March 20, 2007 12:00 AM

The Avs turnaround

The recent Avalanche resurgence is nothing short of miraculous. It will certainly make for some interesting hockey ahead which always makes for some good cartoon material. Especially if they make the playoffs. The Avs just seemed like the right topic to hit after a few weeks away at spring training.

• March 20, 2007

There is a slim chance that the Avs might make it.

But, I would gather that they have a long way to go before that is any kind of certianty. They still need help from Calgary. I have a friend at work who is already acting like the Avs are the team up by 4 points. I told him that he's possibly making a very big mistake in thinking this is a definite thing.
    I just don't think the Avs are going to have it down the stretch. I'm thinking that this latest winning streak happened about 4 games too early. They still have too many games left to stay as hot as they have been. Yes. New Jersey did it recently. But aside from that, when was the last time a team rode a 15-20 game streak all the way to the end of the season with nary a loss?
    By the way....are all the Avs fans happy with Drew now? Get off his freaking back already!!!!! There's your damn hockey cartoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And hey, Drew.....hold onto this idea above. You just might only have to edit the toon into a Wiley Coyote type thing. You know....so close, but yet so far? Maybe the cliff breaking off right at the front of the players skates and him falling to his doom.
    I think the Avs will miss the dance by about 6 points. It will not come down to the last game, as much as Avs fans, the NHL, local newspapers, and maybe Gary Bettman (he loves tight races - hence the shootout) would like it to.
    And, well...there it is.

• March 20, 2007

Pat writes:

I like the cartoon. It is so right!!!!

• March 20, 2007

Mark writes:

Drew, great cartoon.

I think we're going to make it. One consistency this team has this year is playing well in big games v. good teams. We have veteran leadership, and play the Flames two more times.

I think one reason for the AVS resurgence is the ability to roll two potent lines, like back in the glory days with Forsberg.

Stastny playing out of his mind with Hejduk has opened up the Sakic Brunette line. Budaj is looking solid too.

Whether we make it or not, it'll be fun to watch down the stretch.

How fun would it be for the season to come down to the winner take all makeup game on Easter v. Calgary? Good times.

• March 20, 2007

Sorry Mark. The Avs peaked too early. The last game of the season will be far from a meaningful game. Statsny is a fine player, but his streak would have been more useful if it had begun 10 games later than it did. And no...there is not enough veteran leadership on the team. There Sakic, and then....Sakic. Lappierere and Hedjuk are not leaders. Brunette is not a leader. He speaks to the press a lot, which might give the impression that he's a leader, but he's not. Theodore is a goldbrick. Budaj also hasn't been rock solid even during the streak. He's been very fortunate. Calgary will now peak at the right time. It's not smart for a team to put themselves ina desperate position with 20 games to go like the Avs did. They have now "spent themselves" trying to get back into the race, and it's time for them to fall back to Earth.
    I've looked at the boards on coloradoavalanche.com and my, my....there are are a LOT of fairweather fans in this state. Two weeks ago, everyone was calling for Quenville to be fired, the team to trade this and that player, and had written off the season. Now they're acting like they've already locked up a playoff spot.
    News flash: They haven't.
    News flash: They will not.

Get used to it for a few years. Maybe fairweather Avs fans should finally see how the other half lives. They have been spoiled rotten for long enough.

• March 20, 2007

Dwayne writes:

The lip biting is over...Tom are you truely that ignorant. Last I checked the last two Western Conference Champions used a late surge at the end of year to just make to the playoffs, then managed to make their way to the finals. mmm I'd say they're peaking at just the right time. But god forbid Mr. Negative can't have his opinion. Oh yeah...and if you look at their schedules...the Avalanche have it easier...Edmonton twice this week, while Calgary has Detroit, and Nashville. And if you haven't read your newspaper, which judging by your ignorance you haven't, the Oilers are 0-fer since trading Smyth. Oh yeah and aren't the Wings and Preds fighting for the top spot in the west.
    So yes Tom despite your poor analysis of the situation...the Avalanche have a very good chance.

• March 20, 2007

Chuck writes:

You're entitled to your opinion, Tom, but at least have it make sense. First you say that the Avs & Stastny peaked too early, and that a team waiting for 20 games to go to turn it on is a bad idea. But then you insinuate that turning it on with 10 games to go would be much better, even given the fact that all of this would be pointless if they hadn't turned it on when they did. I'd say your bias not only dictates how you think, but it's inherently flawed.

• March 20, 2007

Chuck & Dwayne -

Just let it be known that I'll accept your apologies sometime in April.
    Colorado was 10 points back. Even with going on their hot streak, they only picked up 6 points. That's pretty sad. Calgary has simply underachieved, and now is their time to get back to playing top level hockey. Edmonton is now due for a hot streak. Look at Washington. They were on a 9 game skid, and just the other night they laid waste to Tampa 7-1. So, yes, I do watch the scoreboards.

I totally understand that you two are complete homers, and just cannot stomach the thought of your precious Avalanche missing the playoffs. But you know what? It's going to happen. No team in this day and age stays on top forever (unless you're the Yankees and you have no salary cap.) Avalanche fans were spoiled rotten when they got a ready made contender laden with star players and obvious star players. Then they lucked into Roy.
    You all need a serious reality check. What do you think will happen when Sakic retires, and maybe Statsny turns out to be a one year wonder? It can happen like that. Statsny has been playing with NHL caliber players. How good do you think he'd be if he was on Columbus or Washington or Phoenix? He'd probably have 10 goals and 11 assists.
    So wake up and realize that you're defending a team that has grossly failed you and your worst fears are becoming a reality. No playoffs for the beloved Joe Sakic? Oh, the HORROR!!!!
    Go cry on your big Avalanche pillow, already!
    Don't I stir the pot nicely? This is very excellent. Thanks for playing. I really enjoy getting you all into a furor sometimes. You take the bait so readily. Happy days.

• March 20, 2007

Calgary Flames - 2
    Detroit Red Wings - 1

Flames lead Colorado by 6 points.

Colorado has one game in hand.

Think the Avs will be squeezing their sticks a little tightly in Edmonton now?

• March 21, 2007

Dwayne writes:

"Two complete homers"....

Last I checked Tom my boy fans aren't called homers. And uh...I think as fans of the Colorado Avalanche we have every right in the world to root for our team, and hope they make the playoffs. Personally I've accepted the fact they may not make it. But the fact that for the first time since they moved to Denver that they are fighting for something, and not just mailing it in means a heck of a lot to me as a fan. And so what. So what when Sakic retires. The city of Denver won't shut down. They didn't for John Elway's retirement.
    Now I know you're not a fan of the Avs, which completely explains your negativity. But for once shut up. You know as much as any of us do as to what will actually happen. Because the way it will go down is this....if they miss the playoffs you'll come on and spout how smart you are, and that we know nothing. However if they do make the playoffs, you'll come on saying they were lucky, or don't belong. So there, we know what you'll say...now shut up!!!

• March 21, 2007

Jacob writes:

man what losers, is there really nothing better to do up in calgary than to go to rocky mountain news message boards and talk a bunch of $*^&, go tip cows or whatever it is you do up in that piece of crap country you live in

• March 21, 2007

Wow. Dwayne. Did I touch a nerve? This is really too easy. You just keep coming back for more.
    Okay. I'll be happy to continue playing if you keep insisting on taking my bait.
    (I'll actually reveal a little secret....I'm this way because of people like you Dwayne. See, I enjoy getting people like you so incredibly high strung that you're likely to have a nervous breakdown. And I find it insanely funny. Have I revealed enough yet?)
    See, you ORDERING me to SHUT UP, just makes me stick around. I'll just keep on posting stuff here to drive you nuts.
    If that's not clear enough...maybe this is.
    I'M NOT GOING AWAY. GET USED TO THAT IDEA. The only thinkg that will keep me out of here is this blog shutting it's doors.
    I choose to bash the Avalanche. I didn't bash you personally. You missed that point. But then, that's apparently your nature. Good for you.
    Yes, you are homers. You are also slightly disillusioned. But hey, whatever. If your thing is to keep believing in something that has zero chance of happening, then go for it. Just remember that I'll be expecting your apology in early April. So, be sure to post it here.
    No, I won't on here and spout off how right I was about them missing the playoffs, because I've already said it here. But, I'll be sure to come on a laugh quite a bit about it.
    There's no way I'll be saying that they're lucky, because, well....they're not. They can't be. Their run is over. The team is kaput. Money was the reason they won their Stanley Cups. If the league was a fairly even playing field back then like it is now, the Avs wouldn't have a single Stanley Cup. They would be in the same boat as the Rangers were/are. Plenty of household names, but nothing to show for it. They bought their way into the playoffs every year. Now they have to actually WORK to get there, and well....that's not working is it? No, I think not.
    Oh, and Jacob. I'm not a Calgary fan. I am simply a fan of any team that plays Colorado. I have nothing by disdain for a franchise and fans of that franchise that has NEVER felt what it's like to have to go through all the growing pains of having an expansion team, or having to build something from the ground up. There is no Colorado Avalanche. Get ehat though you head. This team is the Quebec Nordiques. They were stolen from Canada. Denver, at best, should have gotten an expansion team. Imagine how hard it would have been on this town to have had to deal with say, 6 or 7 losing seasons, a half-empty Magness Arena, and such.
    I think the team would already have relocated to Portland or Seattle. Nobody in Denver wants just hockey. They MUST HAVE WINNING HOCKEY.
    Well...let me sit back and watch all these bandwagon hockey fans fall off and be crushed under the wheels.

I'll enjoy every moment.

• March 21, 2007

Nordiques - 5
    Oilers - 1

Colorado trails Calgary by 4 points again. The Nordiques have made up ZERO ground from where they stood on Monday. Another game off the schedule, and the Flames keep their lead intact.
    What's funny is that Calgary can actually stand to lose a game and they are still in the driver's seat. All Quebec has to do is lose one game, and it's officially over. I mean, it's already over, but for the sake of argument, I'd rather it be, well...official. How about that Dwayne? Chuck?
    Never did a 5-1 win over an AHL lineup mean so little, eh?

• March 22, 2007

Reader writes:

Wow, I really do feel bad for this Tom guy. When getting a rise out of other fans is such an important thrill in one's life, I feel bad for just how empty that life must otherwise be.

As for the Avs, whether they make it or not, I'm proud of this team. They never quit, and they're giving this a heck of a run. They could have packed it in, but they didn't. Not only did they turn things around, they've gone on a run that is downright incredible, and actually given themselves a chance, which seemed completely impossible just a couple of weeks ago. Playoffs or not, they've given us a reason to be proud.

• March 22, 2007

Reader-
    I do enjoy it. In fact, I love it.
    It gives me reason to wake up and take a breath each morning.
    I find people like you very odd as well, because you're so easily brought into an argument. You just cannot leave stuff like what I write alone. You have a desperate need to respond to my comments. I love it.
    It's like people who have to get the last word in, right?
    So, keep it up. I'm game.

• March 22, 2007

Dwayne writes:

Well if there's no Colorado Avalanche, then there's no New Jersey Devils then is there.
    Once again I must bring up the fact the Colorado Rockies played several seasons of BAD hockey in Denver. And once again I must say...Avalanche fans didn't drive up to Quebec City, knock on Joe Sakic, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg, Owen Nolan, or any other Nordiqe players house, and drag them to Denver kicking and screaming.
    And actually the City of Denver has had to struggle through bad teams, maybe not the Avalanche, but the Broncos played nearly a decade and a half of crap football. The Nuggets played nearly the same amount of basketball, and are finally showing signs, and the Rockies baseball team....AN EXPANSION TEAM...has played who cares baseball since the late 90s.
    Don't tell me, or any other fan in Denver we haven't suffered dude. You want to cry about Denver getting a good hockey team, call anybody that was associated with Comsat in 1995, and cry to them. Yeah you did strike a nerve. You struck that "I can't stand stupid people nerve". There are bigger things in life to cry about than a company buying a hockey team, and moving it somewhere.

Disillusioned....I think you were looking in the mirror on that one bubba.

• March 23, 2007

Dwayne writes:

I apologize to everyone on this forum. I am a complete idiot.

Special apologies to Tom. I am the disillusioned one.

I was in a drunken stupor when I wrote the preceding comments.

• March 23, 2007

Dwayne's comments on March 20th:
    "Oh yeah...and if you look at their schedules...the Avalanche have it easier...Edmonton twice this week, while Calgary has Detroit, and Nashville."

Let's see....

Calgary beats Detroit 2-1.
    Calgary beats Nashville 3-2(OT)

I'm sorry...what was so difficult about those games for the Flames?

Hello? Dwayne?

News flash: Calgary leads Quebec by 6 points. The Nords have a game in hand, although, it is fairly worthless at this point.

At least Calagary can beat GOOD TEAMS, and not have to gain points against AHL level squads (Edmonton at the moment), eh?

• March 23, 2007

Dwayne writes:

Wow are you ghost writing for me now. Impressive.

Wow you can look at scores and decifer things. Much impressive.

Wow you still are an idiot.

Dude get a friggin life.

• March 23, 2007

Dwayne writes:

Why am I calling myself an idiot? Am I going friggin' nuts?

Prozac please!!!!!!!

• March 23, 2007

I probably shouldn't have referred to the Flames as Calgary. I should have referred to them as Atlanta. And from now on, I will be careful to always refer to New Jersey as Kansas City, to Dallas as Minnesota, to the LA Lakers as Minneapolis, etc., etc., etc.

• March 23, 2007

Dwayne...I knew if I pressed hard enough, you would revert to something like "follow the leader."
    You just cannot find your own way can you? You cannot find your own blend of humor. Sad, very sad indeed.

• March 23, 2007

Oops. Quebec loses 4-3 in a shootout to the Oil.

Pity.

Another point lost to an "easy" opponent!!!!

Just for the record Dwayne.....

I am enjoying this very much!

• March 24, 2007

For those who may not read these blogs regularly, you should know that I'm really just kidding most of the time.

I know I act like a troublemaker, but in reality, I know that this Avs team is overachieving and deserves a lot of credit.

• March 24, 2007

Dwayne....not even close. You aren't even using the correct accent. That doesn't sound like me at all. Keep working on it. And also try to write your own jokes from now on.

• March 26, 2007

josh writes:

actually this team is underachieving. we have scored the fourth amount of goals in the west and are yet in the 9 spot. due to coaching and the play of our "D". we dont have a problem with good teams(3-1 vs. anaheim, we also own the season record on the wings at this point) its the bad teams we cant get it done against. inconsisten, poor coaching(stupid zone "D"), and the play of our "D" is where the problem lies. this is stupid. without teams moving there would be a lot of bankrupt teams.