November 3, 2006 12:00 AM

Bozos of Blitz # 9

Drew1103toon.gif

I love high school football. Growing up in west Texas it was a part of our lives. I don't get out to see much of it these days but I still pay attention to it. I did get a chance to watch my old neighbors son, Kevin Kapke, play for Chatfield a few times.

Recently, Channel 4 moved Marcia Neville into a part-time slot at the station because they are downplaying their high school coverage. It's a move that quite honestly baffles me. High school sports are woven into the fabric of this great state and are a key part of the entire community. Why Channel 4 would cut their coverage of it is just beyond me. But don't get me started about TV sports coverage in Denver. Channel 2 is the only one giving sports the time it deserves.

Overall, I miss getting the chance to watch High school football on a regular basis. Our Preps editor here at the News, Gerry Valario, mentioned to me earlier in the week about Limon going for the state record. I just couldn't imagine how I could get a cartoon out of it. That's what is fun about doing Bozos of Blitz. It gives me a vehicle to do some different things like nickname contests and Limon footrball. Anyway, I'll be pulling for the Badgers on Saturday. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Feel free to share some of your memories of high school football. I'd love to hear stories form the Glory Days.

• November 3, 2006

Fabio writes:

Are the badgers ranked 1st in the state? I thought it was Mullen

• November 3, 2006

Taylor writes:

Limon is class A, Mullen is 5A

• November 3, 2006

Fabio writes:

Thanks for the info

• November 3, 2006

Rob writes:

Ah, High School Football. I remember the first game I went to was homecoming a girl threw up on my friends shoes in the first quarter and at half time another one almost got beat up.

• November 3, 2006

Meaghan writes:

Ahh..., the good old days. My high school football team was so bad, the marching band didn't know the fight song. :o)

I'm living out in Oregon now, and I'm right around the corner from a local high school, and I take my son to the games on Friday night. It brings back lots of memories.

• November 3, 2006

Debi K. writes:

Mr. Litton: We down here in Limon would like to have a signed copy of this cartoon for our Limon High School Trophy case!
    Thanks!! This was fun!

• November 3, 2006

Dwayne writes:

I'm still shaking my head at the fact my alma-mater, Byers, almost ended the string a couple weeks back.
    Burlington and Akron may be the only teams that can beat Limon in the playoffs.

• November 4, 2006

CDrys writes:

I had the opportunity to play for Montrose and we went to the state title game a coule of times. The best athlete on the team was the quarterback, and one year he rushed for 1000 yards and passed for over 1000 in the same season. The coaches would tell us during the game that we had to block two guys and he could juke the other nine. Dirk Johnson was the best athlete I ever saw and now he is a punter for the Philadelphia Eagles.