August 4, 2006 12:00 AM

7 days and counting

Hard to believe it's only 7 days before the Broncos start the preseason schedule. This has always been one of my favorite times of the year. The football preview magazines are out, and I love to devour them. Camps are opening and the excitement of a new season is right around the corner. I love football. I grew up in west Texas, and football was pretty much the only game around. I'm looking forward to seeing how Gary Kubiak does with the Texans almost as much as seeing how the Broncos season will unfold. This cartoon was inspired by some signs around our newsroom. We have only one day left until we move into our new building at 101 W. Colfax. Today will be the last time I will draw in the old building and at the drawing board that I have created win, lose & Drew cartoons for 24 years. Monday, I'll be in a new building at a new drawing board and a much improved window view of Civic Center Park. Life is changing and it feels so great. In September, I'll hopefully be moving into a new home in another part of the metro area, having spent the last 18 years in Littleton. I recently remarried after losing my wife to cancer several years ago. The book of Ecclesiastes says there is a time for everything and a season for every thing. I have known, on a personal level, a time to mourn, having lost both my wife and father in just the past few years. Now is a time, it seems, for renewal. With these changes, I'm moving into a new phase. These moves will give me a fresh start and a chance to grow in new ways. I couldn't be more excited about the days ahead. If you've had some times in your life where you've experienced some great changes, I'd love for you to leave a comment. Or if it's just the Broncos season that has you revved up, please feel free to leave a note. I love the conversations that are part of this blog.

• August 4, 2006

Jack Rhoads writes:

We remain Bronco fans after moving away 8 years ago. We are even bigger fans of your work. It helps us keep in touch with the Denver area. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Best wishes with your new home and new phase of life.

• August 4, 2006

James Campuzano writes:

I have always enjoyed your work and post it next to my desk at work. Like the one titled 'trying to measure up'
    of all the new QB's stacked
    on top of each other next to
    John and his trophies. It's
    still soo prophetic!!! You have been right on with your perspective on Colorado sports. I enjoy it online as we don't get the RMN down in the SW corner of Colorado. Adding the blog as well as your thoughts have only made it that much better. And thanks for making me laugh over the years!!!

• August 4, 2006

Bill writes:

Congratulations on your new life and your new view and I am very happy to hear that those bad life turns have strightened out to greener pastures! And may there be happiness and good fortune for you two! ( So much wisdom in Ecclesiastes)
    I Constantly turn my friends on to your work....Chiefs, Cowboys, OU fans...etc..... I know more have turned to checking out your work since. They more than likely won't blog because I am sure they secretly look at these pages in the dark corners or under shrouds to make sure their friends and family do not see them looking at a Colorado website.....heh!
    Keep up the great work!!!

• August 4, 2006

Bill writes:

By the way... it is ironic that the number 7 was used for the count until preseason..... what great days with #7 those were!!!!!! Maybe it is a sign of good luck this year...

• August 4, 2006

Todd writes:

I am glad to hear that things are going well for you now after the challenges of the past couple of years and hope to keep seeing your toons for years to come.
    I have been a HUGE Bronco and BUff fan since my teen years in Northern CO and distinctly recall a toon that depicted a Husker and a Sooner inside what was the Big 8 house with a very angry looking Buffalo outsidet the front door. The commnet on the toon was "the doormat is alive". Soon after that I joined the USAF in 1988 and had a subscriptiong to the News on my first assignent in the UK and your toons gave me good laugh. I ended up in Albuquerque and through the internet have been able to keep up since then. I look forward to you cronicling Jays career as you did Elways. I have a feeling that he is destined to follow in his footsteps, if not fill them. I think that he will be a winner. Good luck and god bless.

• August 4, 2006

Drew writes:

Arnie, Your comments were removed only because of the language you used. When we began the blog I asked that readers restrain themselves in using slang that might be deemed inappropriate for kids since I have a fair amount of young readers. The language rule will always apply here. If you want to resubmit your comments in a clean and dignified way they will be posted.
    Thanks,