July 13, 2007 11:15 AM

This End Up

drew0713.gif

• July 13, 2007

Ahhhhhh.....

Back to the season. I do hope the Rockies got their rest. They're going to need it.

Time for the classic summer swoon. Now that they will finally start playing teams from the West again, they are in for a load of trouble. Factor in that they no longer have a closer, and that their bullpen has been entirely unreliable, and that Clint Hurdle keeps saying the most idiotic things such as his quote that had something to do with the Rockies not knowing if they should break through the front window or go around and use the door or something stipid like that, and you have the makings of a very bad situation.
    Matt Holliday's bat is due to take a holiday soon enough. He is due for a prolonged slump. Every player has one every season, and his will likely come at the wrong time for the Rockies. Helton is finished as far as being "the guy." He doesn't scare anyone anymore.
    The ERA is the worst. Enough said about that.

In otherwords Rockies fans, don't think .500 at the break is a reason to be hopeful.

Cheers.

• July 13, 2007

Kurt writes:

Let the second half begin!

I hope the Rockies can keep playing as hard as they have before the break. Keep the hot bats going, and bring up the pitching a little, and they have a chance. The NL west will be a true test, but lets keep an optomistic outlook here!

Go get'm Rocks!

• July 13, 2007

.....Humbug! (*GRIN*)

• July 16, 2007

Happy days.

The 2nd half problems begin anew.

Matt Holliday gets a holiday after whiffing 4 times. Then comes back after his day off and blows the key moment of the game. Grounding into a double play with the bases loaded. What a beauty, Matt. Great job!

Helton is continuing to prove that he's a shell of his former (maybe steroid injectable) self? His numbers are so far down from where they were, that suspicion has to be raised. I mean, he got the $17Million a year deal because he hit for average and power. Now, he has no power. I wonder why......hmmm.....

Clint Hurdle: "Well boys....seems we don't know how to break a window. Let's all go 'round to the back door of this house, eh?"

• July 16, 2007

Michael writes:

I know I have a choice as to whether or not to read your commentary (Tom), but could you be any more pessimistic and irritating. Seriously, who peed in your cereal this morning? It is true that the Rockies probably do not have the pieces to be playing much past Sept. 30, but who knows. Isn’t it fun to think that as of today, in the middle of July, the Rockies are only 6.5 games back? Reality is that without some serious help in the bullpen the Rockies are going nowhere real fast, but at least they are in striking distance of a dream. It may be just a pipe dream, but at least they are still in the ball park.
    Last year the Minnesota Twins were 11 games out of first on July 16 – they won their division. It is not unheard of for a team that is 6.5 games back in mid-July to be playing some extra games in October.
    I for one would rather think of the possibilities, no matter how improbable, then to sit and bad mouth players and be a pessimistic pinhead, but that’s just my opinion.

• July 16, 2007

It is unheard of for the Rockies to come back from any number of games to win their division.
    Oh, and yes, I certianly could be more pessimistic and irritating, but I'm holding back just for you Michael. I hope you appreciate that.

• July 17, 2007

Michael writes:

Everything is unheard of... until it happens.
    (I do appreciate your restraint)

• July 17, 2007

That's very interesting Michael. Did you need to earn a Masters degree to come to that conclusion?

Bravo.

You've stunned me with your intelligence and extreme wit.

Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.

(*YAWN*)

• July 17, 2007

Michael writes:

Maybe the bored are truly the boring - or does somebody just need a nap (it could help your disposition)

• July 17, 2007

Sticks and Stones, Michael.....Sticks and Stones....

Didn't you learn anything in grade school?

**Yawn***

• July 18, 2007

Michael writes:

Yes, but the pen is mightier than the sword.
    Didn’t you learn anything beyond grade school?

• July 18, 2007

In a fight with you, I'll take a sword. Your pen is quite less than mighty.

But keep trying...and good luck to you.

• July 18, 2007

Michael writes:

This coming from the witless, sarcastic pessimist? I hope for your sake that your sword work is better than your work with a pen. If not, it would be you who needs the luck.

• July 18, 2007

***YAWN***..........

• July 18, 2007

Michael writes:

Oh... nap time again is it?

• July 18, 2007

Yep...it's hard to keep my eyes open when I read the complete drivel that you post here Mick. You simply bore people out of their skulls.

Go play with your crayola box a bit more.

Cheers.

• July 19, 2007

Michael writes:

I did not know that you were the spokesman for all people. Forgive me for disagreeing with your negative, nasty attack on the Rockies.
    Are you bored because I am advocating for optimism?
    Or are you bored because I chose to voice disagreement with your negative attack on the home town club?
    I simply wanted to point out that while the Rockies may or may not make the playoffs, it is fun to at least have them in the running. The Rockies play a game and as a working schmuck I want to come home from work and enjoy that game and think of the possibilities. For years we did this with the Broncos and every year we fell short. It was unheard of for the Broncos to win the whole thing and yet they did - twice.
    Get off of your high horse - besides, if you are so bored then why the heck are you responding?
    p.s. A road sweep of the Pirates at PNC looks pretty good to me - GO ROCKIES!!!

• July 19, 2007

Pittsburgh's record is 40-54.

They are also one of the few franchises that is run worse (can that really be?) than the Rockies. The Pirates haven't had a winning season in, what....20 years or something?

The Rockies sweeping such a team isn't anything to get hyped up about.

I mentioned not to get your hopes up. Soon enough, your beloved Rockies will be trying to keep up against the likes of the Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks.

Enjoy the sweeps of terrible teams. It doesn't prove anything.

• July 19, 2007

And to add.....

Washington's record is 39-55 going into tonights game....so well....the Rocks winning against a horrible Nationals team won't mean anything either.

Cheers.

• July 19, 2007

Michael writes:

I never said it proved anything. I never said the Rockies were going anywhere.
    I do not disagree that the Pirates are not the Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks, but for crying out loud - it's a game! Every win is something to get hyped about.
    Winning against a horrible Pirates team or a horrible Nationals team means just as much as a win against the Dodgers, Padres and Diamondbacks. They do not give more weight to a win over the Dodgers at the end of the year - they all count the same.
    Maybe you think I am a hopeless optimist that needs a dose of reality, but I am just fine thinking there is a glimmer of hope. I wish the Rockies were run better then they are. I wish we were competing for a pennant every year, but that is just not the way things are. This Rockies team is better than any Rockies team we have had in the past ten years - forgive me for thinking that - hey given a few good bounces here and there we may have an outside shot at some baseball in October. Do I think that is likely? Probably not - but you never know.
    They have a pretty good lineup this year and have shown some life that we usually do not see out of the Rockies. So forgive me for not being all about the negative.

• July 19, 2007

I just like ripping on the Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets, and Broncos. I don't hate them. It's just that....they're the local team, and I'm not a native. I did this same thing to Orioles fans back East. And man...you think the Rockies have problems? Try having your owner be Peter Angelos.

That's pretty much it.

It's what I do. If everyone cheered these teams on this blog, it might tend to be a bit vanilla.

I'm here to add some color.
    I think secretly....people wait for my posts to show up. For some, it might be their drug of choice.

You never know Michael. Maybe...just maybe....you are one of these folks. You might not even realize it.

Maybe I should change my name to "Firestarter?"

• July 20, 2007

Michael writes:

Fair enough.

Don’t kid yourself though, you are not a drug of choice, but some of your posts do seem marginally entertaining.

I do understand the need to give the home town fans a little jab now and then. I lived in Minnesota for awhile and the Vi-queens always give plenty to make fun of - talk about an organization on a party boat to nowhere.

• July 20, 2007

Cool Michael.

Truce.

Never take anything I say here too personally. The only time I make things personal is when I am being unfairly attacked.

And that hasn't happened here very often.

In general....I have always had something against folks who make idiotic amounts of money to do something that most people do for free (or pay to do). Yes, these are better athletes, and it's entertainment, but the prices and salaries are way out of whack. It simply should not cost what it costs.
    MLB ball players in the old days lived right next door to "normal" folks. There wasn't the seperation there is now. To me, the game has been deeply hurt because of this financial and status seperation.

It bugs me. So, i rip these athletes for it. Maybe not all of them deserve it, but in my mind, most do. Most are simply arrogant of where they are.

When was the last time you saw a team thank the crowd for coming out to see them play? I think all teams in pro sports should be waving to the crowd or something when they are leaving the playing surface. They should show some kind of admiration for the people who paid their paycheck that day. I mean, actors in a stageplay at least come out for a bow, right?