December 18, 2006 12:00 AM

Fanning the Flame

Never say never. I don't believe I have heard the Fat Lady belt it out yet so I say there is still hope. What we saw of Jay Cutler on Sunday is only the beginning but suffice to say we are now witnessing why Shanahan made the change at Quarterback and why he drafted Cutler to begin with. The throw he made to Walker to start the game set the tone. I can't even remember when the last time a Broncos quarterback aired it out like that but it was a sight to see.

So the season will come down to the last two games nd will make for an exciting finish. I just hope no one gets injured trying to jump back on the Broncos bandwagon this week. There will be quite a stampede early on. Stay on this time and enjoy the ride.

I'll be doing my year-in-review package of cartoons for Saturday and hopefully we'll be able to pu them all online and maybe do a grading system like we did last year. It's always a daunting task to look back over the past cartoons and pick the ones that most represent the entire year overall . Someday I hope we can do a system where you can vote on your favorites.

• December 18, 2006

Steven writes:

While I'm not fully convinced that the mid-year swap was the right idea, I gotta feel better about the Bronco's future after Sunday. It sure was nice to see Cutler air it out on that pass to Walker, and I can't deny that I haven't missed that. Playoffs? I sure hope so, who knows, if Cutler can keep improveing game by game we may yet have a shot.

• December 18, 2006

Chad writes:

I hope your right Drew, but I can't say I'm convinced yet that this team is going anywhere. I want to see them play like that against a team not coached by one of the worst coaches in the NFL (ever?).

• December 18, 2006

MJ writes:

The Cardinals are a decent team. Don't get me wrong they are no San Diego chargers. But they darn near beat Chicago and they beat a Seattle team last weekend that we happened to lose to.

• December 18, 2006

charlie writes:

The QB change should have been made earlier. When Cutler made that throw on his third play of the game, I went Woah! 70 yards in the air was amazing.

• December 18, 2006

Chris from Littleton writes:

That pass was the most excited I've been about this team in awhile. But everyone seems to forget that Plummer made plenty of 70-yard throws here in Denver. The problem was that the receiver was usually only 50 yards down field. When he let it go I thought "Whoa, that's way to far." But when it hit Walker in stride I thought "Whoa, that's what we've been waiting to see."

Sure, this year won't likely turn into a deep playoff run, but those who didn't like the QB change keep forgetting that it wasn't going to with ol' Plumbbob either. Broncos football is getting fun again...

• December 18, 2006

Little Red (Nebraska Boy) writes:

Well....I jumped off the wagon just because it was alot of problems and just not Jake. Look if Cutler can Cut it ..Great. Now fixed the defensive dam its leaking or Will we all be saying ..Maybe next Year. To be continued..

• December 18, 2006

Bill writes:

Also look at the CB position... "Toast" Williams was not playing there, it was Foxworth. I am not saying Williams is a bad future prospect, but he is having a typical Sophomore season and is not playing to his hype. He has made a few really great plays but he has been burned by far more big plays. So this year he earns the nick. I think they ought to keep this defensive lineup and be aggressive up front like they played against the Cardinals. Also, keep in mind the offense wasn't leaving the field "3 and out" like they have in the past which also gave the defense a break.

• December 19, 2006

The Donkeys beat the ho-hum Cardinals.

It means NOTHING.

Cutler will never be a true NFL QB if he cannot beat quality teams like San Diego, etc.

He'll last a few seasons at best I predict. He's being hyped way too much for beating a team that has not hope of contending.

Good toon though Drew. Much appreciated!

• December 20, 2006

Ivory Greathouse writes:

One game against the cardinals does make Jay Cutler the second coming of John Elway.