December 16, 2006 12:00 AM

Slime Pays

I'm still amazed at the amounts of money that are being thrown around in sports these days, and baseball in particular. And to give such a huge contract to Bonds is beyond me. So I guess we'll face the inevitable meltdown of Americas pastime together, for it will be its saddest day when Bonds surpasses the great Hank Aaron.

This time of year keeps us all so busy. I'll be prepping my year in review cartoons next week. They'll be in next Saturday's edition of the Rocky. I was hoping we could do a readers vote kind of thing so that all of you could choose the cartoons you liked best but it's been such a year of change here at the Rocky (moving into new digs and all) that it just didn't happen. Maybe next year.

I was sad to hear about Fisher Deberry retiring. He's been great for Air Force football. I haven't done too many Air Force cartoons throught the years but his face is perfect for caricaturing. Best of Luck to you, Fisher, you are a class act all the way.

The Broncos really face must win games the rest of the way. I'll be drawing live for Monday so be sure to check my cartoon then.

• December 16, 2006

Dwayne writes:

I've heard speculation that he has a chance to break Henry Aaron's record in Colorado. I hope the Rockies do very little to celebrate it, short of what Major League Baseball will force them to do if it happens. And before defenders ask for proof, do this...get a baseball card from Bonds' days in Pittsburgh, and one of him now...just look at the dude, from skinny speedster to a stacked slugger...come on.

• December 16, 2006

Randy writes:

Apparently we no longer live in a land of "innocent until proven guilty". We have already gone through one grand jury (where there was no indictment, let alone a trial, or a guilty verdict).

If you know anything about Grand juries, all you hear is the prosecutions side, as well as THEIR evidence. They could not get a jury to indict on just hearing their side. How strong of a case do they really have?

To look at a picture and decide he is on steroids is a joke. Look at your picture when you were 20 years old, then another when you are 40 something. I would guess your picture might change as well. Especially when you work out 6 days a week, as a professional athlete where strength and fitness is the liveline of your career. (His workout routines have been documented in many articles)

• December 16, 2006

me writes:

shut up BONDS DID NOT TAKE FREAKING STEROIDS PERIOD

• December 16, 2006

DK writes:

Thank you "me" for your intelligent post. It really added to things.

• December 16, 2006

Steven writes:

Did he or didn't he? I'm inclined to believed the latter, Randy, usually baseball players don't look better at forty then they did at twenty. That being said, we can't do anything, as at the time he did/didn't take steriods they weren't against the rules. I wish we could go back and re-write history, maybe then we could lay off Pete Rose and beat the rulebook over the heads of all those 'roids players.

• December 17, 2006

distant fan writes:

Bonds is a four letter word. Steroids or not, I cannot appreciate an athlete that had said to a young fan"I don't sign autographs for white people".

• December 17, 2006

JL writes:

Steven,

You and all the other fans that state steroids weren't illegal are completely ignorant. Steroids were illegal however the Players Association wouldn't agree to TESTING for them. Get your facts straight.

• December 17, 2006

Steven writes:

A rule about drugs which doesn't allow drug tests is not a rule, it's a sham. If baseball was at all serious about enforcing the policy, then they should've taken the steps needed to test for them in the players, they didn't. Instead they passed a futile, ineffective rule which, in effect, wasn't really a rule at all.

• December 18, 2006

Rob writes:

I didn't know I was taking steroids, I thought it was just the beef I was eating that was on roids.

• December 19, 2006

Tony Dietz writes:

If you are going to call out Bonds receiving $16 million lets have a little quid pro quo, eh? The Colorado Rockies have a player that makes $17 million and coincidently his Average, Slugging Percentage, and Power have all disappeared with steroids testing. Funny how the Denver Post doesn't follow up on that angle anymore...

Helton will never be the same player without the juice. He should retire in shame.

• December 20, 2006

Ivory Greathouse writes:

I've often wondered,what
    goes on in the mind of tired racist cartoonists. Now I know.
    They get hired by the Denver News Agency. What happened
    to cartoons of Mark Mired in the same slime. Oh! I forgot he's not Black. You and your kind are what's wrong with media, Barry Bonds is no worse than any other ACCUSED! steriod user. Despite confessions by most of those that were caught and confessed, entered pleas in federal court. Oh! but they're
    White. Drew your a racist dog. But one can change,so there's hope,seek help for your low self esteem first the rest should be easy open mind and eyes.

• December 26, 2006

Helton used writes:

Its interesting that you would make this cartoon about Bonds and not about Helton. Take a look at any Helton baseball card when he was in the minors and when he first came into the big league club. Then compare that with what Todd looked like in the steroids era. Helton's neck was actually as wide as his ears. Interestingly he no longer seems to need to get his shirts custom tailored anymore. Helton is white, Bonds is black. Sure, the local boy is innocent and Bonds is guilty right?

• December 26, 2006

Bronc in C Springs writes:

Ivory Greathouse-

If you truthfully believe that Drew is a "racist" because of the message he sends through his cartoons, then you must live in a very lonely world. Again, don't balme him for YOUR discrepencies in life.

The only racism I'm hearing on Drew's pages are coming from your mouth.............