Here's the rough draft. The image is inspired by the Pulitzer Prize-winning photo by Nanthaniel Fein that was shot during Babe Ruth's last game. I got to thinking about Bonds' legacy and I can't think of a better image that portrays it all.

As you can tell from the front page of this blog this is a topic that gets me pretty heated. I have strong feelings about anything that maligns the integrity of the game. But Bonds knows nothing of integrity.

I'll spend my summer rooting big time for Albert Pujols. I can't think of anything that would be better than him squashing the McGwire and Bonds single season home run numbers. Oh except, of course, Barry Bonds leaving. Leaving Now.

drew0523ruff.gif

• May 23, 2006

Tom Stockman writes:

Hear-hear!

• May 23, 2006

JJW writes:

Right on, Drew! The same should apply to McGuire,
    Sosa and every MLB player
    that takes steriods.

At this point, does baseball
    have any geunine integrity
    left?

• May 23, 2006

Bill writes:

I haven't really heard or seen sports news that has made a tremendous amount of hoopla about this like they did with Mcguire. Maybe that says something...

• May 23, 2006

Muse writes:

Does steroids increase hand-eye coordination? Does any athlete worth his/her weight in whatever look for ways to better their performance? Has Bonds ever been proven to take steroids? He still denies the implication and, do we not still believe in innocent until proven guilty?

• May 23, 2006

Dave writes:

Now coming up to bat Barrryyy BALCO...ooops I mean Bonds:)

• May 23, 2006

DH writes:

It's not the hand-eye coordination that steroids helps. It's the added bulk. Bonds has always been a gifted hitter. Add the 'roids, and a double to the gap turns into a homerun.

• May 25, 2006

Crash writes:

Although B*nds has never tested positive for performance-enhancing substances, there is enough circumstantial evidence to convince me that something just ain't right here. B*nds hit 73 home runs at age 38. His previous single-season high was 49. That's a 50% increase. That doesn't happen naturally.
    If Babe Ruth had a similar increase, he would have hit 90 home runs in 1933 (Ruth hit 34 that year).

• December 27, 2006

RICK CASTRUITA writes:

BARRYBONDS SHOULD JUST GO AWAY. YOU KNOW HE IS A CHEATER. JUST LIKE MCGUIRE,SOSA, AND CANSECO. AT LEAST CANSECO HAD THE ONIONS TO COME CLEAN.