June 29, 2006 12:00 AM

Roynderful

I will fess up. Patrick Roy is my all-time favorite Colorado athlete. He epitomized the competitive fire that excites me about sports. He always found a way to take it to the next level and he played with a spirit and tenacity that was infectious to watch and it energized fans and teammates alike. I miss him. The Avalanche have never been the same since he left. Much like Elway he left a void that is nearly impossible to fill. I only had one concept for this cartoon. Some days are like that and you just feel like it is THE one.

drew0629ruff.gif

• June 29, 2006

Mark McLaughlin writes:

Yep, it is the one. Perfect toon.

• June 29, 2006

Fabio writes:

Hockey ratings may be really low, but Roy was still a great athlete. A legend for sure

• June 29, 2006

Anonymous writes:

Drew, let me get this straight. You like Roy despite his domestic abuse problems?Don't get me wrong, I love Roy and I feel very lucky that he played in Denver for 8 years. I just don't understand YOU, Drew. You rip on CU for alleged misdeeds, but you conveniently ignore Roy's past problems?

• June 29, 2006

Drew writes:

Just thought I would address the domestic abuse charges...If I remember correctly Roy never physically assaulted his wife at any time. Yes, he tore off the french doors to a room in his home and, yes, I have problems with that. But to my knowledge to label that domestic abuse is a little strong. And , no, I never ignored Roy's problems. I commented on them in cartoons at the time. But it never reached the level that things at CU did. And if you want to look at the bulk of my cartoons on CU, they were pretty mild, mostly because I never felt we ever really knew the truth of what went on during the Simpson party. I did, however, take Gary Barnett to task quite often because of the way he ran his program. I could spend days talking about why I think he was bad for the CU program but we don't have the time or space for that. I felt my cartoons were appropriate at the time. And I still feel that way all these months later.

• June 30, 2006

Jared writes:

I agree with u drew. What happened with Roy and his wife was something a man should never, do but i dont think it's right to put that in the same comment where rape is being refered to. save that for howard stern or someone. love your work

• June 30, 2006

Dwayne writes:

The guy tears a door off in his house, and everyone wants to remember that incedent. Did he physically HIT his wife. NO!!! Roy's gotta temper, I'll be the first to admit that, I've been a Roy fan far before he came to Denver, in fact he's the reason I root for the Avs now. But come on, if the man had the sense to damage his house, and not touch his wife, give him some slack for that.