December 10, 2006 9:46 PM

the Disappearing Defense

Drew1211toon.gif

What a mess this season has unraveled into. Everyone was sqawking about how great this Broncos Defense was. Now it's turned into a huge hole in the middle of the field.
I really liked what I saw in the second half from Jay Cutler. It's just a glimpse into the future of a quarterback who has a chance be great once he gets the hang of it.
It's all on the line from here on out. I still think the Broncos can make the playoffs, but clearly this is not a team that is ready to challenge for a Super Bowl title right now. They have too many gaps to fill in the the defensive line, offensive line and they still need another wide receiver and, perhaps, another running back. But I do really like the core of they are buliding on offense.

• December 10, 2006

Mike writes:

What a relief to see Cutler in the second half! That third quarter was a thing of beauty, harkened back to the 97-98 seasons and hopefully it is a glimpse of things to come.

One of the things I liked about the game was seeing the interplay between Plummer and Cutler. Plummer seems to be taking this well.

As for our defense, they have faded away. Injuries, frustrations, and age all are factors. Now that Cutler has proven himself capable, it is up to the Defense to overcome its hurdles and help us end the season on a positive, healthy note.

2007 we will get it all together!

• December 10, 2006

Jerry writes:

I do find it interesting how you publicly berated Plummer over and over through the first half of the season for just about everything and when you finally get Cutler, and he doesn't play any better than Plummer, we don't see anyone berating Cutler. Instead, it's the line's fault, it's the defense's fault, the special teams fault. Sure the guy is a rookie, but Shanahan threw the remainder of the season away by deciding to start Cutler now. Cutler has not in any way played better than Plummer did in terms of making us a contender. And believe it or not, Cutler has NOT played well, only showed flashes of what MIGHT happen. Remember that Brian Griese played well one season too and looked like one of the best QB's in the NFL.

• December 11, 2006

Bill writes:

As I have blogged in recent weeks, I firmly believe all the mishaps start at the play calling (coaching) level. I think the Broncos have enough talent on defense, although Darrant Williams is quickly earning the nickname "Toast" in my Bronco's circle. But I think Coyer's loose zone schemes are killing them, and when they do decide to blitz, seldom if ever does ANY defender get to the QB. I am still thinking of how dirty Cutler's jersey was by mid 1st quarter and how clean (>>insert any other NFL QB's name here<<)'s jersey is near the end of the 4th quarter. No pass rush, bad blitz schemes and offensive plays that are rediculously easy to read for much of the game.

• December 11, 2006

Bill writes:

***ridicuously

• December 11, 2006

Bill writes:

Darn... I am so frustrated I can barely spell "ridiculously"

• December 11, 2006

Dwayne writes:

Everyone who begged for Cutler, you got him now. Take the third quarter for what it was...a glimpse into the future. We all know Mike Shanahan likes calling plays to set up others later in games. I really think he's got Cutler in there setting up for next year. Everytime you hear him asked it's about the Superbowl, and I think he knows this team won't get there, so cut your losses, and give Cutler some learning time.
    As for the defense...Orange Crush is taking a whole new meaning. Early in the year they would bend, but not break...well they broke.

• December 11, 2006

Steven writes:

I agree Drew I thinm our team has a great core to build on, and Cutler certainly is showing distinct flashes of brilliance. I refuse to blame the offensive line or the defense for yesterday, all showed flashes of brilliance yesterday and I don't think anybody could've stopped the Chargers yesterday. I also refuse to blame the coaches, though I still believe that we might have at least one more W if we had stuck with Plummer. All that being said, the Chargers are looking amazing right now, and the Broncos are struggling, why? I don't know, I feel that the Broncos are almost even talent-wise, and on par everywhere else. Maybe it's simply a question of drive and desire, every one of the Broncos losses have come down to one or two critical moments late in the game, where if we get it we win and if we don't we lose. So far we're 0-6 on those moments, which shows me that the other teams simply seem to want it more...

• December 11, 2006

Josh writes:

Stev,
    If you think that you are blind. how many times was Jay hit cause the line couldnt hold their blocks? How many times did our d line get pressure. maybe 2 times and he didnt even get knocked down but maybe 1 time. Pears( I think this is his name) couldnt block his way out of a wet papper bag. Foster doesnt seem to know what the snap count is. Another game and another qb who doesnt have to wash his jersey. We could have Tom brady playing qb for us this year and we wouldnt be any better cause the line cant hold their blocks. They can barely hold them for a 3 step drop. Doesnt matter who is back there if they are getting as little time as our qb is this year they cant do anything. I dont care how Nalen snapps the ball. If you cant take a snap without fumbling one snap a game we are waisting our money on you.

• December 11, 2006

JakeTheFake writes:

That's actually an insult to rats everywhere Drew.

Excellent toon today!

• December 11, 2006

Steven writes:

Josh,
    I'm not saying that the O-line or the Defense doesn't have problems, but I am saying that the glass is more on the half full side. Those lines were doing fine earlier in the year, right now they look banged up and tired. I fully expect them to be a much better unit next year. Also, the D isn't getting pressure because we're not a blitz-heavy team right now, still, we have gotten pressure with the front four in several previous games, so I'm not concerned. Once again, next year I'd expect that to improve. You may notice me looking a lot towards next year, because while I may be somewhat optimistic about what I see on the field, I'm also realistic about our playoff chances. The day Plummer was benched was the day I started looking towards next year. A rookie QB and struggling defense doesn't get you a Vince Lombardi trophy.Still I remain hopeful, hopeful that the lines on both sides of the ball will improve, and hopeful that Cutler will deliver. Please don't blame the O-line entirely. Cutler missed a fair share of opportunities to make the plays when it counted, his third quarter play was brilliant yes, but he made quite a few rookie mistakes (big surprise). Like I said though, I'm an optimist and being an optimist, I will continue to strive to see the good in things, this comment page needs someone who can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

• December 12, 2006

Pete writes:

Hey Arnie, are you kidding? Plummer is a ten-year vet that looks like a rookie; the Broncos weren't going anywhere with him at the helm. They probably won't go anywhere with Cutler at the helm the rest of this year but there's a big difference between the two - Cutler will get better and Plummer won't. Of course you don't hear people complain about Cutler - they all understand that he's a rookie, you expect mistakes. But we shouldn't have to change the entire offensive game plan for a ten-year vet like we did in the first half of the season. Shanahan made the right move, he just didn't make it early enough. And why would you defend the defense? They look awful. Darrent "I got burned long again" Williams needs to start playing - everybody is throwing against him now.

• December 12, 2006

Zman writes:

I like to call Darrent Williams "Instant 6"...

• December 12, 2006

KCBH writes:

Playoffs?

Haha.

Try more like preseason games for the 2007 season.

• December 16, 2006

me writes:

we do have a chance to make playoffs