April 10, 2007 12:00 AM

The Sticking Point

Like so many, I will miss the Avalanche not being in the playoffs. I could always count on a series or two for cartoons. So, it will seem very odd not having the Avs to follow for the next few months. A nice consolation prize will be knowing that Joe Sakic will most likely finish out his career as an Avalanche player. It's as it should be.

The cartooning profession has recently lost two giants in the industry. Johnny Hart, the creator of the comic strips B.C. and the Wizard of Id passed away this weekend, at his drawing board, at the age of 76. He was a huge influence on me as a young cartoonist. I used to spend hours reading the paperback collections of B.C. dreaming of becoming a cartoonist just like him. He will be missed.

His comic strip will continue, which I have a problem with because I believe comic strips should be discontinued upon the passing of their creators. I think newspapers would be much better off if they gave those precious spaces on the comics pages to a younger generation of talent.

Jay Kennedy, the comics editor for King Features syndicate passed away March 15. Jay was one of the few in the industry who really understood cartoonists and their importance in newspapers. He was an advocate for the art form and his passing will leave a very large void in the world of comics. I got the chance to know Jay while attending a few Editorial cartoonists conventions and we hit it off well. We talked at length about Vaughn Bode, a famous underground cartoonist from the 60's. Jay was an avid fan of underground cartoonists and so it was a blast to talk to someone who was so knowledgeable about the work and life of Bode.

Jay encouraged me to submit a comic strip to King Features and so in 2000 I finally took him up on his offer. I wasn't quite prepared for the response. The rejection letter was pretty harsh and Jay wrote that I could do much better. He was right. The submission was awful. Jay was doing me a favor by telling me to push myself harder.

Here's to you, Jay. I promise I will.

• April 10, 2007

gj berg writes:

Avs fans have been spoiled by having a "ready made" NHL team arrive in town, rather than have to develop patience and grow anticipation with a building franchise. Welcome to reality, Colorado.

• April 10, 2007

CLos writes:

gj berg - Dont insult us Colorado Fans by welcoming us to reality. Did you see the Pepsi Center Empty or something like that because the team was not as good as years before? NO.
    We all know the situation they are in and believe me 2 cups was woth it. We were all hooked to the games and watching the team bust their but to try to make it to the playoffs.
    They did not make it but what a run it was, the future looks great, at least another year of Super Joe is great ...
    Let me welcome you to reality, Colorado Loves the Avs and they came here over 10 years ago, your analagy was good for the 1st couple of years....

• April 10, 2007

Thank you Gi Berg. I see that I am no longer the sole person on this blog that feels that Avs fans as a whole have never, ever known what it's like to have to suffer through a rebuild, or *gasp*, and expansion franchise. They also have been spoiled with the riches of buying any player they wanted, and therfore, bought both their Stanley Cups. They were not earned, as Carolina and Tampa earned theirs. And now all these Avs fans think the losing will not continue. Oh, it will. There will eventually be VERY dark days ahead. Missing the playoffs this year is a precursor to that demise. Joe Sakic won't play forever. Paul Statsny is not his replacement. Get a clue Colorado. And yes, welcome to reality indeed.

• April 11, 2007

Tom Jr. writes:

Tom, didn't your mother ever teach you that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all? Obviously not. The Avs DID infact earn those cups, and do not bash them because they had the resources to win. How can you not be proud of your hometown hockey team? What are you, communist?

• April 11, 2007

Badger writes:

I'm not sure why Avs fans are so upset over not making it. What they wound up missing by one point was getting crushed by Detroit in the first round.

• April 11, 2007

The Avs (Nords) are NOT my hometown hockey team. God no.
    I love ripping on them, because I love ripping on them. I rip on any team that BUYS championships. Now with a salary cap designed to keep things a bit more even, they cannot get it don, and that makes me very happy. It just shows with a level playing field, some teams are just destined for failure. I cannot wait for Joe Sakic to retire. Then we'll see how many fans turn out for this team. My bet is not many. Sakic is the only reason the Nords made it as close as they did. Statsny benefited from playing with him on the power play. Wait until he's not here, and Statsny will be a 45-50 point 3rd line player. He had a fluke season. He's just not that good.
    Your turn.

• April 11, 2007

Tom Jr. writes:

Who is your team Tom?

• April 12, 2007

Nate writes:

Tom Jr. you obviously have NO idea about colorado sports do you?? when you say "Avs fans as a whole have never, ever known what it's like to have to suffer through a rebuild, or *gasp*, and expansion franchise" If you pay attention just a little bit you would realize that Avs fans are also Denver Nuggets fans and Colorado Rockies fans...if those arent perfect examples of having to suffer though expansion or rebuilding than i dont know what is...and to comment on your "Avs bought their stanley cups" I'd like to point out the yankees and red sox do the exact same thing in baseball and does that mean they win a chapionship every year? NO..the players still have to play and the players still have to win. Your comments just show us all that your jealous that your team, who ever they may be, are a franchise either too cheap to build a winning team or just dont care to....my advice to you, rather than bashing teams who want to win why dont you start bashing the front office of your team for not putting forth the time money or effort to build a winning team

• April 13, 2007

John writes:

I think it's funny how people assume the Avs bought all their star players. It's a misconception that is generally laughable. These are some players from COlorado's 2001 Championship team obtained via draft-day signings or transactions by the Avs:

Joe Sakic
    Peter Forsberg
    Adam Foote
    Chris Drury
    Alex Tanguay
    David Aebischer
    Milan Hejduk
    Martin Skoula
    Stephane Yelle
    Dan Hinote

Granted, Patrick Roy, Rob Blake and Ray Bourque were all aquired via trade (Adam Deadmarsh was drafted by the Avs, who was sent over to L.A. in the Rob Blake deal), but if they could afford it, why not sign them? I think it's funny when fans say they don't like teams because they can pay their players. So what should teams like the Avs do, draft good players, develop them into All Stars, then let some other team sign them? Please. The salary cap happened because some teams in small markets couldn't make money in the small markets and some teams were run badly. Because of that, teams like Colorado, Detroit, Philly, New Jersey, and others had to suffer.

• April 14, 2007

Yes. The Avalanche BOUGHT their Cups. It matters not that "Well, they had the resources to....yadda, yadda, yadda...." or "Well, why shouldn't they have...."

The fact remains that they BOUGHT players. They bought so many players that they finally couldn't hold on to folks like Tanguay, Drury, etc.

I don't have a team. I just like rooting against the overpaid Avalanche. It's a rocking good time. Them missing the playoffs is the icing on my cake.
    What a wonderful feeling it is!!!

• April 14, 2007

Oh, and Nate....

No....thanks. I'd just rather keep on bashing the Avs and people like you.

Deal with it, sucker.

• April 15, 2007

Teddy writes:

HHAAH! Oh man, this Tom character is an idiot. He probably stews all day on how he is going to "stir the pot". This is the highlight of his meager day. The funny thing is, most of us hop on here and send 1 reply........less than 30 seconds. We go about our normal day and don't even think about it. I think we get to him Denver.

Keep "Stirring Tom's Pot" Denver.........he obviously reacts to everything!!!!!