January 12, 2007 12:00 AM

Excess Baggage

Too bad that Mark McGwire just didn't admit to the steroids stories when he should have. Now he's paying the price and facing the consequences. Sorry ,but, I'm one of those who believe that McGwire, Sosa and Bonds should never be allowed into the Hall. And I side with the Maris family. Give it back to Roger until Albert Pujols can pulverize the record without the help of performance enhancing drugs. It's time to clean up the mess, for baseball to admit its mistakes and make the changes necessary so that it can never happen again.

• January 12, 2007

Mike writes:

Drew, great image. I have only one thing to add about your commentary on the three roideteers: *

Mike

• January 12, 2007

Distant Fan writes:

Right on Drew. I shed no tears for the roid users. Let them look in from the outside.
    I have no love lost for Bonds or his team. He should have been dumped long ago, but the Giants prefer income to dignity. The roid boys are the real losers and Bonds is the wart on baseball's fanny.

Pete

• January 12, 2007

Rob writes:

There won't be any asterisks because even the old stand by classics of watching the grass grow and the paint dry aren't pure anymore. They're all chemically enhanced perfomances these days.

• January 12, 2007

Mark Selleck writes:

drew love you dude puljos uses HGH smae difference they all cheated pitchers to trust me i know all of the players are using HGH anyone playing baseball after 1988 or so has cheated everyone of them the little guys got a little bigger and faster/quicker and the bigger guys got big big

• January 12, 2007

Dwayne writes:

I don't need an * to realize that Roger Maris is the all-time HR king for a season, and Hank Aaron will continue to be the all-time career HR king. What hurts is McGwire was one of my favorites...But let's not talk about the past.

• January 12, 2007

Rob writes:

I thank you for your commentary. Impatience has become the virtue of our society. We look for the "quick fix" rather than seeking to build charector over time. What does this circumstance reflect of our own values? I wonder if we even know what it means to earn anything any longer.

• January 12, 2007

Jacob writes:

Drew, how can you be so sure that Mcgwire used steroids yet completely convinced that albert pujols does not? I didn't realize that you were both of their physicians

• January 13, 2007

distant fan writes:

Jacob, since Mr. Litton is in the business of sports he just may have some very good sources of information that you will never know about

Pete