February 22, 2007 12:00 AM

Bonds and Baseball

What I wish most for Spring Training is for Barry Bonds to just go away. As long as he continues his quest to break Hank Aarons home run record there can be no peace in Baseball. The game is at a crossroads, haunted by the past few seasons of Steroids stories. With Bonds in the limelight there is little hope to heal the wounds that steroids have inflicted on Americas pastime.

Of course, Bonds won't leave and so we a forced to endure his selfish pursuit of a record he has no right to own given the doubt and accusations and investigations that follows him. It is baseball's stickiest subject and one that makes good cartoon fodder.

• February 22, 2007

Chuck writes:

Here's hoping he blows out one of his steriod-weakened knees in Spring training to the point that he can never step onto a major league field again.
    Just the fact that he passed Ruth while using the juice is sickening.

• February 22, 2007

Mike writes:

I hope you're not suggesting you hate Barry Bonds, Drew.

• February 22, 2007

Brad writes:

I left baseball 10 years ago and Barry Bonds only reinforces that decision. My bet is that most records being broken should have an asterisk due to performance enhancing drugs. It was a sad day when the Babe lost his record to this cheater and I wonder what Henry really feels about being passed by this bum.

• February 22, 2007

Keith writes:

Drew, Don't you HATE the fact that Bonds will break Hank's record? I know I do. But wait, you can't hate, cause all you want in life is "love, sweet love."

• February 22, 2007

Keith writes:

Honestly, where is the "love, sweet love" for Bonds that you were crying about in your last cartoon? In your last email you talked about hate being so ugly. Then you draw a cartoon about Bonds getting pricks up his rear end. Isn't that hateful? Where is your liberal love towards everyone? If Bonds was gay, I honestly don't think you would ever draw this cartoon.

• February 22, 2007

Mark writes:

I've never posted before but could not resist. Drew, I think you don't need to worry about critics when they look at your personification of baseball and think it is Barry Bonds. Someone that missed the point that badly can't be relied upon to provide valid criticism. I don't always agree with you but you make me think. No writer is more boring that one that I always agree with. Thanks and keep up the great work. Please.