November 25, 2006 12:00 AM

The BCS Mess

I'm wondering which will come first. The NCAA replacing the BCS with a much needed Playoff system or Mike Shanahan benching Jake Plummer for a much better Jay Cutler. These days I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see the Playoff system first.

If you ask me, I think the way Mike Shanahan has handled the situation with Jake has been almost inhumane. He hangs the guy out to dry, for what, half the season, turns the sidelines into a forum to verbally abuse Plummer in front of the whole world everytime the guy comes off the field and, then, in in act of complete cowardice, steps off the podium in front of the press before anyone can ask the obvious question about the quarterback controversy leaving his team and the entire Denver community hanging for the forseeable future.. The one thing I can say about Jake is, he never quit on his team the way that Mike Shanahan has done this season. It's been horrendous and grossly unfair to the entire team.

Let me know what you think. I'm interested if anyone feels the same way.

• November 25, 2006

Jacob writes:

You're a bonehead if you think that Mike has quit on this team. If Mike had quit on this team he wouldn't be benching guys like George Foster to send messages to everyone on the team. It is an irresponsible statement from a mediocre journalist like yourself to make about Shannahan. No wonder you don't write and only do cartoons.

• November 25, 2006

KCBH writes:

I have yet to figure out why Shanahan would treat Plummer the way he has this season.

I can't remember, but did he do the same thing to Brian Griese in his last year?

Plummer can count on one thing for sure from all of this, he will walk away with millions of dollars in his bank account , just like Griese did.

• November 25, 2006

JakeTheFake writes:

Okay....I'll break it down for everyone.

Shanny is missing his Johnny. He doesn't have his Johnny to cover up for his inept way of coaching. Mike Shanahan is NOT a brilliant magician coach. He's a decent coach that has, in the past, been surrounded by good players and other very good coaching minds (see Gary Kubiak). Shanny got a lot of credit for a lot of other people's work.
    Jake is a fair to middle talent QB. But he is not a great QB. Shanny can't stand losing, and therefore loses complete control when the losing starts. Great coaches adjust, make changes in starters and roster spots when the losing gets to be too much. Basically....Mike Shanahan has LOST this team and no one has faith that he will make things better (even though every player will say that to keep his job.) Jay Cutler isn't Elway either, so Mike is screwed. He should step down now while he still has some face left.
    And answer me this....why does Shanahan always look like he has a stick stuck somewhere? Can this guy relax at all?
    Oh...one more thing.....so much for those who say you can just plug any running back into the Denver offense, eh? Actually DECIDING on ONE running back might be a start, one would think.

• November 26, 2006

Frostman writes:

The media has created this quarterback controversy and it's obviously messing with Jake's head. Every other roster adjustment Shanahan has made passed with minimal comment. When Shanahan thinks it's time to start Jay he will do so. When he does so he'll be throwing in the towel on our playoff hopes. A rookie starter isn't a Superbowl winning (finally!) 14 year veteran John Elway any more than Jake Plummer is. John struggled for years before getting us the Lombardi trophy. I still have my well worn Bronco Brick ! Jake Plummer has yet to drop a pass, blow a coverage, miss a pass rush block, return a kickoff or punt, miss a tackle or give up on his team OR his fans.

• November 26, 2006

NMLeo writes:

Shanahan has not quit on the team. If he had, Cutler would have started months ago. A rookie QB could not lead this team to a SB.
    I for one I'm very sad to see Jay play this year. We're now looking at 8-8, no playoffs and setting back Cutler's development.
    There are so many problems on this team right now and KC & San Diego exposed every single one of them. NO pass rush, horrible special team play and two RB's that don't use the cut back lanes. Cutler won't fix ANY of these problems.
    Is it draft day yet?

• November 27, 2006

Steven writes:

I don't think Mike quit on the team, though he certainly could've made better adjustments. I really am starting to miss Gary Kubiak, he had this offense in shape last year, and he's really the only thing that our offense is missing from last year. This offense has plently of talent, and right now is looking downright toothless. I will go on record right now and say that I don't like the QB switch right now, I think it's a bad idea. I do however still have enough trust in Mike to give my official condemnation of the move at least a game or two, who knows maybe Jay Cutler will surprise us all...

• November 27, 2006

Steven writes:

By the way, where were all these Jake supporters when I gave my 'don't bench the guy for the rookie' after the Broncos/Chargers cartoon?

• November 27, 2006

Dwayne writes:

As big of a supporter as I was for Jake to start the whole year...I do think this could work for the Broncos. Shanny's not messing around right now. If you aren't playing up to what you should be, there's the bench...see George Foster, Mike Bell, and Tony Scheffler. Thursday's game was surreal in the fact you knew Jake was done. And he played like it. I really thought he'd come around and play carefully like he did last year. Guess not, and it's time for the change. I'm on board, and let's see where it goes.

• November 27, 2006

Bill writes:

I still support Plummer, but I also see the effectiveness of putting in Cutler. First, all Cutler has to do is create more scoring, or simply outperform Plummer. This would be a lift. It may also be a temporary thing to give Plummer a rest and some time to get it together and put him out there after a couple games. Whatever the decision, the Broncos need to score more period because the defensive line does nothing but dance with other team's offesive lines. There is ZERO pass rush. I still have these games recorded and still cannot believe that they look totally disinterested. The whole line was pushed left of Rivers and one got free and merely meandered. Darrant Williams gets toasted weekly for playing too far off his guy downfield. Rivers had all day!! So we need to start outscoring.

• November 27, 2006

Harry Thomas writes:

I don't know if Shanahan has quit on the team or not. I like Jake, but I've seen him collapse in the big games (the two this past week, the AFC playoffs last year). I think the offense has been more of the problem than Jake has, but his mistakes are the most visible, so he gets the lion's share of the blame.

The announcement is made: the Cutler era will start on Sunday against the Seahawks. I'm going to look at the rest of this season as a chance for the new kid to learn his new job. But I'm not going to pack my Plummer jersey like I did the Griese jersey.

Cutler: Lest anyone forget, Elway didn't have too good of a season his first time out, so there's precedent. But be prepared for just as many slings and arrows from the Bronco fans as Jake got.

Jake, ya did good; you just had too big of a shadow to climb out of. Let's face it; the Denver faithful aren't going to be satisfied with anyone until they lead us to another Super Bowl win.

• November 27, 2006

Matt writes:

The only message that Shanahan is sending to his team is that "I screwed up, but you all are going to take the fall for it."

The man has always gotten way too much credit for the success of the team. If you can't blame Shanahan for the team's struggles, then maybe you can explain to me why on earth a rejected RB from Missouri is even touching the football.

• November 29, 2006

BroncFan writes:

Matt-

Could it be that we once had a "rejected" RB from Georgia touching the ball???? (See Terrell Davis)