June 1, 2007 6:00 AM

Stanley Cup Viewers

drew06017.gif

Two's company, threes a crowd. At least that's the case when it comes to the Stanley Cup TV audience. The NHL continues to experience a decline in its TV ratings with no end in sight. And the fact that Ottawa and Anaheim made the finals doesn't help any. I'm kind of the mindset if the Avalanche aren't there than I'm not interested. Quite frankly PBS telethons are more interesting.

MJ writes:

I couldn't agree with you more Drew. The NHL's problem is they couldn't work out a deal with ESPN. They had great coverage. Plus I think that year off really hurt also. People just lost interest and with the lack of TV coverage, alot of people just haven't gotten back into it.

Mike writes:

I read the rain delay of the indy 500 job better ratings than the NBA semifinals game that day.
    it's not just the NHL that people are tuning out.

Mark writes:

It's all true, and it sucks.

Too bad, hockey has a lot to offer. It'll be back when the novelty of pounding on the year off wears off, and suddenly people will be like "wow, this is actually exciting to watch." HDTV will really bring it to life.

Chris writes:

The only thing that will bring me back to interest is if they start actually playing hockey again. The way it used to be played. Goalies with oversized pads. Goons out headhunting. A couple real good fights each game. Lower scoring. More defense. A quicker game. Goalies handling the puck outside the crease (or trapezoid now, whatever they wanna call it.) A larger crease. Goalies shooting the puck with an empty net. Aggressive checking. Bad-ass superstars (remember when Forsberg was not only a great player, but mean as hell?) Hockey these days is just not the same. The "new and improved" rules have just turned me off completely. That and millionaires whining about how they aren't getting paid enough. Give me a break.

Hoppman writes:

Sorry all you Hockey fans but people just aren't interested in your sport in the U.S. Could be worse, hockey could be as boring as soccer.

Bring on the Broncos!!!!

mulletman writes:

The NHL needs to bring their sport to the fans - I should be able to watch with a regular cable subscription and I can't. I agree, they should have worked out a deal with espn....I'm sure they could have squeezed in the finals on one of the dozen espn channels out there.

Brian writes:

This is what strikes do to your sport. Baseball has never been the same since the mid-90s strike. I used to love watching baseball. Now Football and Arena football are about the only sports I crave.

Iz writes:

Are the seats at the stadium empty or full?

If they are full then it's not people who are done watching it's crappy fans who only watch on TV. True fans of the SPORT watch no matter who is in the finals and how they have to watch it. Just cuz the Av's arent in it doesn't mean you shouldn't watch. It just shows your not a fan of the sport, just of a team.

Daddy writes:

Drew- why are you so lame? Nobody cares what you think is interesting on TV or not. What you should concentrate on is actually making a funny toon instead of the same old recycled garbage every week. We get it, you don't like hockey, you've said it a zillion times already and drawn the same toon over and over telling us about it. How do you still have a job there? Do you not have a boss who sees the same junk over and over?

Mike writes:

Drew,

I live about a mile from the Honda Center f/k/a The Pond. For the first two games in Anaheim there have not even been traffic jams as a result of the games. Normally when the arena has an event, traffic is a mess. It leads me to conclude that not even the local market cares.

Yes there are die-hards who pay money for a hockey game, but the NHL, the players, and owners' conduct caused professional hockey to lose its relevance in the U.S. sporting world.

Sorry, to say it, but after the strike, we learned that life without hockey was almost the same as with it. People are voting with their wallets and remotes and hockey is losing.

• June 1, 2007

I guess my question is this.....

Why does NBC only show games on the weekends when people are out doing other stuff at 1pm in the afternoon?

Why can't they show Wednesday night hockey or something. I would actually watch that as amazing as that might seem. The reason why they won't is simple. I would be one of 100 Americans that would watch Wednesday night hockey. Everyone else wants to watch horrific "reality" television shows.
    And we wonder why this country is so low on the scale of educated human beings on the planet.
    Yadda-yadda-yadda...

Chris-
    The NHL would rather hype a purse-swinging player like Sidney Crosby than a "bad-ass" player like Alex Ovechkin.

There is one of the big problems with the league.

• June 2, 2007

josh writes:

first, ovechkin is not anything close to a "bad ass" tell me the last time he made a hit and/or played a little "D"? oh yeah, he doesnt. while i thnk crosby is way overrated, he makes hits, plays a little "D", and has even been involved in a couple shoving matches. if you want the old hockey take it back to the old rules and dont let any players from europe come to AMERICA to play. they dont play "D" they dont hit. they just skate like figureskaters and over pass the puck. there are a couple exceptions, but for the most part i am right.

• June 2, 2007

josh writes:

plus if the NHL did so badly why is the salary cap going up? that can only go up if the revenue go's up which it did this year.

• June 4, 2007

Jason writes:

Oh yeah Josh,

You're right just because you say you're right....right?

What are you? Eleven years old?

This blog should have an age limit.

• June 10, 2007

josh writes:

no. your way off. wow your probably one of the fans so in love with ovechkin. i am right because i know hockey and it should be played physical not like a panzy ass figure skater