September 7, 2006 12:00 AM

window dressing

Gee...I take a few days off and the whole world hits the windshield. Safe to say that Dan Hawkins debut was less than stellar. Truth be told the cupboard is pretty bare up in Boulder. Seems that Barney forgot to recruit for a few seasons and left Mr. Hawkins with nothing to work with. This weekends CU-CSU matchup will be one of the most interesting ones in years. The Buffs season rides on the outcome.

I moved over my week off, relocating after 18 years in the same home. It was, to say the least, quite the undertaking but I'm excited to be a new place in my personal life as well as the recent move we made here at the Rocky. I made a simular move on Labor day weekend exactly 24 years ago from my hometown of El Paso, Texas to start my stint as the sports cartoonist for the News. Here's to a least 24 more years and mostly to the great readers who have followed and continue to read win, lose & Drew. Thanks so much.

drew0907ruff.gif

• September 7, 2006

slc writes:

I'm tired of hearing that the cupboard is bare @ CU. Not one player on Montana State could start @ CU. CU's got 2 NFL draft picks on the OL and several other guys who will be in NFL camps next year. For Montana State to come into Folsom and dominate is inexcusable. For 900k, fans should expect better preparation, better motivation and better coaching.

• September 7, 2006

I loved every minute of it. It doesn't even matter what else CU does this season. The season is over before it begins! I cannot wait to see the Buffs get run over by CSU. The party is over!!

• September 7, 2006

Steven writes:

I'm not going to call the season quite yet, but I'll give warning to Tom: Almost every CSU is favored they lose (I'm not hoping that CSU will lose, but I remain cautiously optimistic)

• September 8, 2006

Dwayne writes:

Yes, the cupboared is going bare. Living in Texas now I get a good dose of recruiting news. Colorado never seems to have any bona-fide blue chippers listing them. They've have some horrible recruiting years. There are more variables to it than Barnett not doing his job. First and foremost, Colorado needs to be keeping the studs from the state, in state. Not letting them get away to USC, Texas, or other top notch programs.

• September 9, 2006

Steve Claytor writes:

The start of the college football season was the sweetest yet. Colorado State wins, Nebraska wins and Colorado gets humiliated at home by a D-II team. Keep up the good work Hawkins. So when does CU change to blue turf for Hawkins!! Already looking forward to the Friday after Thanksgiving for that game in Lincoln.

• September 13, 2006

Learning from history writes:

Recipe for Success ala Bill McCartney: Dedicate the team/season to the Lord, get the best players in your home state, win the moma's and you get the player, build the best coaching staff/delegate & recruit to your system. We'll see how Hawkins fits this criteria..