October 18, 2006 12:00 AM

The Miami Vice

The only way ithe madness at the University of Miami will ever enbd is when they give the football program the death penalty. And that has as much chance of happening as pigs flying. The NCAA makes too much money off of them and they are too important to the NFL as a farm system for the death penalty to ever happen. So slap a few hands and wait a few games. And let the Miami Hurricanes continue their impersonation of the WWF.

• October 18, 2006

This is why I have always hated college football. The only reason it exists is to make money. The actual game has zero importance, unless you count allowing college students in the stands (many underage, I might add) to become blithering drunks and make complete fools of themselves. Of course, pro football isn't any different. All you have to do is add a few years to the players and fans ages, that well....there you go.

• October 18, 2006

Mark McLaughlin writes:

Tom-

I completely agree with you, but may I recommend the Air Force Academy football program. REAL student athletes, no alcohol at the stadium, reasonable prices. They'll never win a national championship, but it's always good football, and you can respect the program.

• October 18, 2006

Drew writes:

Gee Arnie...You don't happen to be one of those CU faculty members I've been harping about, are you? College athletics are part of the education process. They are part of the cultural events that shape young people and offset the seriousness of the daily classwork students must go through. And labeling all athletes as stupid is sterotypical and borders on racism which, by the way , is another of Boulders problem. Education is the key to becoming a better and more harmonious world. Athletics often provides those who cannot afford to go to college a chance at a better life. Without college athletics a college education becomes merely an instrument for the rich and elite to remain that way. That sounds a bit like the old plantation society if you ask me . Sure some athletes abuse the system but so do some so called students who are taking up space in the acedemic system partying the weeks away. When will we ever learn that education is the key to escaping poverty and it should be valued far greater in our world than it is.

• October 18, 2006

Harry Thomas writes:

In the immortal words of Billy Clyde Puckett: "College football has built more wings on libraries than all of the intimate friends of Beowulf."

(Dan Jenkins, "Life its Ownself")

• October 18, 2006

Steven writes:

I must give FIU credit, they're doing the right thing over there with their indefinite suspensions. Whereas those Miami players are missing what? One game, a game against Duke. That's the equivilant of missing a game against a Division I-A team. Miami needs to show a little more backbone or soon the only students there will be on their sports teams.

And to Arnie: A very low percentage of collegiate athletes ever make it to the Pros, please don't knock all of them.

• October 19, 2006

Steven writes:

Arnie, after playing football, basketball, volleyball, or anything else for that long you're going to be a little tired, your adrenaline will be flowing, and odds are you're not going to speak very eloquently. I don't know about you, but after I've played a pickup game of football for an hour or so, I don't exactly sound like the captain of the debate team. Undoubtedly some of those players sound like that all the time, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Keep up the good posts Arnie, I always enjoy what you have to say.