July 19, 2007 6:00 AM

The fall of Michael Vick

drew0719.gif

I'm not sure I have the words that could properly express my disgust over this story. The allegations against Vick, if true, and I have no reason to believe they aren't given the nature of the goverments investigation, are the most heinous ever committed by an athlete since O.J.

The NFL should act now, suspending Vick for a year just for lying to the commissioner about the allegations. Once the trial comes and Vick is sentenced to prison (he will be sentenced to prison in this case, the charges are so strong that a plea bargain or probation are out of the question) the suspension should simply be for the rest of Vick's pitiful life. Michael Vick should never have the privilege of stepping foot on an NFL playing field again. End of story. Now ask me how I really feel.

Jim writes:

Ditto,
    He could write a book with PacMan Jones on how to ruin your career.

Nate writes:

Drew -- The most heinous act since OJ? Good to know you think the killing of dogs is worse than the killing of humans, like some athletes (i.e. Ray Caruth) have done. Vick is dispicable, no doubt, but lets not get carried away here.

rob writes:

Michael Vick, if guilty, is a pathetic and disgusting. It makes me sick to hear the details of what he and his friends did to those poor animals. I hope he ends up in jail and expelled from the NFL for this.

MJ writes:

This is sick. He needs to be banished from the NFL. If the NFL won't do it, the Falcons need to get rid of this guy. He is a cancer. How can a person in their right mind do something like this? Maybe there are alot more people out there that do this and we don't hear about it. Sick.

Chuck writes:

Nate, you're the one getting carried away. Drew said "most heinous since," not "worse than." Semantics, old boy -- learn them. What's stupid here is that we have Rae Carruth's & OJ's & Vick's. If there were no NFL, the prisons would be to capacity.

JP writes:

Vick's actions are repulsive. Let's see if the NFL and Falcons have the moral fortitude to do the right thing.

• July 19, 2007

Nate......LET"S GET CARRIED AWAY, WHY DON'T WE!!!!!

Good god man....the way these dogs were treated, and worked into a frenzy to the point they wanted to kill each other was bad enough.

Nicole Simpson and her friend were murdered by O.J., there is no doubt in my mind, but they weren't electrocuted, drowned, hung, and bashed against a wall until dead.

I'm not at all saying that Nicole Simpson and her friend's death wasn't tragic and horrific, but the way they were disposed of was not quite on the level of what these animals went through.

Michael Vick is a sick (I hate to even refer to him as a human being) individual. Let's hope he is put away for many years.
    Some people just don't appreciate the fact that they were given a chance to do a lot of good in the world with the financial and fame standing that they had in life and just tossed it away.

What a complete loser. The Feds somehow missed out on nailing Ray Lewis, but I very much doubt Vick will walk away without doing some hard time. He'd better hope he proves to be as evasive in prison as he does on the football field. He's likely to make some very close friends. Maybe he can be someone's "dog" so he knows what it felt like to the real dogs that he killed.

Matt writes:

My concern with all of this is simple. He should be locked up for a very long time, this is obvious. But what worries me is that he'll be able to cut some deal, plead out, maybe even buy out some way of his deserved jail sentence. If that happens, I'm moving to Scotland.

Jacob writes:

Vick aint goin nowhere. He is the government's superstar in this case. The government is probably willing to plea bargain everyone else in this case just in order to give up vick. There is no way the United States government is letting him slip through their hands. Someone going 1 on 1 with the feds has about as good of a chance of winning as me going 1 on 1 with dwayne wade. Why don't we ask such powerful and rich individuals as scooter libby and kenneth lay what happened when they faced the wrath of the feds? vick is D-U-N DONE in the nfl. goodell doesn't need to worry about suspending him because if the feds have their way, vick will get out of jail in 20 years (max sentence for this crime)

Brian writes:

As a football fan I hope Vick never plays the sport again.....ever!!!

• July 19, 2007

Yes, and the stats show that when the Feds take a person to court, the person goes away to jail or prison 95% of the time.

jimbo writes:

Finally something I agree with Tom on!

MJ writes:

How can someone be so cruel to an animal? He better get the max.

• July 19, 2007

Someone on 950 The fan this morning stated that when in prison, Michael Vick will finally know what it feels like to be a Center.

(i.e. Bent over with your hands on the floor and a guy behind you screaming orders.)

Cheers.

Michael writes:

Quote from ESPN -- "It means a lot," Michael Vick says... "It means a lot that people accept my shoe and want to be part of the Mike Vick movement."

What is the Mike Vick movement? Buy a shoe, abuse some animals. This guy makes me sick!

I hope this guy gets the maximum sentence and I hope that some of these companies he had endorsement deals with had clauses in those contracts that give them a route to go after his money. Not that they need more money, but he should be homeless and destitute when he eventually gets out. He also needs to get the “dog” treatment that Tom is advocating for.

If the NFL does choose to continue to affiliate with Vick, they will be making a very unfortunate mistake.

The Dude writes:

Or you could say he would become the receiver in jail.

Canderous writes:

Well, Vick definately won't be a "Tight End" after about a week in prison.

• July 19, 2007

Well....Thank God Nike has the Vick shoe...um....

On Hold.

As if there was any other option. Wow. Yay for Nike. Their PR and Marketing departments must be in total chaos. They must also be in total C.Y.A mode.

Now....I have to ask the obvious question.

Why in hell haven't the Falcons and/or the NFL suspended, outright released, or fired Michael Vick. How is this idiot still employed in any way?
    It's completely stupid that anyone.....ANYONE....gets a break with this much evidence dumped on them.

I have ZERO...Z-E-R-O faith in the U.S. "Justice" system. Even a total conviction won't change that. However....the Falcons and the NFL are being completely DUMB here. And they will pay for it.

Is there a league left without an image problem?

It's funny to think that the NHL got such a bad rap for being an unwatchable sport.

Now the NBA (terrible TV ratings, etc), MLB (Steroids), and now the NFL (Vick, etc) have more fires to put out than they have hoses on hand.

The NHL is pretty damn healthy by these standards.

• July 20, 2007

Anonymous writes:

The details of the case are enough to make anyone gag, I swear I'll spit on any Vick jersey wearing fool. That guy needs to be treated like one of his dogs!

• July 20, 2007

Distant Fan writes:

Well, Bonds is still playing. And worst of all he will soon hold the home run record.

• July 20, 2007

Ted in Vegas writes:

The THUG LIFE strikes again! Sooner or later we, as a country, have to get some sense of public decency again.

How in the world this worthless thug could ever think this stuff is OK just shows how much we need to start teaching morality in our schools again.

• July 20, 2007

For those who actually pay attention to things....Bonds will NOT hold the home run record.
    He will hold a tainted record.

Hank Aaron will still be the record holder.

I don't care what kind of means anyone uses to claim anything to the contrary.

The best thing that's happening here is that the Giants suck, and Bonds will never, ever, taste victory. He'll surely sit out all games in Milwaukee so that he can be in front of his disillusioned hometown fans, so that he can "break the record" in San Fran.
    Too bad that MLB can't step in and make Barry just play the damn game wherever the Giants are playing.
    If I were his teammate, I'd be pissed off that he gets this kind of treatment.
    Can you imagine if the Giants were on a 12 game road trip? He'd sit for 2 weeks before batting just to "break the record" at home.

Just stupid.

• July 21, 2007

Gary Pierce writes:

Drew, there is not much more I can say, other than why? He Don't need the money, it boils down to the fact that he is one sick twisted puppy. G.P.

• July 21, 2007

Garbear writes:

Drew. I really don't have much to add other than the fact that this cat is one sick twisted Puppy. G.P.