February 20, 2007 12:00 AM

Squawkins!

drew0220.gif

I know that Dan Hawkins originally went bonkers about a few parents asking about their kids summer vacation schedules awhile back (recruiting day to be exact) but it was only recently that we all heard the recording of it. Over and over again actually. And since I just came back from a few days off I thought it was a good topic. I've gotta tell you the Hawkins tirade kind of worries me a bit. I mean if the guy is going to blow a gasket about giving players time off in the summer just imagine what he will be like should the Buffs lose another 10 games next year. Gee whiz, Hawk, pick your spots to go whacko or this whole thing could be one large bottle of Rolaids for ya pal.

I managed to get a few concepts today which is always good. That helps get me back into the week a little easier than ,say, total writers block which often hits me roughly five days a week.

A BIG thanks to my friend Steve Oelrich, here at the News, who dropped off a wonderful new Lone Ranger comic book on my desk. I'm a huge Lone Ranger fan. So that was a great way to come back to work. Looking forward to seeing the last few episodes of Studio 60 by Aaron Sorkin. It hasn't been what I had hoped it would be. If you want to see a great show go buy the Sports Night DVD's. It was Sorkin at his best. And a must for sports fans.

• February 20, 2007

Dwayne writes:

Keep doin what your doin Dan. I'd rather hear passion for the game than Gary Barnett's lame excuses for everything.

• February 20, 2007

MJ writes:

The Buffs are far better off with Hawk at the helm than Barnett. But I agree Drew, if he keeps blowing up, it could make for a long year.

• February 20, 2007

Sean writes:

Tirade??? Go whacko??? Drew you must have a really soft underbelly because I could of slept through that.

• February 20, 2007

Gary T. writes:

Drew,his tone is a reflection of his personality. Hawk is full of fire. Better that than a lifeless Barnett.

• February 20, 2007

Keith writes:

Drew, u really are a big liberal-weenie, aren't you? Especially of late. What's with u? You had a cartoon whinning about black people being overlooked for head coaching jobs in the NFL - just because of their race. Then you had a cartoon that shows u despise hunters and guns. Now your whinning about Coach Hawk trying to get his team to stop being a bunch of wusses. Listen, CU sucks and Hawk knows it so he wants them to practice more. Then he gets this letter from the parents whinning - like u - about not having enoug time off. Seriously, grow some balls Drew.

• February 20, 2007

Jacob writes:

hawk has a point though, it is division I football, it is the big 12, these kids have a job, their job is to play football and make money for the school, it would be different if they went 9-3 last year and won the cotton bowl, but this is a team that lost to montana st. at home!!!! If i were coaching, i would give them a week off at the end of the year and that's it

• February 20, 2007

Ben writes:

Dan Hawkins is about as overrated as a coach could get. The Buffs WILL be a losing team once again.
    Bank on it.