December 4, 2006 12:00 AM

Baby Steps

Well, Cutler's debut wasn't pretty. A Rookie quarterback rarely comes out of the gate without tripping and that certainly was the case. But I don't think the way he played in his debut was all his fault. What has happened to Mike Shanahan ? When did he turn into Marty Schottenheimer ? His play calling has become predictable, his game plan for Jay was atrocious and his time management is non-existant. In all my years of watching Broncos football I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach completely freeze up and make strange play call after play call like the game on Sunday night. The Elam fake was bizarre, and the conservative way he ran the ball in the third quarter when it was clear Jay was beginning to loosen up after a nervous start was beyond me. The cartoon sums it up for me. He gave Cutler no chance to play the game. THROW THE BALL DOWNFIELD. It's what you drafted the kid for.

• December 4, 2006

JakeTheFake writes:

What has happened to Shanny is that he has completely lost his mind.
    First....what the hell is he doing by having Elam run a fake field goal in 16 degree weather? Of course he's going to come up lame, because he's a kicker, not a running back. I was amazed that plummer completed the blind pass (behind his back no less) to Elam though, considering how many of his passes have not been on target this year.

Apparently Cutler watched too much of Jake in the last year or so. What kind of dying quail of a pass was that while he was getting pulled down? Eh???? I mean....Hah????? Welcome to the NFL guy. It's going to be a hard lesson I guess.

In short....it's time for Mike Shanahan to retire. He's had a good run....but he has completely lost it. Anyone else notice that he was completely lost for what to do when the clock was ticking down.....then he calls a timeout. He lost about 10 seconds of time while he was trying to shake the cobwebs loose. It's time Mike.....take a powder.

One last thought....there is a reason why Mike Bell wasn't drafted. And it's the same reason why he will be released very shortly. Care to take a guess? It's spelled "F-U-M-B-L-E-R..."

• December 4, 2006

Go Broncos! writes:

Shanahan has not lost his mind. Its kind of hard to make any kind of game plan when your team fumbles the ball away and can't catch the ball. Although that Elam play before half time did not make sense at all. I think he was suppose to throw to someone down field but no one was there. And that INT he threw while being sacked is the result of him being a rookie. He will learn to just hold the ball. Give it time. God didn't creat the earth in 1 day so don't expect Cutler to cure the Broncos problems in 1 game.

• December 4, 2006

Dwayne writes:

Jay looked ok for a rookie...in his first game...in the middle of the toughest part of the season...in 16 degree weather. Come on...did anyone think he would come out looking like Elway in his prime, instead of Elway in 83.

• December 4, 2006

Steven writes:

Mr. JakeTheFake, who are you and why are you masquerading as a Broncos fan? Let's show a little team support and optimism.

First, Jay, despite rookie mistakes, showed some real poise out there, was I thrilled with the outcome? No, but he didn't look half bad.

Second, Mike Shanahan called a good game, the Elam run was questionable, but you know if he had gotten a lucky break it could've been a TD and no one would've questioned it. Sure he played conservatively, but you know he was game planning for a rookie quarterback, so I can understand why he wasn't all in for the deep ball right away.

Thirdly, lay off Mike Bell, he's a rookie, I remember Tatum Bell doing the same thing as a rookie. Heck, I don't know of many rookie RBs who don't have ball control issues (see Reggie Bush yesterday on that catch).

Anyway, the long and short of it is that this game turned right around after Al Wilson went down, after he went down, the Seahawks marched right down the field and scored a TD. If the heart and soul of a Defense gets taken away, it's going to suffer. Then there was that awful Defensive holding call against Veal. This game wasn't a disheartening loss, this game was a loss with bright spots. Our defense played much better then last week, Cutler showed chops, the run game was back, and even special teams seemed to play a little better. Serously lets show a little team spirit, and not be fair-weather fans.

GO BRONCOS!

• December 4, 2006

Matbar writes:

Its ok. Although he looked like Jake Utler on a couple of tosses, Im realy looking forward to what Jay can do. Remember, Elway did terrible his first game. Give him some reps. The game wasn't Cutlers fault.

• December 5, 2006

txsbronco writes:

jake the fake...get your facts straight before you spew them on a board...Bell wasn't drafted due to his lack of speed, not due to fumbling...by the way the great TD even put the rock on the ground a few times....and if Bell is released very shortly remind me that you called it.

• December 6, 2006

Distant Fan writes:

Yup, I'm in Coeur D'Alene Idaho. However I lived in Denver for 45 of my 71 years.
    I only know one person who would call the Broncos "donkeys". So I think I know who he is. Don't try to change him. His miniscule brain is set on negative. If he ever issued a compliment to someone his face would fall off. Right Gary?