December 12, 2006 7:23 PM

Rockies youth Movement

It's official. The Colorado Rockies have become a farm club. A farm club to the Astros, the Dodgers, the Yankees, the Cubs, the Red Sox and almost every other team in the majors whose payroll is bigger than the one on Blake Street. They've become nothing more than a summer vacation stop here in the Mile High City. Stop at the the Zoo. The Botanical Gardens, The Garden of the Gods, The Butterfly Pavillion and an evening at Coors field watching whoever the Rockies might be playing.
The brothers Monfort have been priced out of the market. Things were bad enough before the recent offseason spending spree hit Major League Baseball like a bad plague. Now the Rockies can only stand by and watch everyone else spend while they grow talent and, if they are lucky like they were yesterday, trade it away for something. Anything. Otherwise they will watch homegrown talent like Ian Stewart wear a Rockies uniform for, oh, about 2.2 innings before he walks away free to collect a major paycheck from a real major league team while the Rockies get nothing more than "we knew him when."
Sure. I know. The A's do it like this. Trade away Mulder and Hudson before they can't afford to resign them. But they are the A's. They seem to have some semblance of Baseball knowledge that seems to have eluded the Rockies. No surprise considering the Rox have a football guy running the front office and owners who can't afford a Volkswagen much less a Lexus.
So get used to it Denver. Welcome to the minor leagues.

• December 12, 2006

Spot on Drew.

I'll be very happy to see Jennings mow down the Rockies hitters now that he's been released from purgatory.

Francis will not be far behind.

Helton will likely retire within a couple of years due to the fact that his bat has gone silent and his skills are slipping away.

The only thing the Rockies can smile about is the fact that they have an American League equal when it comes to futility....the Baltimore Orioles. Yes, the O's spend more money than the Rocks, but they too have an owner who will never spend enough to create a winning team or environment. I used to follow the Orioles, but I never will again until Peter Angelos sells the team. I'm not holding my breath.

• December 13, 2006

Peter writes:

The sad thing is that the Monfort's are making money hand over fist. They actually had higher revenues than the White Sox in 2005, the season Chicago won the World Series. Where does all that money go? Well it bought the Monforts a four-star vacation resort that we do know. Only one team in MLB spends a lower percentage of every dollar it takes in on player payroll than the Rockies. Only one. Even the KC Royals spend a larger proportion. Its not that the Rockies don't have the money, its that they don't spend it, or that is on players. They spend it all right. The Monforts are spending their profits!

• December 13, 2006

Mike writes:

I wanted to thank the Colorado Rockies for bringing me back to reality. In the years past, I felt we were getting close to being able to compete for a championship. Now there is no question that our team is no better than a farmclub. I just hope that Helton gets a chance to be promoted to the majors someday.... I heard on the news that now we have freed up $4m to get a new starting pitcher. THEY COST $10m. Does that newscaster work for the Rockies? They have guaranteed the cellar for the next 10 yrs. Thanks for the shot of reality. Keep up the good work... Do you think we can beat the Sky Sox?

• December 13, 2006

MJ writes:

Sure wish my Twins would have went after Jennings. I feel bad for Rockie fans. Small market teams can win. Look at Oakland and Minnesota. Its to bad. With the Avs and Broncos going down the crapper this year, all Denver has now is The Real World.

• December 13, 2006

Roger writes:

I'm an Astros fan, and I am glad we got Jennings, but it did come at a cost.

Willie Tavares has range, speed, and a nice arm to gun down runners. We will miss him with the huge center field in MM Park. He needs to improve his instincts on the base paths, and get a higher OBP. He will never be a power hitter, but he could improve in that area. He will be fun to watch and frustrating as well.

Jason Hirsh was our top pitching prospect. He isn't as good as Jennings right now, but he has potential to be a #1/#2 guy on a team.

Taylor Buchholz is a guy that came off of major surgery and had mixed results last year. He showed brilliance at times but seemed to be an "all or nothing" pitcher. He gave up 8+ runs 3-4 times, but he also shut down the potent Ranger's lineup on two occasions (one was a complete game). He has good stuff, but the question is whether he can handle pressure. I hope for your sake he isn't the next TIm Redding.

• December 14, 2006

Jesus Morillo writes:

To the guy who wrote "Do you think we can beat the Sky Sox?" I'd just like to point out that ALL the players for he SkySox have been called up to the big club. There isn't anyone down there left to play anymore. Unless, they "promoted" everyone from AA, that is. Our whole organization is a lie. Our MLB is AAA...

• December 14, 2006

Dwayne writes:

I like Buchholz, not sure what I think of the other two. Rockies should have waited for Torii Hunter's free agent year next year....oh wait the Rox don't sign high profile free agents anymore....
    Not to Rockies management....OPEN UP THE POCKETBOOK AND GAMBLE...you want butts in the seats....put talent on the field.

• December 14, 2006

MJ writes:

Tori Hunter is going to finish his career in Minnesota. Plus, Colorado is on his do not trade list, so i doubt he would sign here if he were to become a FA.

• December 14, 2006

Mike in KC writes:

As a long-time Royals and Rockies fan, I feel double the pain. I'm thankful that at least the Royals have a new GM that has some knowledge of how to do the job AND has been given the green light to actually make decisions and spend a bit of money. (How smart last week's spending was for Dayton Moore remains to be seen.) Hopefully a good GM and some financial investment will be in place in Denver before long. (I'm not holding my breath.)

That said, I don't necessarily think the Jennings trade was so horrible. Time will tell.

• December 18, 2006

Geoff writes:

Peter, do you have a source for the comment that "Only one team in MLB spends a lower percentage of every dollar it takes in on player payroll than the Rockies"? I wouldn't be surprised if it were true; I'd just like to see the data.

• June 30, 2010