January 1, 2007 6:21 PM

A Day of Sorrow

It is a day none of us in Denver will ever forget. Senseless violence has broken the hearts of Broncos fans, players, and coaches alike. The NFL has lost a promising young talent, a mother has lost her son and two children have lost a father.

I was to take New Years Day off, instead, I found my way to the drawing board to try and capture the feeling of a community stunned with sudden grief. Sometimes I find drawing can be a form of therapy for me. I certainly understand what loss means and I felt the need to express it in this drawing. I drew several other roughs before I settled on the cartoon above. Needless to say it was a difficult day for us all.

Please feel free to leave your comments.

These are the other rough drafts I did on Darrent Williams.
drew0102ruffBB.gif

drew0102ruffA.gif

drew0102ruffC.gif

• January 1, 2007

Ivory Greathouse Jr writes:

Drew I agree with you it's a
    sad day not just in Denver, but in the world we live in what can be done to stop this mindless violence. We can offer many ideas and reasons
    for this terrible event. But until
    the culture that brings this kind behavior to the forefront,can be changed. We should all pray for the Williams family.

• January 1, 2007

Jacques writes:

Violence cannot be stopped. It's been here the entire time there has been life on this planet.
    People are going to continue to kill others for stupid petty reasons. People most often don't even need a reason.
    Also, prayer isn't going to stop anything. Prayer and religion have often been a reason for killing.
    Human beings created the gun. They didn't just find one randomly and figure out that it killed things. The gun was created with the intention to cease life.
    I just don't simply buy the idea that someone just ripped bullets into that particular limo randomly. It just doesn't happen like that. Someone who was in that limo was a target because of something they did. Period. And Ivory....if you cannot hack my speculation, be my guest and take the train. Don't read what you don't like. No one is forcing you to read anything I have to say. Darrent Williams was no saint. Read about his youth sometime. He has a shady past.

• January 1, 2007

kd writes:

Thank you, Drew, for trying to express the sentiment of so many.

With Jacques seemingly having the answer to everything, and the world's problems all figured out, the rest of us might as well quit and give up. And who knows why he's all defensive about "Ivory" reading his post. And then to conjecture about Darent Williams' past being connected to the shooting is a bit premature, but then again I have to remind myself that Jacques has it all figured out.

Violence may not be able to be eliminated from human society, but we can work to minimize it.

• January 1, 2007

Steven writes:

Shady past or not, any death is tragic. My best wishes go out to the Williams family and those who knew him best. He was a good football player, I sincerely hope those responsible for this crime are brought to justice.

• January 1, 2007

Jacques writes:

Right KD....

I have it all figured out. I can solve all the world's problems. Here...let me snap my fingers or click my heels together.

I'll tell you what I am sick of. I am sick of these overpaid, overpriced football, baseball, or whatever-players that we tend think of as superheros being given every leave. Ray Lewis, Mike Tyson, Rick Tocchet, etc. I am sick of these pro athletes thinking they are above the law. They skate by when they get a DUI, or when they are implicated in wrongdoing (see the shining local boy Carmelo Anthony). Anthony was tied to two marijuana busts. He was clearly involved, but somehow skated because he has a nice smile, and a friggin' boatloat of money.
    I BELIEVE that Darrent Williams, Javon Walker, or SOMEONE in that limo did SOMETHING to make someone shot it full of holes. That's what I BELIEVE. You believe what you want. I am voicing my OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can you tell the difference between an OPINION and someone KNOWING everything??????? Wake up. Pay attention in class. Learn something.

An Tone B writes:

Everyone has a right to say what they want to say or think what they want to think. But no one and I MEAN NO ONE Deserves to be gunned down!!
    My prayers to the Williams Family, Denver Broncos, NFL, and to "Posted by Jacques on January 1, 2007 11:54 PM"

ndcowboy writes:

Jacques,

Right, wrong or indifferent....
    No one deserves to go out like this!!! You seem to know all??? Should we call your sorry ass, God then???
    Get a life!!!!
    God Bless the Williams Family and the Broncos.
    RIP Darrent.
    yah teh hey
    John

Reggie From Alabama writes:

As I sit here in Birimingham ,Al. I'm sadded by the death of Mr. Williams. My prays go out to his 2 son's and mom. I seen the effects of a mother losing her son when my younger brother passed. And the negative comments that a readed named Jacques posted are distrubing. He's probsbly jealous, and has a hard time coping in todays society. I'm a former resident of Denver in "The Good Ole Day's". I stood on the 16th St Mall in the cold in the 80's to cheer The Bronco's on. I'll pray for The Williams family, and Jacque. That's about it.

Erik Russell writes:

UNBEILIVEABLE!! This is all I can say. Darrent Williams was a great player, and a huge asset to the Denver Broncos. I have always been a DIE-HARD FAN, and always will. I moved to Rochester,NY five years ago, and follow the Broncos more every day. This is shock to the orginazation, and my sympathy goes out to all of Williams' family and players, Darrent Williams will always be with us!!

Z-Man writes:

Ever since reading the news about DW I have been absolutely riveted to the story...and I dont know why...

As a life-long Broncos fan, it clearly put some things in perspective. I was absolutely sickened by the Broncos vs. the 49ers. Absolutely no inspiration, completely uncreative playcalling and no feeling of urgency what so ever. I was completely disapponted at the effort and the only positive thing I could say about the outcome of the game was the hopes of a better draft pick.

Reading about the shooting of DW made me completely forget the outcome of the game and the "priority" of professional football for me. I love the game of football...I love what the good examples is can present to everyone, but it also comes with its very dark side. Fans idolize our stars from the NFL (aka John Elway) and completely curse and destroy those who had the chance and fell from grace (aka, Tony Mandarich)

To say that I didnt "speculate" as to the reasons or circumstances around his death would be a total lie. It is natural for anyone to do. I know it is WRONG to do so, but to say it didnt cross my mind would be absolutely ludicrous. I have felt loss and guilt as a part of DW's death. I called him "instant six" and "toast" like many others. All comments that I make as a fan in times where my Broncos Fanatacism got the best of me. Anybody who has played the game would be willing to step on the field once at a chance at glory...but I have rarely though about how glorious it would be for me to be an NFL player and meet 'Joe Blow' fan who has a serious axe to grind with my performance on the field.

The one thing I LOVE about Drew's cartoons is that it provokes THOUGHT and PERSPECTIVE. If everyone thought the same thing or said the same thing, it would be absolutely BORING. Remember that our greatest rights as Americans is the ability to say what you believe while hearing the absolute opposite of what you believe at the same time. There are a number of (shall we say 'spirited') posters on this blog. If they do nothing else they provoke conversation (although vitriolic responses as well). While I may not agree with many of you on this blog, I must give you that opportunity and respond (if I choose) to do so in an intelligent and factual manner. My grandmother always said that we have two ears and one mouth and that we should listen twice as much as we talk...not the other way around...

I'm starting to ramble...retract that...I have been rambling....

Peace on Earth...
    Peace to DW and his family...

Go Broncos!

Mando in El Paso, Tx writes:

Darrent, I always rooted for you and hoped that you would become the next Champ Bailey. I guess God had other plans for you. You will be missed!!

KB writes:

An Tone B,

Do you really think that "SOMETHING" warranted the death of D, a bullet lodged in the head of Nicole and hurting someone else? You are the IDIOT here. Grow up and put your testosterone in the toilet.

k nib writes:

Prayer stops many things,I'm sure Jacques ,someone in your life has prayed for you and the lord has stopped something bad from happening in your life and you did not even know it!Prayer changes things! You can kill somebody by strangeling them, does that mean our hands were made to kill.It is the idiots that choose to pull the trigger, or stab someone,or run over them with a car,etc. ,etc.Darrent may had a "shady" past but lord help us if we are all judged on our past.God bless his family, and have mercy on the cowards that commited this crime.

k nib writes:

sjmushroom writes:

THANK YOUR JACQUES! Finally someone who has something intelligent to say about this. And to Knib: Apparently prayer didn't help Mr. Williams. Are you saying that God wanted Mr. Williams dead, you moron.

Muhammad Ali Hasan writes:

Beautifully drawn, Drew --- this picture captures it all for me - thank you

CLos777 writes:

Jacques what the hell is wrong with you?

You need to grow up... There is time when you should pick your fights and this is not the time...
    What does a 24 year old man's death have to do with DUI's and Drug Busts?
    Nothing at all..

I understand where you are coming from with the breaks they get, but come on, this guys was a father, a brother and a son..

"DW you will be missed"
    My prayers got out to his family on these very tough times....

KNIB writes:

REPLY TO SJ- BEFORE YOU EAT ANOTHER MUSHROOM, ENOUGH OF THE NAME CALLING! I NEVER SAID THE ALL PRAYERS ARE ANSWERED. THAT IS WHY I SAID PRAYER STOPS MANY THINGS FROM HAPPENING NOT ALL THINGS.I PRAY EVERYDAY THAT MY CHILDEREN ARE PROTECTED FROM THE EVIL PEOPLE OF THIS WORLD. BUT I HAVE THE FAITH TO BELIEVE THESE THINGS.ANYWAY GUNS DON'T LOAD THEMSELVES OR FIRE THEMSELVES,SO I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE PUT THE BLAME ON THE GUNS.PEOPLE CHOOSE TO KILL PEOPLE WITH CARS ,SO DO WE BAN ALL CARS? THAT'S ALL FOR NOW.

Missouri Bronco writes:

Thank you for putting our feelings into your art. All of Broncos nation feels this painful loss. Try to remember the toughness and heart of this young man and disregard the victim-blaming negativity of douchebags like Jacques.

Jessica writes:

It is such a tragedy. I am a huge Bronco fan and I share their sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his mother and family as well as the whole Broncos team.

Dave writes:

Thanks to D-Will for giving us Broncos fans some exciting times...
    RIP D-Will

SteveC writes:

Like everybody else I was really upset about the Broncos not making the playoffs. Darrents' tragic death made me realize that football is just a game. While Bronco fans will mourn him and miss him on the field, his family and friends will mourn him for the rest of their lives. Drew, thanks for letting us put our thoughts and prayers into words. Perhaps by doing so we will beging the healing process.
    P.S. I had always thought of Steve Atwaterwhen I saw #27, no I will think of a life cut short also. Darrent Williams, RIP.

Dave Smith writes:

Mr. Litton,

Thank you for capturing the sentiments of all Bronco fans across the nation. I am a former Denverite now residing in Virginia. I have been a Broncos fan back to the early days of John Elway and have enjoyed your drawing for many years. Regardless of locale, the Bronco family is grieving the loss of a family member. Time will heal but it sure hurts right now....

Diane writes:

As a die-hard Broncos' fan, I am deeply saddened by the senseless death of Darrent Williams. I, too, was disappointed in the outcome of the game; funny how a tragedy such as this can put things into perspective. My prayers go out to the Williams family, the Broncos' organization and all of Darrent's "brothers" on the field. I know that God has already put Darrent on the All-Heaven team, along with such players as Brian Piccolo, Pat Tillman and Lyle Alzado. May God bless him and his family always.

Aaron writes:

Thanks for the meaningful drawings. The sobbing player could represent any of us reasonable minded people throughout the region. Regardless of mishaps in one's past--"he who lives in a glass house...", or maybe some verbal barbs exchanged after a night of partying--nobody deserves to be gunned down. Unfortunately our society also consists of too many frustrated, bitter, disillusioned people such as Jacques and other contributors to this blog who sometimes let those sinister elements of their personality boil over into violent, unconscionable acts.

Scott Fiske writes:

Drew, Good Job with the pitcure!! You truly know how to capture the moment at hand, and I thank you for that. I left Denver 11 years ago when I joined the Navy and haven't lived there since, but I will ALWAY be a die hard Denver fan and have followed your drawings ever since I was a young boy. Thank you for all the memories and thank you for your wonderful artwork!!

Chris Higman writes:

Drew,
    A very day for Broncos fans everywhere. A huge tragedy for a young man who was highly regarded by team mates and the public. He did the right thing by not drinking and driving on New Year's Evening.

The sunday loss was nothing in comparison to the loss of Darrent.....

Mauikid writes:

Peace to all, Drew great images for a sad reason. I grew up in Los Angeles went to high school with Elway. I live in San Diego now..BUT I AM STILL ONE OF THE BIGGEST So. Cal BRONCO FANS OUT HERE..MY SON WHO IS NOW 16 IS RIGHT THERE WITH ME....this Jack___ I mean Jacques person needs to have a heart and love a little more. God Bless your D-Will and your family. Love all.

melvinowens writes:

you need to send jacque's inflammatory message to the police. perhaps, he knows something, or might possibly be the shooter

kristi fearno writes:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who knew Williams, loved him and loved watching him take the field for the Broncos. I live in SW Kansas and have been a Bronco fan all my life. This was a very senseless act made by a coward, someone that didn't have guts enough to stand up, but choose to hide behide a gun. I hope they catch you and hang you.

Jim R writes:

My heart and prayers go out to Darrent Williams' family and friends. He may have had his problems as a youth, but who of us hasn't. It appeared to me that he had matured and accepted responsibility for his life. One thought I haven't seen any comments on. If you have seen a limo, you must know how dark the passenger windows are. There is no way to see in, especially at night. If Darrent was targeted, it was simply luck that he was hit.

Bronx33 writes:

Heart felt condolences from those at the orangemane to the williams family we are a bronco communtity that was with darrent through the highs and the lows of his short career. I and a few maners got to meet darrent briefly after the jets game last year, and darrent was more than happy to give us a bit of his time. Just a great all round kid with a great smile and personality. Feel sorrow now but remember he made those around him feel better being so approachable and friendly (he certainly made me feel good)

RIP 27

Ben Crane writes:

Drew you really have made another classic despite the tragic nature of it. This is exactly how I, and any one who has cheered for the Broncos feels right now. I was a huge fan of Derrent and was lucky enough to meet him on several occasions. He was always smileing and gracious to his teammates and the media. His attitude will be missed around both. God bless his mother and two sons.

D writes:

Jacques has made points. However they are misguided.
    No one is guilt free in this world, so his "shady past" is irrelovent to this situation. He obviously isn't the same person as when he was younger, for that matter, the person or person's involved in the shooting are really the ones to rant about. They most likely had a shady past-present, and future.
    The shooter is a coward who needs to find God & ask forgiveness... Just before the State of Colorado puts a needle in his/her arm.
    Jacques, some of your points are valid, just not hodge-podged together in an un-simpathetic rant.

Die hard Ks Broncos fan writes:

When I saw on the internet about Darrent, I went into shock. Here a life was cut short on a promising career. I live in Hays Ks. which is the half way point between Denver & Kansas City. I was born in Denver & love all Denver sports. My heart & prayers go out to his family, his mother, uncle & two children. When the Broncos' games were on tv I enjoyed watching Darrent play! My prayers are also to the Broncos & all of us fans. To the Broncos just know you now have an angel looking out for you.

MissouriBroncosFan writes:

Great picture for a sad reason. We here in my house are Broncos fans and even in Missouri, we are feeling the loss.

As for Jacques' comments...
    Random or not, target or not, it was a senseless end of life for someone so young and with such a promising future in front of him. Violent death is never sensible no matter who it happens to. Don't forget the bigger picture. He was a son and a father to two small children. One of which will never really know her father. I think that's what matters most here. Yes, he was a football player, but more importantly, he was those other things first and foremost.

My condolences are with his family.

Life Long Fan writes:

Drew,
    Thanks for the cartoon ... I think you very effectively captured the emotions we all are feeling as Bronco fans. More importantly, you captured what being a fan really is. In competitive sports you have the opportunity to go as far as your ability can take you. Race, ethnicity and/or religion don't matter ... what matters is what you can accomplish on the field. Football is one vehicle (I wish there were many more) that give us hope that one day we can be judged by the strength of our character and not the color of our skin. And when we lose a fine young man like DW , we lose a bit of our hope as well. As a life long Denver Bronco fan and a fan of the human condition, a shed a tear for our loss ... yet I am still hopeful.

Dwayne writes:

Amazing the perspective the loss of life has on people, and a game. Many of us show our feelings of regret for a guy we watch every Sunday. Others who have a slanted look on life have no heart to show remorse. So be it.

You'll be missed Darrent, and not just on the football field. R.I.P. 27

Jessica writes:

Drew,
    Thank you for your drawing. It is an amazing, yet simple way of capturing the grief that we are all feeling right now. I always love your cartoons and this is wonderfuly. We will definitely miss Darrent Williams and it was an awful way for him to go.

David Ray writes:

New Years eve, my wife and I retired soon after midnight. I seemed to toss and turn all night and around 4:30 am I went to the computer and turned it on. I was shocked to see the passing of Darrent Williams. If one could have a flashback in life, it was I who had one right then and there. For it was nearly 29 years ago in 1978 as I sat watching Saturday Night Live and a news flash intrerrupted programing to announce the death of California Angels All-Star outfielder Lyman Bostock. At first I thought that it was one of those phony commercials that Saturday Night Live always had. Within moments I realized that my youth had just ended. I was 15 years of age back then and for the life of me I couldn't understand how someone could kill a sports figure such as Lyman. I have grown much since then and with daily flahes of violence on the news everyday, nothing really surprises me anymore. That was the case at least until the early morning hours of Jan. 1st, 2007. I relived all those feelings of yesteryear. This could hopefully be a lesson to small children to stay away from guns because they now see the damage that can be done. Darrent's death I can compare to Lyman Bostock's death for they were each fine gentlemen and were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Both there lives symbolize the thousands of lives that are taken each year by guns. We as a society owe it to our children to make the world a safer place for them and tougher hand gun laws need to be enacted upon society. And failure to obey these laws should lead to much tougher prison sentences. I am not for the banning of all guns. And I do not know what the answer is. Nobody does. But everyday people argue with me and say the "Guns don't kill people. People kill People". And I answer back "Yes, People with guns".

Jacques writes:

Most aren't going to like this, but i'm going to chime in again. Read on if you wish. If you don't want to...turn away.

People get killed all the time in this country. Yes...in Denver too. What I want to know is this....

What makes Darrent Williams any more important than the transient who say, gets run over by a bus, or murdered by some person who wants his warm jacket for the winter. Nothing. Except that everyone knows that Williams played corner for the hometown Broncos. Darrent Williams means nothing to me. I didn't know him any more than I knew the hypothetical transient who gets offed by said person wanting his jacket.
    I heard on the radio that there is some kind of foundation set up for Darrent's kids. What???? You mean the contract he signed with the Broncos isn't a good start? Come on people. How about shelling a few bucks the way of people that are really hurting for something. We all know the Broncos are aleady going to take good care of Darrent's kiddies and Ex. How about getting off the collective keisters and protesting to the governer's or mayor's office to get the damn police to actually POLICE the city.
    People actually think praying does anything. Please. Give me a break.
    I heard Shanahan say on the radio that "God took Darrent Williams." Uh....Mike....Wake the hell up. Another person SHOT Darrent Williams. God had nothing to do with it unless God was hanging out at the night club and decided to play trigger-dude at that particular moment. Get off the "God's Will" crap for a moment and realize that if there really is a God, and he loves us all....I seriously doubt he would have allowed Darrent to be offed like that unless he deserved it.
    And well....there you have it.

Katy writes:

Darrent Williams was and still is loved by many for many differnt reasons. It is a sad day when any life is lost, especially in such a tragic way. Even those who didn't know Darrent or have never even heard his name should hang their heads in sadness that such an act even happened.
    My heart and prayers go out to your friends and family Darrent. May you rest in peace.

Jacques writes:

Um....interesting.

Posted by melvinowens on January 2, 2007 01:18 PM

Thanks Melvin. I really appreciate the fact that just because I'm ranting in a way that you fail to agree with, you are now implicating me in this crime. That's great. Do you realize that slander is a crime? Think about that for a minute, might you?

David Ray writes:

You know Jacques, kids and good people are probably reading these postings and you sure do not have any regard or respect for them when they are reading this. Hope you don't have kids yourself. But then again, how could someone whose not a man have any children anyhow?

Jacques writes:

No...I don't have kids. And I'm not really worried that they might read what I have to say. In fact, I hope many of them do. They would learn that it's okay to have a varied opinion of something that happens. Like....was it okay for Iraq to kill Saddam? There are varied opinions.
    I'm not saying that I'm happy that Darrent Williams is dead. In fact, I think it's terrible. But that doesn;t mean I don't just go on with my life. 3,000 American soldiers are dead because an Administration wanted to make sure they made a lot of money on oil. It's sad, but I go on with my life. People die. People get murdered. People get sick. People go to war.
    It all sucks. But I still beleive that people need to realize that there is a much bigger picture than Darrent Williams. His death serves to make people pay attention for a while. Eventually, football season will start again....the mourning will happen for a while. Games will be dedicated. Then Darrent will become somewhat of an afterthought, just like Pat Tillman became an afterthought. Name me one person you know that said boo about Pat Tillman during this season. He doesn't really matter anymore, right? It's old news. That, people, is what sucks. I do hope that this killer is found and prosecuted. I have zero faith in the American justice system, however. So, of course, the person will probably either walk on a technicality or end up with some bogus life sentence that proves nothing. Anyway.....the hell with it. This is my last post here. Celebrate.

Kathy writes:

First - Jacques, I feel very sorry for you. Your perception of things are sad. I would hate to see the color of the sky in your world. Second - Drew, that cartoon is perfect. It isn't that Darrent Williams is better than the homeless person on the street. It's that people knew exactly who he was. The feeling of his loss is more personal for people. Violence like that is sad no matter who the victim is. The fact that Darrent Williams was the victim just brings it to peoples attention more.
    The taking of a life so violently is the same no matter who it is.

David Ray writes:

Miss Kathy,

I couldn't have said it any better. The only think that has made me smile or laugh over the past day and a half. is thinking back when Darrent had his Fro-Hawk hairdoo. That image will forever be in my mind. It helps to sometimes remember those type of things. We all mourn our own way and Jacques, being the lonely person that he is, probbaly has to release his fears the only way he knows how and that is by being so negative towards others. That will mask his insecurities that he has developed over his lonely life. I wish he could understand that all people are good whether they believe in God or don't believe, and that there is no reason why they can not be civil towards on another. It's makes for a better world that he keeps complaining about. Yet, he offers no solutions to the problem.

DJWebs writes:

Jacques, you need therapy. To take a tragic, senseless murder like this and turn it into your own personal diatribe is pathetic. What makes you think that Darrent Williams was the target? What makes you think that there was any particular target at all? This type of murder is called extreme indifference homicide because it is accomplished with an attitude that evidences universal malice toward life in general. So to have you say that Darrent Williams was no "saint" and that he had a "shady past" is, at the very least, insensitive toward a grieving family, but more likely simply ignorance manifesting itself as an attempt at intelligence. I pity you for it is quite apparent that yours is a hollow, angry life in which you strike out at others to try and justify your own misery.

Coach Rob writes:

I felt sad that we did'nt make it to the play-offs. As is our tradition we prayed for the Broncos and wished them well in the off season and stated we would see them next year. Then the news from Denver came in. I felt sick , hurt ,for the Broncos are our extended family. God did'nt take his life, it was the theif who comes to kill, steal and destroy. He will not be forgotton, his memory will live on. We donot know why bad things happen to good people. But we keep our faith in God, for he said vengence is mine saith the Lord I will repay. Our God is a God of justice, that I leave the Williams family. May God Bless you and ease your grief.

scharlyne writes:

we will never know the actual
    motive for this tradgedy and
    regardless what it was no
    human being rather it was
    darrent williams or anyone
    deserves to die so tragically .
    he was takened away from his mother his children and
    friends family and fans from all over we keep the williams
    family in our prayers. r.i.p
    darrent for you are loved and
    you will be missed by us all
    your fans

sincerely a bronco fan

generalsticks writes:

i ibelieve that we are all born with free will....whether one believes it's by god's design or nature's who knows? i have also come to understand that god doesn't kill people in plane crashes, car accidents, drive by shootings, etc...god doesn't design or build airplanes...humans do.....no one is forced to fly...god doesn't design or build cars....humans do...nor is anyone forced to get behind the wheel....god does not design or manufacture weapons....humans do....it seems to me that anyone who can honestly turn their life around deserves respect ,,,,,,.what i can't fathom is the total lack of respect for human life shown by whomever sprayed the bullets into the limo, and others like them.... my question is how much longer are we going to tolerate it as a society.....before we scream ENOUGH!!!!!!!! to entertain the notion that it makes a difference if it was random or not.....you got to be kidding.......

Loni writes:

Drew, thanks for always drawing the perfect thought! Having, a few years ago, lost a close high school family member who played football my heart aches. Greg also was "too young and too talented" to die. I know trite words don't heal the pain that NEVER goes away. Peace, love and God's blessings to Rosalind (no parent should have to attend a child's funeral); his family but especially his babies. I believe God has a special place in His heart for Darius and Jaelyn. I look forward to seeing what they accomplish as a result of having been Darrent's!!!

Mz Johnson writes:

RIP to Mr Williams,this is a very sad and unfortunate way to start the new year. My condolences go out to his family. Jacques...I agree with u to a certain extent, but u are talkin that hateful BS!! You should understand that HELL is just as real as HEAVEN, so how about considering that THE DEVIL has a lot of power too. It's not fair to say that he was shot because he provoked someone. He may have just been an innocent party. That's just like saying that if a child is getting abused by someone, then they must have provoked it somehow. Unfortunately in life bad things happen to good people sometime. Darrent is notjust recognized because he was a DENVER BRONCO, he has done good in a lot of ways and have touched people in so many POSITIVE ways! There's no need to be so negative.If it was one your loved ones that was injured, I bet you would call on GOD first and foremost. It's coo to have your own opinion, but just have one without being so disrespectful. By the way, the way your talking, it does sound like you have something to do with it, so make sure you PRAY when the DPD gets ready to question you about your comments (and whereabouts) after they pull this offline,,,GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Gwen writes:

Thank you so much Drew for that, it expresses my (and many others) feelings perfectly. I've been a Broncos fan for years, never miss a game, and I am just devastated by this tragedy. When I turned on the news Monday morning, it was the first thing I heard and my heart just dropped. As bad as I'm feeling, it can't even come close to the grief his family is going through and I extend my deepest condolences.
    He is loved by many in Broncoland and will be missed very much. Rest in peace Dee.

Jeff S writes:

After the game I started listing to 850 KOA to Lou in the Grill. He quickly began by putting the game in perspective by saying that "this was just football" and "that there were more important things then football". I completly agreed and immediatly put the season behind me. Then the next afternoon my heart just sank when I heard the news. I could barley hold it in and evertime I think of D.W. I just picture him and his huge smile. My heart and prayers go out to all those who knew him.

• January 3, 2007

Mary writes:

For Jacques
    First - true, Darrent Williams wasn't a saint - in fact, he spoke of his 'bad boy years' (12-17 as I recall) where he hung out with the wrong crowd & was painted with the same brush, whether he did anything wrong or not. He was lucky enough to find a good mentor who turned him around, which is why he made it to college & on to the NFL. Have you considered being a mentor?

Second - no - he is not more important than anyone who dies senselesslyl however, because of his celebrity, maybe someone will have the guts to come forward & testify & put the murdered in jail. Now that this death is linked to other murders, it is especially critcal to get these thugs off the street - for ALL our sakes.

Third - I am still trying to figure out how you think he was "asking" to be murdered. Even if he was part of the verbal altercation (which never escalated beyond shouting), how does that justify it to a sane person? Even if he refused to give up his jewelry to thugs. how does that justify it to a sane person? Even if one of his crowd was all in red and a Crip in blue got bent about it, how does that justify it to a sane person? And - assuming any of those justify it in your mind. how is unloading 14 bullets into a limo with other folks besides Williams a reasonable response?

I sincerely hope the cops find this butcher & the courts put the person away for a long, long time (since I am sure that they won't be able to go for the death penalty) - say - until Williams children are grandparents!

• January 3, 2007

Dwayne writes:

There is a reason that Darrent Williams murder is high profile. He played for the Denver Broncos. No, that doesn't make him any better than anyone else who is killed. But the fact is he played on a team that is very high profile in Denver, and the nation. He played a game that is high profile. Everyone knows who he is. Every Bronco fan feels a small connection with him because he played for the Broncos.

Any true Denver native understands the impact of the Denver Broncos in the city of Denver. If you play for the Broncos you are a celebrity in Denver. It goes with being in the public light. That is why there is much said about Darrent Williams death, because most of Denver knows of him.

For those that want to paint him a thug because of his past you should realize your narrow mindedness. Yeah he had a checkered past as a youth. He turned that around.

Corn rows and big baggy clothes doesn't mean the guy is a gansta, or a thug. Someone lost their father, son, friend, or teammate.

• January 4, 2007

Rachelle Berven writes:

All I have to say is may God be with the Williams family. Rest in peace Dee.

• January 4, 2007

Justin Adams writes:

Hey guys,

You know I find it funny how someone can take all the attention off a situation and place it to themselves. This is more than a death of a football player, but a symbol of the times we live in. As long as there is sin in the world there will be deaths to not only football players, but to fathers, sons, and so on.

Another young man has died too soon in our eyes once again. And it doesn't matter about his race, profession, or religious preference. Let's remember the life that we all have now and not argue with each other because of stupidity.

God Bless to not only the Williams family, but to every family from my hometown of Montbello to Grand Junction that has to cope with the senceless killings!

• January 4, 2007

Jack writes:

There's an old saying. You lay down with dogs, you're going to get fleas. Let's not be naive about this entire situation.

• January 5, 2007

Sean writes:

I am most impressed by how Darrent did turn his life around. And he in turn tried to help so many others with his wotk back home in Texas. The fact that he had problems as a child, aand became a very positive role model for people today is a testament to his strength, his character, and his love.
    Rest in Peace Dee.
    The world is a sad place today.

• January 6, 2007

R writes:

from raidernation, peace.

• January 6, 2007

Kristien writes:

Jacques,

I have read all of your comments and tried to keep an open mind. But you have made some disrespectful comments that are worthy of criticism.

It's true that many people die on a daily basis, an unfortunately sad fact in this world. It's also sad that the United States, while so advanced in the world, is one of the most violent nations in the world.

So why do so many of us mourn for Darrent Williams? Well, why do you mourn for someone you know who passes away? Because they have touched your life. Because you feel for their children, their family, their friends, etc. I never met Darrent Williams, but as an avid Broncos fan, I have watched him and cheered him on over the past two seasons and he touched my life from a distance.

This is not to say that I don't also feel sad for those who lose their lives on a daily basis at the hands of senseless acts, because I do. But it is a normal reaction to mourn more deeply for someone who touched your life.

On to the disrespectful comments: It would be jumping to dangerous conclusions to think that Darrent Williams did anything to result in his own death.

With regards to his past, everyone has a past (not that I would call his shady) and the most important thing is who he was when he died and where he was going. He was doing some great things and was going to educate young people to stay out of gangs. This makes it really hard for me to believe that he "deserved" his death.

And from all of the accounts I have read from people that ACTUALLY KNEW HIM, he was friends with pretty much everyone he encountered, did not have a fiery attitude, and was more likely to have tried to stop the altercation.

I'd like to conclude with this: If you're going to form your own opinion about Darrent Williams, please sit down and read ALL the facts before doing so. You'd probably regret your earlier statements.

• January 6, 2007

AvsnBroncoFanInKy writes:

I remember how hard it was for all of us Broncos fans those multiple times we had to suffer through one humiliating Super Bowl loss after another. Then I remember the unabated joy we all felt seeing them finally win one. Now, it will be a bittersweet off-season for us all, because one of our own will never get the chance to wear a ring like all the other greats.

We salute you D-Will. Nobody's perfect, and we won't fault you for it. You made the best of what you had, turned things around for the better, and that made you an even greater person.

I only have one thing to say now that he is gone: Next season, God help whoever plays against Denver...

RIP #27...We Miss You...

• January 6, 2007

Kristien writes:

Jacques,

• January 7, 2007

Amie R writes:

I was reading some of these comments on this page and it really makes me sad. A friend of mine just lost her 19 year old daughter that was an OKC Hornet's Honeybee dancer and the mother actually got horrible comments sent to her about her daughter. These deaths of the people that are in the PROS should not be put in vain. They are all just like us they just make a lot more money. We are all people of GOD. God has a reason for everything and I know Darrent is probably up there in heaven playing football and the Honeybee is probably dancing and they don't have to deal with us down here on earth that are so ugly to others. They have a peaceful life. My son is 15 years of age and he is a big Denver Bronco fan..he keeps asking why mom did this happen to him? I don't have that answer but I really don't want him reading some of this garbage that people are saying about this football player because my son looked up to him as a role model. He never got to meet him but he would always use him for his PS2 when he played Madden and he always watched him when he was an OSU Cowboy. So people please leave this poor man alone and let him rest at peace. Darrent you will be missed and my son will sure miss watching you. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Williams family and the Denver Bronco family.

• January 8, 2007

John Carreon writes:

I am a die hard Bronco fan in living in Houston, Texas. The loss to the 49ers hurt me as a fan but the death of Darrent Williams hurt me a lot deeper. As fans, we sometimes forget that the athetes we look up to and cheer for are real people. This senseless death stunningly reminds me that Darrent Williams was a real person with a family and dreams... just like me.

Peace out Darrent.. tell my grandpa I said hello..

By the way Drew... your cartoon after Darrent's death and the one you drew after Pat Tillman's death are both amazing.

• January 8, 2007

John Carreon writes:

Peace out Darrent.. tell my grandpa I said hello..

• February 3, 2007

davidvogt writes:

Your article is very informative and helped me further.

Thanks, David

• May 17, 2007

anthony silva writes:

D-Will u dont know how much u mean to me and i i will never forget u. u will always be a bronco and always be in my heart. i will always remember #27 R.I.P