January 3, 2007 12:00 AM

Missing Darrent

First off, I want to Thank everyone for the comments that you have left on Tuesdays blog about the Darrent Williams cartoon and all of your condolences for Darrent's family. It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful Broncos fans are. I appreciate knowing that the image connected with some of you. I feel we have a great group of people who log on to this blog and your postings are a testament to that.

All of this for me has reopened some personal feelings of grief associated with my own losses in recent years. Having lost my wife to cancer in 2004 and my father just 8 months later leaves those scars very close to the surface. Even though I have since remarried a wonderful lady named Marcia, it doesn't take away the void that I feel for my late wife Debbie. I have learned grief is a life long process and the wounds heal but never really go away. This cartoon is very auto-biographical. Some things about life I just don't understand. I never will. So I think this cartoon might resonate that. I've learned that God is God and I am not. I leave it at that.

I didn't know Darrent Williams but I felt his smile. All of us who saw him only through TV felt its radiance. I'm hoping when the healing begins for our community we will be better for having had Darrent apart of it for the time that we did. I'm hoping we will rise above the senseless acts of violence that took his life in the such a tragic way. We've lost too many bright and shining young lives in similar ways. I hoping for it to end. It would be the ultimate tribute a community could pay to Darrent Williams.

I will be taking a few days off to regroup a little bit. I'll return here on Saturday with a lighter cartoon about bowl games and the NFL playoffs. Until then. Be kind to each other.

• January 3, 2007

Mike writes:

Drew,

Thank you. This one cartoon captured the feelings in my heart about this tragedy.

Maybe this time we can learn from Darrent Williams' senseless death and as you put it, "be kind to each other." It is a new year, a good time to start.

• January 3, 2007

RUSS writes:

REST IN PEACE DARRENT FROM A KANSAS CITY CHIEFS FAN LIVING IN DENVER:(

• January 3, 2007

Tulsa Bronco Fan writes:

My heart goes out to Mr. Williams family, friends, and his team mates, I truly loved watching him play, he did indeed have an excitement of playing, week after week, we as Bronco fans have a hole in our hearts, we will miss you Mr. Williams, we will miss your smile. God Bless you #27

• January 3, 2007

Lance Hensen writes:

Thanks from Shenandoah Iowa for capturing the sentiments of many bronco (any football) fans across america.
    I was awakened on New Years day with the news by a phone call from my 12 year old son who was staying with a friend. Talk about hitting close to home on this one!

• January 3, 2007

Charles Gallegos writes:

Darrent Williams truly was a fun person to watch. Being stationed here in South Carolina, I was not able to watch every single game. However, the games that I did watch were enjoyable because of players like Bailey and Williams; not just because they are super athletes, but because they were always smiling and having fun.

Denver Broncos fans are, indeed, the best fans, but it is truly sad to know that there are terrible people in our midst that have a total disregard for human life. I hope and pray that somebody has the integrity to come forth and give the police the information that will lead to the arrest of this worthless individual.

From the Naval Weapons Station in Charleston, SC my thoughts and prayers go out to the Williams family.

Rest In Peace #27.

• January 3, 2007

Steven writes:

Great 'toon Drew, I don't think anyone could've done it better.

• January 3, 2007

Jessica writes:

Thanks again Drew for another cartoon that really captures the feelings. And thanks for your honest words because we're all having a hard time dealing with this right now. Sometimes it helps just to hear someone else's thoughts and perspectives on loss.

• January 3, 2007

Katie writes:

A VERY touching cartoon indeed. Nice work. =)

• January 3, 2007

Brian writes:

Drew,
    I am student teaching in a 1st grade class, and some of the students were asking me about DW today. This cartoon really hit home.

• January 3, 2007

Mary writes:

2 great 'cartoons' in a row about this - and most of the postings go along with them.

It is one of the times when the phrase 'crying shame' is literally true. Any death diminishes us all, but I always feel worse the younger & more senseless the death is - in other words, while I am sorry for the Ford family (since he was 93, and he lived to see children & grandchildren, and had a chance to fulfill his life's promise, not so much) - my heart actually aches for Darrent Williams' family.

• January 3, 2007

charlie writes:

Everytime I think about this I want to cry. Watching the Broncos play is about more than winning and losing, and Darrent Williams made the game so much fun to watch.

Steve Atwater was a great #27 and he left some big shoes to fill, however I can never imagine another player wearing Darrent's number 27 again.

• January 4, 2007

Ted in Vegas writes:

The end comes for us all; it was just too soon to lose Darrent.

Let's all take stock of our lives and consider our futures - especially the eternal ones.

I just Darrents faith was in Christ so his eternity is secure.