March 3, 2007 12:00 AM

Broncos Busy-Season

I can hardly wait for the Broncos season to start just so things will slow down a little bit. Actually I love the off-season, free agency, the draft and just everything that goes with the NFL. It's fun to sit back and see what the Broncos have in mind in building a team.

I will reserve my comments on the reports that Jake Plummer has turned down the Tampa Bay deal until we know for sure all of the details. Suffice to say if it is true Jake is an even stranger bird than I thought he was.

I'm off to Spring Training so my next cartoon will be on Thursday and then from Tucson on Friday. Look forward to blogging from there.

Til' then,
I'm on the Toonerville Trolley,

• March 3, 2007

I wonder now who Denver will overpay for to backup Cutler, at least until Cutler shows himself to be not quite up to par based on all the hype that surrounds him. Basically, Cutler is the mirror image of Rex Grossman. Tons of potential in the eyes of people wearing Bronco colored glasses, but he's destined to be the QB equivalent of Ashley Lelie. Basically, highlty touted, but a bigtime bust. Not Ryan Leaf, but still a bust. Count on it.

• March 3, 2007

Father writes:

Tom- I have definitely agreed with you in the past about the "me me me" athletes and their antics- Terrell Owens is the worst sports figure of all time and Melos recent "slap" showed that these players talk a big game of street toughness but can't back it up. Your recent articles about the amount of money these players make for playing a "game" though is incorrect. Yes they do make a lot of money, but the "game" is actually a business and these players are the best at what they do. It is just another form of entertainment. Sports and its players should not be held to a different standard than any other form of entertainment just because you don't like it. Look at the record industry or hollywood and what some musicians and actors are being paid? It's highly insane as well- but because they are the best at what they do and people want to see them they will continue to be in the spotlight and receive large amounts of money for it. It's basic business man, supply and demand. 70,000 people every Sunday cheering for the Broncos is a big demand, and the Broncos are just supplying what the people want. Your blast of Cutler is a little premature as well. I know you will reply back with your now famous "It's my opinion and if you don't like it, don't read it" jargon, but the guy hasn't played a full season yet. Calling him a "bigtime bust" this early in his career is a bold statement, but I will give you credit for throwing it out there.

• March 3, 2007

Thanks Father.

Just stirring the pot.

It's a fun job. Gives others a chance to voice what they feel too. And good show to you for not taking things here so seriously. I just have fun kicking a little dirt up around here. If people get riled up....well...good. It reminds them that they have an opinion and a pulse.

• March 5, 2007

Bronc in C Springs writes:

Hey Tom.....I'm also a frequent visitor of Drew's pages and read most of the comments. So what's your story???? Obviously you like to "stir up the pot" and play devil's advocate to all of Denver's sports. Are you a Bronco, Nuggets, Avs fan........or not so much??

Just wondering.....

• March 6, 2007

Thanks for asking.
    I never really cared for sports much as a kid. I was introduced to hockey at age 16 though, and grew to love the game. I played a lot of pickup ice hockey and street hockey. I should say I loved the game until Gary Bettman came along and NBA'd the NHL. He marketed it to death and ever since I have hated how pro leagues are run.
    The day Wayne Gretzky was essentially sold to the L.A. Kings was the day the NHL began it's slow, grinding death spiral.
    I harp on sports in general and overpaid athletes because there is no reason why these players and team officials and owners should be taking advantage of the very people that pay their salaries. So, I question them and call them out. Maybe it doesn't matter what I say in the long run, but it still feels good to vent.
    Carmelo Anthony is a favorite target of mine for what should be obvious reasons to even casual observers. He's self centered, as can be shown by his latest effort to make the All-Star team at the expense of the Nuggets playoff hopes.

And well...there's a little about me.

• March 6, 2007

Oh....and no, I am not a Nuggets, Avalanche, Broncos, or Rockies fan. I really do not have a particular team I root for, but I am somewhat tied to hopes that the Washington Capitals of the NHL will someday will become a solid team again. I have more less followed them for about 22 years. So, there is heartbreak central. A long way to go for that team, but Ovechkin is a starting point. We'll see.

• March 6, 2007

Jeremy writes:

Tom, there is an easy answer to the "reason why" question you raise on salary in your post. Reference comments in Drew's Dre' Bly cartoon.
    On a different note, the Travis Henry deal is already growing cold, and you haven't yet disparaged it. We're all eagerly awaiting your powerful insight on to why this is a bad deal for the Broncos. As usual, warm regards.

• March 7, 2007