March 2, 2007 12:00 AM

The Dre' Bly deal

The Broncos made a great trade in obtaining Dre' Bly. He will be a perfect compliment to Champ Bailey and will make it very difficult for opposing Quarterbacks to throw against the Broncos defense. The Broncos still have holes to fill, especially now at running back, but this trade tells me they have plans to fill that need with something that is already in the works or something that appeals to them very much on draft day. Ahh draft day. One of my very favorite days of the year.

Speaking of favorite times of the year...I'm heading to Spring Training next week and I'll be blogging from there. I'll try to scan some of my sketchbook daily depending on how the days go and I'll give you my insight about how I think the Rox will look this year. I think you really can get a sense of where the season will go from seeing some of the Spring Training games, though obviously they aren't totally accurate barometers.

Check back Saturday when I'll have another toon about March Madness, which is defined in Websters as the sickness of constant snow during the months of November, December ,January and February.

Til' Then,

• March 2, 2007

The thing to wonder about is when this lucky streak of 1,000 yard rushers comes to a screeching halt. It won't matter who's defending the corner spots if Denver can't run the ball. And at this point, the only guy is Mike Bell. Not a very promising outlook. What are they gonna do? Sign Lewis? Nice PR nightmare that would be.
    I look for the running game to be a major problem this coming season. Because it will be a problem, that mean Cutler will have to toss the ball more, which in turn, will lead to more interceptions........I predict the Broncos to go 6-10 or 7-9 at best.

• March 2, 2007

MJ writes:

The Broncos will come through again with another 1000 yd rusher. Saying they wont would be like saying the sun won't come up tomorrow. Tom, you sure are a negative nellie on here sometimes.

• March 2, 2007

Yep. That's what I am MJ. Hammer meets nail. Thanks for noticing. I give my opinion. You can like it or not like it. It's entirely up to you.

• March 2, 2007

mike writes:

nice trade. now if we can get a defensive lineman who's not afraid of quarterbacks, we'll be all set!

• March 2, 2007

Snoops writes:

It's short for "Andre", you Doof !!! What the heck kind of name is "Doof" ??? Oh it's short for Doofus !!! Got it !!!

• March 2, 2007

What the hell is up with these freaking contracts? Clements gets 8 years for 80 Million bucks from San Francisco? For a cornerback?
    Unreal! These guys are playing FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!! When they find a cure for a disease or start donating half that kind of money to some place or persons that truly need it, then come talk to me. These outrageous contracts for pro athletes have got to stop. These people are playing GAMES. They aren't doing anything that the general public of this country couldn't do without on a daily basis. I wonder what these players would do if they actually had to really WORK for a living.

• March 3, 2007

Jacob writes:

They are generating money for an industry. The fact is that the industry is worth billions of dollars. All salaries are predicated on the industry, that's why teachers aren't paid that well because schools are largely federally funded. Don't complain, every time you turn the TV to CBS or FOX on Sunday in November, you're paying they're salaries and helping to increase the madness. If you were truly outraged, you'd turn your TV off, otherwise you're just a hypocrite Tom.

• March 3, 2007

Jacob -

See, I don't pay their contracts. I don't turn my TV on because I don't have TV. I am a very casual fan of sports in general. I used to go to NHL games back East when it was affordable. I could get mid-level seats for about 15 bucks. Those same seats now cost about $60. Insane.

I stopped paying money to go to pro sporting events when it became obvious that I was the one getting screwed. The owners of these teams and the players on these teams really don't give a rat's butt about the fans. They are all in it for the money, PERIOD.

Yes, I am a person who is highly opinionated. Oh well. That's just the way I am. Like me or don't.

I went to a Rocky Mountain Rage game last night, and enjoyed it to no end. It was really fun. These players are playing for a paycheck yes, but they aren't primadonnas. The fans enjoyed the 6-0 white washing of the opposing team. There was a nice easy going atmosphere there that I liked. None of this Terell Owens kind of crap.

You can keep the NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL with their inflated egos and contracts. I still pay attention to the leagues but I'll never, ever go to an event until prices go down. And well....they won't.

• March 4, 2007

Jeremy writes:

Your comment about curing diseases is a worthy cause. Many blessings to you as you contribute to this laudable endeavor! Continuing, if you don't watch a particular sporting event, attend the event, or buy related merchandise, then the salary is of no concern to you, whether $1 or $1 Billion, as you apparently are not responsible for coming up with one cent of it. What does it matter to you what other people do for leisure with their own money? Feel free to make your own leisure choices according to your own preferences, and, provided they are moral and legal, let others make decisions on theirs.
    Regarding why people are willing to pay such a cost, note that one of the chief deliverables of professional sports in general is hope - reference New Orleans for a recent example. Sports bring communities together and provide a reason to go to work Monday - Friday for millions of the faithful; sports are a brief respite from another performance review, a traffic jam, an overbearing boss. They provide a value that is hard to imagine, and as such, it is silly to ridicule the payment sports receives for its contribution.
    Note also that your initial comment about running backs neglected what football aficionados call "the draft", which is a perennial source of stud running backs for those in need. I guess this oversight makes sense as you're just a very casual fan. Warm regards, and I admire you for not watching TV.

• March 5, 2007

Bill writes:

Having two good cornerbacks is a nice prospect, but it really will come down to the defensive line. Just as not having a good running game will affect the quarterback, lack of a pass rush will affect the pass defense in the secondary. If the Broncos maintain the consistency of the pass rush and the running game hey had last year, both aspects of the game will be mediocre at best. I remember when they had to double and triple team players like Neil Smith. Or when Davis or Gary or whoever would run the ball, the adrenaline of opposite defenses went into high gear. I didn't hear hardly anything on the Broncos run game last season except that they had an RB carousel. All that attention was leveled on two of the Bronco's rival teams runningbacks, the chargers and the Chiefs. For us, mediocre at best. And, yes, Bailey was exceptional, but the opposing QB's could go into the locker rooms and hang up their jerseys for next week's game since no dirt and hardly a sweat was broken out due to virtually no pass rush. Again mediocre. As alweays I hope for the best and hope the new coaches they have picked to fill the defnsive coordinater and D-line will have figured out a way to do something with this mediocrity.

• March 7, 2007

Jeremy...

Your comment about how sports give a person a reason to come to work on Monday is, well....unreal.

The reason I go to work on Monday is because I have a mortgage to pay. I work hard for the little money I am able to scrape up each day. I'm not getting paid four million bucks to say, score 1.1 points per game, grab a stray rebound for two and run up and down a hardwood floor for 16.4 minutes a night.

That's what is called overpayment.

These guys play a GAME for a living and then stick it to the fans by asking for more money than they are worth which in turn causes the owners to increase ticket prices, and so on. Who pays for these greedy SOB's? The ticket buyer.

• March 7, 2007

Oh, and Jeremy...

Try not to be such a patronizing little punk, eh?

It makes you look like a complete idiot. Just some food for thought.