August 8, 2007 12:00 AM

Bonds #756

drew0809.gif

There it is. As Neil Young once so eloquently put it: the needle and the damage done. Bonds has left his ugly mark on the great game of baseball. Hopefully the record he has sullied will not last long. A-Rod or Albert Pujols will do their best to erase this national nightmare quickly, but will the game ever really be the same? Will we ever really be the same?

The legendary Hank Aaron will now be second on the all-time home run list, which, for me, is the most difficult part of all of this. Aaron, the proud, brave, warrior who stood strong in the midst of racial tension will always be remembered as one of baseball's most enduring heroes. Barry Bonds on the other hand will only be recalled with disdain for the game he has tarnished by cheating his way into the record books. It is, next to the the Black Sox scandal of 1919, baseball's darkest hour.

Jacob writes:

Drew, how can you be so sure that A-Rod or Pujols didn't take steroids? There's little evidence proving that Bonds did not take steroids, but I just find it funny how easy it is for you to pick and choose who to criticize. That my friend, is the true trait of a coward.

Rod writes:

Drew,

I have followed your disdain for Barry Bonds for some time. I was wondering when you are going to be able to provide any evidence that the man has in fact taken steroids. You feel so strongly that he is a cheater that I can only assume you must have some kind of proof. Right?

And you talk about racism... I wonder, where was your disdain for Mark McGuire when he was closing in on the single-season homerun record not so long ago?

Aaron writes:

"Little evidence that Bonds did not take steroids?"

How about his admission in front of a grand jury that he did, in fact, take steroids, albeit in his words, unknowingly.

The reasons for defending this cheater are weak, and frankly, naive.

robert writes:

Rod, Bonds himself has admitted to taking the clear and the cream, or if you prefer "flaxseed oil". If and when you take your head out of the sand take a look around.

Sammy Sosa's corked bat writes:

I just wanted all of you to know that just because you cheated, does not mean you did not win.

Sosa's corked bat writes:

Joe writes:

The game of baseball has been a joke since the owners deposed the last independant commissioner. To put the onus on Bonds for the allegation of breaking rules that this farce of a league did nothing to enforce , and breaking records in the process is the attitude of an irresponsible ass. Put the heat were it should be, on Selig and the owners.

Congratulations Barry Bonds!

erik erikson writes:

Drew, what a great cartoon! That asterisk says it all.

Kurt writes:

Bonds admitted to taking steroids.! You can't support somebody who cheated to beat a record or improve their game.

Thankfully we can move on and get back to baseball, and leave all this nonsense behind, and in a couple of years when Arod blows past bonds he will be nothing but an asterisk mark!

broncosfan68 writes:

Drew,

Give the self righteous indignation a break. Your cartoon has turned into nothing but a pulpit for you to express your faux "moral outrage" about all the "atrocities" that occur in the sports world. I mean for god's sake it is a game. It is entertainment. I used to find your cartoons funny until I had to read your comments.

The fact is--yeah the guy probably cheated. He never got caught. Steroid rules weren't enforced until a few years ago. With all the things in the world to be upset about--is it really that important? You could really use some perspective.

• August 8, 2007

Rod, you're an ignorant little child aren't you?

There was little suspicion about Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa during their chase, because baseball wasn't investigatng anything. The news about BALCO wasn't news.
    The information in "Game Of Shadows" wasn't public knowledge.
    MLB had an ostrich syndrome about steroids and other drugs. "If I don't see it, it's not there."

That doesn't work anymore.
    People have a problem with other people deceiving them. If you don't have a problem with people playing you for a fool, then....well....I really have no idea how you can be helped. If this is the case, you are quite the naive fellow.

Good luck to you.

Jacob writes:

Tom, wrong again, sports illustrated reported that year that McGwire took some sort of creatine that is now banned in 1998. Sports Illustrated claimed that it did not aid him (not quite sure where they got that) even though it is now banned. Check your facts before opening your ignorant mouth. And broncofan, i completely agree with you. Win Lose & Drew was my favorite thing about the News, now that I have to read Drew's "holier than thou" opinions, I'm begginning to hate it. Drew, you should be ashamed of yourself. You're no different than all of those shock jocks who like to pick and choose who to crucify. Why not do a cartoon about the Mets signing Guillermo Mota AFTER he tested positive for steroids? Oh right, that doesn't sell papers. Bonds took steroids for the glory and the money. You are no different. You choose hot button topics with very little substance with the sole purpose of selling newspapers. Congratulations on selling out Drew, I'm going to go read the Post, at least Kizla and Paige have reasons to hate Bonds.

Jacob writes:

I also find it funny how there's so much moral outrage over 756, that it's tainted because of steroids. What about .406? or 56? Dimaggio and Williams set those records before minorities were let into the game. Look at the effect that minorities have on the game today, you think that those numbers would still be the same if they had to hit against Satchel Paige? Those records are more tainted than 756 or 73. While Bonds cheated, Dimaggio and Williams weren't playing against the cream of the crop. Baseball fans need to get some perspective and stop pretending to be morally outraged by ONE player.

Nate writes:

Mark McGwire used roids, Sammy Sosa may have, Bonds most definitely has/does. Look at Barry 10 years ago.....and look at Barry now. He's a beast, his head has doubled in size, your skull stops growing at around 17-18 years old. Bonds head is twice the size it was when he was 32. Bonds was a great player at one time, one of the best in the league, it's sad that he had to take roids to intensify his skills. As far as A-Rod, he's not on roids, the man has been the same size since he started in the league. McGwire blew up, Sosa somewhat blew up. Don't be naive and defend these players. Regardless of what records are broken, the original Sports Superstar is Babe Ruth, handsdown, cannot argue that fact.

Jacob...

And....(yawn)....your point was....what?

I believe I dozed off after starting to read your insane drivel.

Sincerely,
    My Ignorant Mouth

Jacob,

Being black or white doesn't make you a better baseball player.

Steroids tilts the playing field.

How old are you? Eleven?

Jacob writes:

Hey Tom! Fun fact! Blacks weren't allowed to play baseball until 1949! You're saying that that didn't change the outcome of the records at all? I apologise for not connecting blacks not being in baseball and white baseball players records being changed for you. I didn't realize that you didn't have the intelligence to do that yourself. I apologise for overestimating your intelligence, I feel like such a fool. By the way, LOVE the age insult, that's always an origional and witty comeback.

*YAWN*

Jacob writes:

Hey everybody! I shut Tom up! lol what a tool

Jacob writes:

Wow, I should receive some sort of medal for being the first person to ever shut Tom up.

Ahhhh silence, the sound of victory

Rick Santos writes:

Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time!!! Go Barry... P.S. my 6 year-old kid does better drawings.

Bronco Fan in PA writes:

Hey Everybody!

In reading all of your posts there is one HUGE detail these Bonds supporters have seemed to forget. Bonds personal trainer Greg Anderson is serving his 2nd. let me repeat, his 2nd stint behind bars for not testifying to a Federal Grand Jury. If Bonds was so clean why is his trainer unwilling to testify?

The cliffs notes answer is: Bonds creamed and cleared his way to the most sacred record in baseball.

I'll be rooting for one of the following three for years to come: A-Rod, Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard to break Bonds tainted record.

Rod writes:

Tom,

Insults aside, despite the fact that Bonds' presonal trainer has been caught and the admittedly suspicious claim that Bonds did not "knowingly" take steroids the fact remains that he has never tested positive for steroid use.

Everyone has simply made up their mind that he is a cheater, without any real proof.

I am willing to admit that he MAY have done steroids. But neither you nor Drew nor anyone else can prove it. Can you? And if not then I just can't see why you feel so passionately about something you cannot possibly be certain of.

Now, feel free to launch more insults if you want - afterwards ask yourself: what are you basing your assertions on: proof or speculation?

I guess there's no point mentioning that I hate baseball... GO BRONCOS!!!

robert writes:

Rod, what part of bonds admitting he took the clear and the cream don't you understand?

Thrawn writes:

Rod,

Not being able to prove that he took steroids and not ever testing positive is not the same thing as never taking steroids.

He went up three shoe sizes as an adult. Things like that do not happen without some kind of help.

I just have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt under the circumstances. What makes you doubt it? (Other than the fact that he hasn't been caught doing it.)

Wow Jacob.

I was thinking you were just strange, obnoxious, and ignorant.

I wasn't sure that you were absolutely immature until your last 2 posts.

After those, I'm truly expecting you to pull out a "Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo" at some point.

Gregg writes:

Get off everyone's back Jacob. You're a little punk brat who apparently has lost his pacifier. You seem to be looking for a fight here. Easy to do on a forum where you aren't going to have the opportunity to have someone plant a foot in your keister.

Really brave.
    I wonder how brave you'd be if this was all said in person. I can only imagine that you were the kid who was always picked on in middle school because he annoyed everyone to death. Seems like you've been holding a grudge ever since.

Drew,

On a similar note, I was wondering what your thoughts were of hank Aaron's video message to Bonds after #756*?
    I thought...well...it's gracious of Aaron to do so, but I was shocked. Bonds simply doesn't deserve the time of day from Hank. Any thoughts on why you think he caved in and did the message?

Towns writes:

MLB let the steroids era happen by not having a testing policy in the 90s, so now they have to deal with an accused steroid user holding the homerun record. Anybody who thinks that Bonds is the only person to cheat is either plain crazy or a damn fool

Towns writes:

• August 9, 2007

Towns....Yes, it is agreed that MLB failed horribly in not testing during the 90's and so on.

That still doesn't change the fact that these players couldn't just play the game the way it was supposed to be played, with natural ability. They had to take "help".

It's not a game any longer to these players. It's "How can I artificially make myself a stronger and better ball player so that I can sign the largest contract possible."

Look....if you're not good enough to play in the Major Leagues, then find a real 9 to 5 job and do your part for society. Serve me my bagel and espresso at Starbucks if you don't have what it takes to hit the home runs that your MLB club expects you to to stay on the roster.

I've just been reading stories now that high school athletes in Texas are now being subjected to steroid testing. That, right there is unreal.

The saddest part of this whole mess is that kids today will never be able to experiencce having a real, true athlete "hero" along the lines of a Cal Ripken or Tony Gwynn or Hank Aaron. They played the game with their given ability and they excelled at every level of the game of baseball through hard work and dedication.

The same will never be said for the high majority of today's ball players and athletes in most sports these days.

johnnyD writes:

You guys crack me up!! if it wasn't for Drew you wouldn't have anything to talk about...it's a CARTOON for crying out loud! I'm sure this is the exact reaction he's looking for...GOOD JOB DREW!!

Towns writes:

Johnny D, you're absolutley right, I know you obviously have so much more to do and would never leave a lame comment under a cartoon.... and Tom, I agree with you when it comes to the state of professional athletes these days but Bonds was a no doubt hall of famer before the steroid scandal and athletes aren't the only people at fault, as fans if we are willing to pay these huge contracts and we let our children idolize them then we are at fault as well. There are plenty of people ouside of professional sports that are positive role models. Maybe we should take professional sports for what it is...entertainment.

Towns writes:

• August 10, 2007

Rod writes:

Robert,

My understanding is that he said he never knowingly took steroids. To be honest, I'm not sure how that would work but to me it seems this means he was given steroids by his trainer (who is now in jail) and would, in theory at least, have stopped taking them once the trainer was gone.

Maybe not - but then that leads to Thrawn's point: why give him the benefit of the doubt? I guess this is where the controversy lies. Some people, based on general perception, assume he's guilty. Others, maybe somewhat naively, choose to believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. For me, I do think it is entirely possible that he was juiced up and knew about it - but, and this is where my ignorance of how the MLB's steroid policy works kicks in, why wasn't he caught?

The fact that he never tested positive means he must have been tested, right? Is there some flaw in the system that is not generally known? If there is, then I must agree that the fault lies with the league for allowing this to happen - they are the ones responsible for enforcing their own rules.

• August 10, 2007

Thrawn writes:

There could be plenty of rational explanations as to why he has not been caught. How long do traces stay in your system? Did he know when he was going to be tested? Are there things one can do to fool the tests, like some say you can do with pot? Was it really his piss? The possibilities are endless.

Was it Carmello's pot? Did Mike Anderson really inhale enough second hand pot smoke to test positive? It comes down to ho you believe. There are too many red flags to ignore the allegations against Bonds.

• August 10, 2007

Rod writes:

No, I see what you're saying. Fair enough.

But then couldn't you say that about anyone? I mean, I could say that Tyrell Davis used steroids (NOTE: I am not saying he did). And then, by your standards, if enough people kept repeating it then it would somehow have to be true.

Now, I realise things are way more suspicious with Barry Bonds. But still, if you're going to accuse the guy of basically being complete fraud I think you should have some real evidence. That's all I'm trying to get at.

• August 10, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Fair enough, but as you point out, there is a lot more suspicion surrounding Bonds than just a bunch of people saying so. The increased head size, the increased shoe size, his sudden increase in power at one point in his career... I think you see where I am going with this.

(Although, some factor that big piece of tire looking armor that he wore on his elbow a factor since he never had the fear of having his arm broken off when leaning over the plate.)