March 22, 2007 12:00 AM

The Broncos pressing need

The Broncos have been very agressive during the offseason in filling their needs in all but the most important one...the Pass Rush. They made a good run at free agents who could fill that need but came away empty which means they will either have to make another trade, pick up someone who gets cut for salary cap reasons or go after someone in the draft, not an easy thing to do. The Broncos still have some more moves to make. They still need another receiver given the fact that Rod Smith is coming off of hip surgery and newly acquired Brandon Stokley is rehabbing from a torn achilles tendon. The Broncos also need a fast, hard hitting safety to replace aging John Lynch and more help on the offensive line.

But clearly the pass rush is the missing ingredient to a successful bid to win a Super Bowl. Without it the Broncos have an uphill climb to pass the likes of the Colts, Ravens, Patriots and Chargers.

• March 22, 2007

Chad writes:

Signing Daniel Graham was a total waste. I know he is an ex-buff, but we already have a former pro bowler TE in Alexander. I predict that contract will come back to bite us in the upcoming years.

• March 22, 2007

Jacob writes:

It never ceases to amaze me, the lack of knowledge that all fans have on this site. Alexander may have made the pro bowl once, but so did brian griese and kordell stewart. Maybe we should pick both of them up cuz they were pro bowlers too. Come to think of it, let's go get Kurt Warner, he was an MVP, we can then pull eddie george out of retirement and make him our starter. How is alexander good at all? He's nothing but a decent blocker, he's only good in 3rd and short situations. Daniel Grahm is the best blocking TE in the NFL and he's a solid recieving tight end. The Broncos didn't have a Tight End that could play every down, now they do. BTW, good cartoon Drew, I still think that the Broncos will trade up in the draft and get a guy like Jamaal Anderson from Arkansas.

• March 22, 2007

Bill writes:

I also have noticed that there has been no serious attempt at filling the need for a pass rush rush. I've been saying it since the end of the season and all these "other team" fans are probably tired of hearing it. They tell me that at least my team is building up where they need to. My response is simply in terms of the fact that a weak pass rush is just going to tire out the defense... again... and will keep other offenses on the field and allowing QB's to comfortably sit back and make decisive passes. You hit this right on the head Drew!

• March 22, 2007

They're also missing the following:

A head coach who hasn't lost his mind.
    A decent starting quarterback who doesn't get rattled.
    A fanbase that takes part in this blog that can have a reality check and realizes that the Donkeys won't win more than 6-7 games this upcoming season.

That's just for starters.

• March 22, 2007

James writes:

Tom why don't you go so far as saying that your team the raiders are going to win it all next year... a word of advice: step away from the bong dude!!!

• March 22, 2007

James writes:

Oh BTW Drew another great ONE!!!

• March 22, 2007

I'm not a Raiders fan. I'm just a fan who roots for ANY team that plays a Colorado based team. I just like having my own fun with fans from this area because it's so easy to get people in a tizzy.
    You all take your teams here WAYYYYYY too seriously. These are GAMES. You people act like these athletes are heros or something. They aren't.
    Oh...I forgot. The Donks also need a decent running back. They keep losing them. Yeah, I saw they signed some retread from Tennessee, but, big deal. He'll be lucky not to trip over Cutler eight times a game.
    Anybody else want to play debate with me? I'll throw it all right back in your face. You all just have to get the last word in, eh? Keep it coming.

• March 22, 2007

Oh...I forgot. The raiders are going to win it all next year.

Happy now James?

(Personally I think every team should end up .500. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head?)

• March 23, 2007

Jim writes:

Tom, get your head out of the sand, you dork. How many games did your raiders win the last 5 years combined? Uh, 10 games.

• March 23, 2007

Actually, I don't think the Raiders are going to win it all. I'm not a Raiders fan. I was simply humoring someone.
    Apparently you're too thick to understand humor.
    But now, upon hearing that you think I have my head in the sand, I'm predicting the Donkeys to go 3-13. Better?

• March 26, 2007

josh writes:

dont waste your time on tom. its pointless. go play with your dolls now tom. if denver were smart they would not draft jamaal anderson. if they were smart they would go to Lincoln and do everything in their power to pick up Adam Carriker. 6'6'' 295lbs 4.6 40. he can and will do damage for the team he plays for.