May 10, 2007 6:00 AM

Baseball faces Bonds

Baseball faces the oncoming train wreck that is Barry Bonds. So far, like everyone else, they just wish he would go far, far away. But it's clear that isn't going to happen. So what do you do, ignore him or face the inevitable? We all have that choice to make in the weeks to come, as the Bonds watch coverage increases.

In the mean time I'll keep drawing cartoons about what will surely be one of Baseball's bleakest days.

• May 10, 2007

I'm going to go against a taboo type of thing and actually hope for one of Barry Bond's steriod-laced knees or hips to just explode at some point before he reaches this record. It would be a kind of poetic justice. Now, I normally would never wish injury on another person, but in Bonds' case, it would more less be self induced. I just do not want a cheater being seen as an idol of sorts.
    I think the shocking thing is that he hasn't been found guilty yet after all this so-called "investigating" that has allegedly been happening. I wonder if Barry is actually being investigated at all by MLB. Is he really being tested? I doubt it.
    Bow out Barry. Blow out your knee. Turn an ankle. Or better yet, retire.
    Hank deserves better.

• May 10, 2007

matt writes:

Accuse Accuse Accuse -- the fact is - Bonds has never tested positive for ANY performance enhancing drugs. If he used them before they were banned by baseball -- WHO CARES!! If Aaron had the benefit of science -- he probably would have used too. Quit talking about the good old days.
    Last time I checked - steroids didnt help you hit the ball. They helped you hit it farther - by about the same margin as the altitude in Denver, or the cork in Sosa's bat --- negligible. Bonds is not barely clearing the wall -- He is barely clearing the Ocean out side the wall.

• May 10, 2007

MJ writes:

Matt, my grandma could hit a ball as far as Bonds does if she took steroids. Fact is he is a cheater, even if he took them before they were banned. It will be a sad day for baseball if he breaks this record.

• May 10, 2007

eric writes:

Drew,'

You hit it on the head. Shudder to think what Hank Aaron is thinking.

Eric J.

• May 10, 2007

eric writes:

Drew,'

You hit it on the head. Shudder to think what Hank Aaron is thinking.

Eric J.

• May 10, 2007

Matt -

How.....HOW can you defend Bonds???

Have you really been paying attention since he was a skinny basestealer in Pittsburgh? Take a look at the pictures. Lifting weights alone CANNOT change a person they way Barry Bonds has changed. He's a cheater. He will always be known as a cheater.
    Someday, when Bud Selig is no more, a wise man or woman will be in charge of MLB, and will revoke the "record" that Bonds has "set".
    That day cannot come soon enough.

• May 11, 2007

Steven writes:

I think Bonds deserves as much praise as McGwire got back in 1998. The reason why I think this has nothing to do with my opinion of whether or not Bonds took steroids, but because all of us baseball fans shouted huzzahs and turned a blind eye to it back then.

I think it will be a fitting punishment to baseball when Aaron's record is beaten. The MLB messed up by not nipping 'roids in the bud, and now they are paying for it by seeing the best players in the history of the sport get taken down by those who took the easy way to so-called greatness.

Tom, you're wrong to hope or expect that a future commissioner will strike the records off the books, we made this bed for ourselves and now we have to accept the consequences and sleep in it.

I do expect that most baseballs record books will include an asterisk next to any player who played during the '90s. While I support that for the most part, I will be sad to see an asterisk next to Ken Griffey Jr.'s name, he's one of the few guys that I'd believe never touched steroids in his career.

• May 11, 2007

Gordon writes:

I do believe that Bonds used and still uses steroids and it has helped him hit as many home runs as he has.

But since baseball got wise and attempted to get more tougher on their steroid testing he hasn't tested positive. Also what he was taking before that is out in the public was legal within baseballs rules.

MLB can only blame themselves for allowing this.

• May 11, 2007

But we wouldn't be talking about Bonds breaking any records here if we struck his steriod days off the books.
    He'd probably still be upwards of 500 home runs, but not 700+.
    He's a cheater and his stats should be wiped off the record books. Period.

• May 11, 2007

mo writes:

who cares! baseball is the so borring...it's not even a real sport. bonds will pay the price of steroid abuse some day when his manhood shrivels up and falls off. only users lose drugs....heh

• May 12, 2007

matt writes:

Tom

Where is your proof that Bonds used steroids? You got nothing!!!
    What did you read a book? By a writer who Bonds snubbed and was looking to make his mark? That makes it all true doesn't it,

Im sure your size hasnt changed a bit since you were 19 has it. Old football jersey still fits huh? Try it WITH the pads. You can not prove that he used steroids simply based on the fact that he got bigger over the last 20 years.

Also -- If the rulse don't disallow it -- its not cheating -- no matter what your opinion is.

• May 16, 2007

Badger writes:

I'll be cheering for Bonds. Anything that ticks off the sports punditry is great with me.

• July 17, 2007

djhorserider writes:

Hi bros,

GOOD PRODUCTS...good experience with them! - http://www.allsteroidsworld.com
    What do you think?

Thanks bros

• March 20, 2010

Refugia Waeckerlin writes:

Finally someone that actually knows what they are talking about - thank you!