October 30, 2006 12:00 AM

That's a Defense ?

The Broncos lost a Must Win game for them against the Colts and now must pick up the pieces and still try to make something of their season. I think from a psychological standpoint the Broncos took an enormous hit, especially the way the game finished with Manning leading an effortless drive for an easy Colts field goal to win the game as time ran out. Some quick post -game observations that will effect the Broncos the rest of the way...

1. The defense was exposed. Only time will tell if it will hurt the Brocnos the rest of the way but suffice to say giving Manning such an easy drive in a crucial situation in the last 1:52 I think will certainly be something to be very worried about. A defense that had stood strong throughout the early part of the season folded like a house of cards at the end. Troublesome, to say the least.

2. While Plummer played a decent game he again was responsible for a key turnover that resulted in a big turnaround for the Colts. Time to make the change ? I dunno. But let's face it. He didn't beat the Colts in a game that he HAD to beat the Colts.

3. Shanahan must be dumbfounded. What will it take for him to overcome the Colts? I think he's starting to feel like Marty Schottenheimer did in Cleveland and Kansas City all those years ago. He built the defense he though could finally get the job done and they imploded right before his eyes.

4. The upcoming schedule doesn't help. At Pittsburgh, at Oakland, followed by San Diego and Seattle. It could get bumpy over the next few weeks.

Bronco Fan in Texas writes:

Drew, that "turnover" was a horrible call by the refs. Jake's butt was on the ground, not on another player, when the ball came out. What were they looking at? Granted, he should have held on to the ball, but the Dolts got some help from the refs on that score.

Jimmers writes:

I only see one team in your list that the Broncos may have trouble against and that's the Chargers. Broncos played great yesterday but the Colts are the class of the league. We'll see what happens in the AFC Final.

Bronco fan in SD writes:

Why didn't Denver blitz more? Manning had all year to sit back there and pick apart the D. If you can't get to even a decent QB, he can sit back there and pick you apart. That 40+ run of Bell's on the last Denver series is what killed them. They should have tried to take it slower and take more time off the clock. Sad loss. hopefully they can rebound.

Bill writes:

I agree with Bronco fan about the lack of pressure. It's like the defensive line again appeared to simply "dance" with the Colts offense. I have noticed this sort of playing often since the season began. One game I watched I actually saw the left tackle( I can't rememebr who it was at this time), on TV simply play what appeared to be a mild shoving match with a an offensive player and basically stopped as the play was unfolding. He wasn't even trying to get in. I wished I would have taped hat and sent it in. I will disagree, however, that this game was a shattering experience for the Broncos. The offense finally clicked and the defense as a whole was not dismantled. Bailey had a great game. It was the defensive line and Darrant Willliams playing way off of the receiver. It was obviously some type of defense that seemed to allow the catch but was supposed to prevent any yards after. Although I will put an asterick when it came to tackling: way too many missed tackles. But take away a few of those missed tackles and the defense that only allowed a Colts team to beat them by a field goal where the Broncos are usually being pounded by three or more TD's, I think this game might actually mark a turning around of the offense, tighten up the defense and this team should have a much better second half of the season... as long as the offense performs the same and the defense fixes their problems.

mike, coleman writes:

I love the Broncos, but man that was a very poor effort the defense put up. If you see something not working fix it, I mean darrent williams got burnt, why not double him up or switch with baily? We had that game.

Fabio writes:

They should have double-covered Wayne. Darrent got burnt, but almost any corner would have struggled against Wayne's routes. They needed a safety close to them so the safety could have been in front of Wayne, while Darrent could have been on the back

Bronco fan in SD writes:

Yeah, but if Williams would have switched with Bailey Manning would have just went to Harrison. I agree they needed to double up on Wayne. It was just a tough loss. Manning was on his game. When someone that good is hitting every throw it is tough to beat them.

Disgusted writes:

You could see this coming when Oakland QB had lots of time..I just naively assumed the Broncos would take more chances(blitz pkgs) against Peyton. We should know by now the only way to beat them is to frustrate him(ask the Patriots). Theory..Shanahan ego is so large that the only way Cutler gets a shot is if the Broncos are exposed and generally out of playoffs..that way is lowest risk to the head coach. No one seriously believes Plummer is the answer come playoff time. He quit in the 4th qtr of AFC Champ game & does not have the instinct/drive/team belief to rally back in big games.

Steven writes:

I'm not quite so concerned as many of you seem to be, sure we had some problems exposed, but these problems wern't exposed by the Browns or Raiders, they were exposed by the Peyton-led Colts. As long as the Broncos can mentally rebound from a hard fought loss and beat the Steelers, I forsee few problems in the future.

Oh and I'd like to give major props to Cecil 'the Diesel' Sapp for his great play late in the game 2 rushes, 39 yards, it made me very happy to see him break out a bit and play a solid (though limited) game.

Ted in Vegas writes:

Two thoughts:
    1) Does Darrent Williams ever play tight coverage?
    2) Why was our Defensive Ends wearing Offensive Tackles all afternoon long without any flags? That Colt LT was like static cling he was holding onto our guys so much.

BroncoJeff in Seattle writes:

A little taste of our own medicine? How many times did #7 do exactly what #18 did yesterday. Only difference was that Manning looked cool and calm like an assassin as Elway was a bit more frenetic, but just as effective. No pass rush, no risk taking, no win.

Bronco in CO writes:

Hopefully our offense keeps its scoring ways and our defense regains its "pre-Colts" form. If so, this team will continue to grow and become a force once the playoffs hit. We will have to figure out Manning and CO though.......of course that's what we thought last year.

And our defense better hold true because I definitely don't want to see a "Name our Defense" contest. Sorry Drew (I know you don't want to see it either)

• October 31, 2006

Stan writes:

The crowd was loud and rowdy in the first half, but then in the second half it was like they lost their voices. The noise just wasn't there, and with the way Peyton audibles, a loud and rowdy bunch would have helped.

• October 31, 2006

Rattlehead writes:

This was a debaucle for the Denver D. What happened to the blitz packages. The skins showed that Manning can be gotten to in week 7. They almost broke him in half.

• October 31, 2006

Dwayne writes:

Darrant Williams didn't play tight coverage because the Broncos knew if they played to tight, the comeback routes would turn into hitch and gos, and instead of being beat for a 10yd catch and tackle, they're beaten by a long catch and run.

The Broncos need to figure out a way to give some help on those routes, without exposing another hole for Manning to have his way with.

I think it did force the Broncos offense to play. Maybe that is a sign that Jake and the gang will match the opposition's offense, no matter who it is.