September 16, 2006 12:00 AM

Blushing buffs

drew0916.gif

Just how far the Buffs will fall remains to be seen but suffice to say it's a long way back the heydays of Bill McCartney and National title hopes. Which is fine for me. It's easier to pick on a wounded Buffalo than one in perfectly good health. I still am amazed that a football program that was once well respected can't seem to recruit a decent quarterback to save their lives. It's going to be a long season in Boulder and extremely fertile (no pun intended) ground for cartoon material.

• September 16, 2006

Dick Valente writes:

Drew, you are the best, however, you must know that Ralphie is a female bison.
    Maybe you want to see how many of the CU faithful will notice.

• September 16, 2006

CUBUFF80 writes:

Ralphie is a FEMALE!!

• September 17, 2006

Husker in PA writes:

Yep, Ralphie is a female, and at the moment your team is playing tike one to! The only other funnier moment was when Ralphie refused to run one year when Nebraska came to Boulder.

• September 17, 2006

Drew writes:

Just to calm down the furor...I was totally aware that Ralphie is a female...I just didn't think the punch line sounded as good using the female tense. Just an FYI.

• September 18, 2006

Randy Skelton writes:

We are looking forward to having Miss Ralphie " Between the "Hedges". By the way UGA is a male. GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!

• September 18, 2006

oldbuffherder writes:

Glad you Big Red fans have finally learned a playbook has more than 3 plays! Where have you been these few years? Ralphie was a female when she did you 62-3 in your house too! So talk your smack, can you play without Zac?

• September 18, 2006

randy writes:

The Georgia Bulldogs have never played the Colorado Buffalos in football. You may be thinking about Georgia Tech. That would explain the 62-3 score. Who is Zac?

• September 22, 2006

Husker in PA writes:

Um...oldbuffherder, I have a question. When did CU ever beat Nebraska in Lincoln 62-3? We've always had a playbook with more than 3 plays, it just so happens you could never stop those 3 plays when we beat you like a drum. Play without Zac? We have a capable backup in Joe Ganz and next year we re-load with Sam Keller formally the QB at ASU....that's Arizona State University for those CU fans that do not understand abreviations.

• October 7, 2006

Buffalo in CO writes:

I love Nebraska fans. All they talk about is how great their team is and the good 'ol glory days of the 1990's. Well, Nebraska has a ways to go to challenge for a National Championship again (though they are admittingley closer than the Buffs are right now....obviously). I tell you what, Osbourne and the minds behind the Huskers teams of the 90's were brilliant though. I mean, they KNEW that their team was going to begin each season ranked in the Top 10....so why put any ranked teams on their schedule if they didn't have to. In the Big 8, the toughest team they would have to face in the regular season was CU....which was not at the level NE was during those years. They rounded out their non-conference schedule with teams like Pacific (they have a football team??) and Podunk U. And then for the National Championship game, they would have to face a beat-up team from the state of Florida. Obsolutely brilliant on NE part......put yourself in a position where you only have to play 1 true game per year. Of course since the Big 12 has been established NE can't play by the old book and are guaranteed at least a couple of challenging games per year. As for the Buffs, well, when you lose to a 1AA team you know you have a LONG road ahead of you........but at least we can admit that.

• October 7, 2006

Buffalo in CO writes:

Oh, and sorry but in my previous post NE is abbreviated for Nebraska for those Husker fans who do not understand.

• October 16, 2006

Go Big Red writes:

Say what you want Buffalo in CO but we are 6-1.........the complete opposite of you at 1-6. Buffs fans sure do get riled up when they are blowing the pooch and Nebraska is playing awesome.

• October 16, 2006

Buffalo in CO writes:

Soon to be 6-2 though......you actually play someone other than Troy or LA Tech this week. And I'll be the first to say (as in previous posts) that the Buffs have a long way to go to become a competitive football team on a National Level (when you lose to a Montana State........there is a lot of work to be done). At least most Buffs fans can face the facts though. What's funny is to see Husker fans get all riled up when you tell them they have little more than a mediocre team. I'm sure it seems to Husker fans that their team is playing awsome when they face Troy and LA Tech......would you say they played awsome against a "weaker than in years past" USC squad?? The NE squad can still make a beliver out of me though when they face Texas........heck, they don't even have to win. If they show up and give Texas a game than maybe I'll start believing they are better than I originally thought. But if I had to make a bet, I would put my money on Texas blowing NE out because I don't think you have a team nearly as good as you think it is. Maybe NE will prove me wrong though...........we'll see!!