August 25, 2007 6:00 AM

Broncos Find Their Way

drew0825.gif

Thanks again to everyone for the great response to the Fantasy Football invitation as well as the nominations for the 25th Anniversary celebration. It looks as though we have enough teams for the Fraternal Order of Pigskin but I'll let you know if we have any no shows.
Speaking of no shows that would certainly describe last weeks Broncos defense. They seem to be Rebels without a clue at the moment. So I have a question. What do you think will be the Broncos most important key or keys to a successful season? Let me know by leaving your comment.

• August 25, 2007

Bill writes:

This toon actually makes it seem like the cactuses (or is it cactii?), can run past the defense too!
    Unfortunately, as I have said in a previous blog here, when the Broncos defense looks bad in preseason, no matter how much they say that they will get it together by the time the season starts, their preseason performance usually carries into the regular season. It has just been that way in previous seasons.
    Maybe it's time to break the chain???

• August 25, 2007

Jacob writes:

bill, how in the world can you say that preseason performance translates into the regular season?
    2006 patriots preseason record: 2-2, regular season record: 12-4.
    indy preseason: 1-3, regular season: 12-4 super bowl champs
    houston texans preseason: 3-1, regular season: 6-10
    oakland raiders preseason: 4-1, regular season: 2-14
    san diego chargers preseason: 2-2, regular season: 14-2
    carolina preseason: 4-0, regular season: 8-8
    new orleans preseason: 1-3, regular season: 10-6
    minnesota preseason: 2-1-1, regular season: 6-10
    let's just go with a few more stats to prove how wrong you are:
    sd point differential preseason: -5, regular season: +189
    cincy point differential preseason: +77, regular season: +42
    indy point differential preseason: -19, regular season: +67
    you obviously haven't followed the nfl until this year if you don't understand that preseason performance almost always means NOTHING when translating into the regular season, if that were the case, our super bowl this year should be either miami, pittsburgh, tennessee, jacksonville, or oakland vs. dallas, chicago, detroit, or green bay

• August 25, 2007

Jacob writes:

2001 broncos preseason: 3-1, regular season: 8-8
    2004 broncos preseason: 2-3, regular season: 10-6
    2006 broncos preseason: 3-1, regular season 9-7
    so you can't say that their preseason performance usually carries into the regular season when 3 of the past 6 seasons their preseason record has not even remotely resembled their regular season record

• August 25, 2007

Watching the game, and well...

I very much enjoyed watching the inept Cleveland Browns just disect the Broncos on the games opening drive.

I'm beginning to think 4-12 or 5-11 might be a more realistic record than the 6-10 I have predicted.

It doesn't matter what Denver does on offense this game. The Browns are awful defensively. But....wow...the defense of Denver sucks.

• August 25, 2007

Jacob writes:

I'm a Browns fan and I am loving how the only reason the Broncos scored their touchdown was because they're playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers. We are dominating your defense!!!!

I hope someone hits Cutler so hard helmet on helmet that his career that Cutler's career ends. He's such a wuss. It's surprising that he's not swinging a purse.

• August 25, 2007

Recap:

Denver's 1st teamers were awful. Fumble on the first snap. Cutler threw an interception (the only reason it's not official was because of a penalty that has nothing to do with the awful decision on Cutler's part to throw it.)
    The first team defense is just terrible. Also, Elvis Dummerville is a dirty player.
    Dre Bly got torched for a touchdown (that wasn't official only because Cleveland failed to challenge the play.)
    Todd Sauerbraun is seriously ineffective. Maybe without steriods, he's just not a good punter.

All in all.....the only players that did anything good are players that won't make the roster.

The Broncos have MAJOR problems EVERYWHERE folks. And it's not just because it's preseason.

They'll be out of the race for the playoffs in October.

• August 25, 2007

Derek writes:

Go ahead Jacob. Go ahead and pretend that a hollow preseason victory can erase the misery that the Broncos have dealt to your Browns. Pretend that while you cheered on the opening drive of a preseason game, you were able to temporarily forget about THE DRIVE that happened in a playoff game. Pretend, if you can, that the Browns may someday avenge THE FUMBLE... also a playoff game if you recall. Finally, try to imagine a distant day... in an almost unimaginable future, when the Browns can hold a candle to the Broncos. I admire you Jacob... it's good to have a dream.

• August 25, 2007

Jacob writes:

The Drive?

The Fumble?

That's ancient history.

We're talking NOW. And our rookie QB looks LOADS more comfortable than your does. Cutler FUMBLED the FIRST snap of the game for Denver.

Quinn, meanwhile, ROASTED Dre Bly for a touchdown that the official missed.

Denver's defense had zero pressure on any of our QB's, and we sacked your QB's a bunch, including a sack/fumble that earned us the winning touchdown.

Denver sucks. At least Cleveland has a future, and a QB that doesn't fall apart under pressure.

• August 26, 2007

Bill writes:

Well Jacob, I never said that the preseason scoring translated into the regular season, I stated that when Denver's defense, in the past, performed poorly, the defense had a TENDENCY to play similarly in the regular season.
    I never suggested SCORING or overall playing translated into the regular season as you have described. I was talking only a tendency with Denver's defense that I have observed in the past.

And for someone who exuberantly states that the preseason means NOTHING is most extremely excited about an offense that disected a defense that has been lacking, to say the least, and "toasted" a corner who has been toasted in camp by his own offense in a preseason that means NOTHING, might want to think about what that truly means for your own team. Wouldn't you say that your Browns offense that disected Denver's defense means NOTHING since it is preseason?
    I simply stated that Denver's defense has shown poor performance in the regular season after a poor showing in the preseason.
    So I guess that by your ranting and name calling about Denver performing so poorly, you are merely agreeing with me!

• August 26, 2007

Jacob (bronco fan) writes:

actually the browns fan jacob is different than the one who initially posted the comments about the preseason, but to get to your point, you said that you said that the "defense had a TENDENCY to play similarly in the regular season." funny how people can misquote themselves because if everybody could just draw their attention to the bottom of the page, they will see that you actually said "their preseason performance usually carries into the regular season." slight difference between tendencies and results bill, and browns fan jacob, i love how you're so excited about brady quinn being able to hit his halfback 17 times a game for a 6 yard gain. yeah, i was really impressed at his ability to throw the ball 6 yards to a wide open halfback against 11 guys who will probably be out of a job next week. yup, you sure have the golden boy right there. puhleeeeeeeeeeease, brady quinn is going to be good, but you cannot possibly believe that because he can dink and dunk against a 3rd team defense that he's ready to go against baltimore and pittsburgh's defenses 4 times a year? he won't get 300 passing yards combined in those 4 games. and tom, find a new niche because you don't upset anyone with your negativity, it's annoying. you're not stirring the pot anymore, you're just being a douchebag who has nothing to contribute to the conversation.

• August 26, 2007

Jacob (bronco fan) writes:

also to comment on the game last night, the offense looked ok, but what the hell do you expect when you're missing 2 offensive lineman (meadows and hamilton). no one ever realizes how important offensive line continuity is. when did the broncos season go down the toilet last year? when matt lepsis got hurt. what about the rams? when did their season go to waste? when orlando pace got hurt. seattle missed the playoffs a few years ago because walter jones got hurt. pittsburgh fell apart because alan faneca missed a bunch of games. you can't set the same standards for chris myers and erik pears as you can for ben hamilton and adam meadows. cutler looked decent. he's not going to be the 2nd coming this year but it looks like he's going to be an efficient qb, something like 14/22 230 yds 2 tds 1 int. the defense has 1 big problem and that's a pass rush. jim bates is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to get pressure with the front 4. the broncos do not have the talent at defensive end to do that. he HAS to blitz or else the defense will get torched all day long as we have seen. the broncos have loads of talent on defense, i just think that bates is underutilizing it. we never seen john lynch near the line of scrimmage, dj williams is dropped into coverage more often than not. the system could be a real problem because the only guy on the team who fits the system is sam adams. bates needs to tweak his system and blitz at least 30% of the time. one last thought: if brandon marshall can stay healthy (which remains to be seen) he's gonna be a stud, 6'5'' 225 lb wide recievers don't grow on trees

• August 26, 2007

Rick (Not A Fan Of Cutler) writes:

Can someone please notify Jay Cutler to get a hair stylist, and also stop looking so insanely STONED when doing interviews. PUT DOWN THE BONG, JAY!!!!!
    As for the Broncos, they looked AWFUL!!!!!!!!

Jacob (Bronco Fan)....you are so fair-weathered...frankly, it's disgusting.

The Broncos got abused by a franchise that has nothing to play for this year except to get their excellent rookie QB (Quinn) some experience.
    The Broncos are attempting to hand over the reigns to a QB that cannot handle pressure on the field. He has constantly held onto the ball too long, nearly had his head removed by diving headfirst into tacklers, thrown behind receivers, and cannot seem to cleanly handle snaps from center.
    Cutler is a liability. And this is coming from a guy who used to have season tickets to the Broncos until 2002. I believe in my heart that Mike Shanahan has made a serious mistake by not having Cutler hold the clipboard for another season or two. Cutler is not ready. Shanahan should have gotten an experienced QB to fill in this season while Cutler LEARNED.
    The Broncos will be lucky to go 8-8.

• August 26, 2007

Rick (Not A Fan Of Cutler) writes:

By the way Jacob (Bronco Fan).....

Your fondness for calling people names here (as you have called Tom a "douchebag") is GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, I hate people that are so full of themselves like you, Jacob (Bronco Fan).....You think that no one else but you has an opinion, and if they do, it MUST be one that goes with the flow of your own. It must sicken you each time anyone tries to contradict you.
    I've been a Bronco Fan...I've been a season ticket holder.....But I've never encountered a more rude and obnoxious "fan" than you.
    You owe Tom an apology. He might be "attacking" the Broncos (surely in jest), but he's NEVER ATTACKED YOU!

People like you make me sick.

• August 26, 2007

Jacob (bronco fan) writes:

he actually has attacked me on more than one occasion, and since you seem to have painted me as a guy who calls people names, then i guess i may just go along with it, so here goes. rick, you are an inept intellectually-challenged dunce who probably doesn't understand the last 5 words i said without using a dictionary, there. oh and another thing, i have no problem with someone who thinks the broncos suck, cuz frankly right now, they do, but if you were to read more than just one post you'd realize that all tom really wants to do is get people riled up so he goes against the grain and says ridiculous things like patrick ramsey (who looks like the worst backup in football) should be starting over cutler, so before you speak you neanderthal (just for you rick :-D) you might want to actually know what the hell it is that you are saying

• August 26, 2007

Jacob (bronco fan) writes:

Rick, i also like how you called me a fair weather fan. I don't think you quite know what that means because by supporting the broncos through this period where they suck, I'm actually doing the opposite of what a fair weathered fan would do...close though, nice try

• August 26, 2007

Bill writes:

Thanks for the clarification on your name Jacob (bronco fan). You are right, I did say that "their preseason performance usually carries into the regular season." But again it is in a statement referencing the defense only. I did equate the word "usually" with "TENDANCY" which was an error on my part.
    I'll blame it on being a rookie blogger!
    But I am looking forward to the season and I always hope that the team plays better in the regular season.
    I also got a kick out of the fact that Cutler fumbled a snap. Last year he did that once in a few of the games he started. It's OK though, even some of the greats had their early rough years. But in today's NFL, I don't think many fans and franchises are too forgiving if a trend continues in a short period of time.
    Also, concerning the Browns. My friend's son plays defensive end on that team: Kamerion Wimbley. I worked with his dad for about 4 years and my stepson played guard for him at Northwest HS. Kamerion actually played QB here before going to Florida and switching to defense.
    Looking forward to the season!!!

• August 26, 2007

Rick writes:

Thanks for proving my point Jacob (Bronco Fan)...
    You're easy prey.

• August 26, 2007

Jacob (bronco fan) writes:

lol, i'm easy prey because i pointed out the fact that you have no idea what a fair weather fan is? if you're trying to confuse me, congratulations cuz right now you're contradicting yourself so much you have my head spinning

• August 26, 2007

Derek writes:

You're right Jacob (Browns fan) the drive and the fumble are ancient history. However, your acrid disdain for the Broncos proves that they still live on in the minds of Browns fans. I've been where you are. I've been totally stoked after an awesome Broncos preseason, only to watch them fall apart in the regular season. I've also seen them kick butt after totally stinking up every preseason venue. I do not have the time or the inclination to continue a season long dialogue with you. I ask only this. Think about me when it's all said and done.

• August 27, 2007

Brian writes:

To quote Madden...The key to a successful winning season for the Broncos will be to win more games than they lose.

I think the defense is still trying to grasp the Jim bates system and it may take 2-4 regular season games to get into any sort of rhythm.

• August 27, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Win-loss record in the preseason does not indicate how the broncos will do in the regular season, but i will tell you hat does... it is the consistency of the starters.

Jake Plummer's second season was like this when the starters could not get into the end zone all pre-season. That translated to a very average offense most of the year.

The following year, a major improvement, and that translated to a pretty good year a couple of years ago.

Look at the Raiders going 4-1 last year in pre-season, but anyone who watched those games saw the starters really struggle and saw the 3rd stringers pull out the win. The results? They were lucky to win two games.

The guys that matter are struggling out there just to stop average offenses with their "bend but not break" philosophy. I would almost rather they go back to where they sucked a few years ago when teams took 4 minutes to march down the field instead of most of a whole quarter. At least the offense had the ball more and had a chance. Now it seems to take so long to stop anyone the offense is sleepwalking by the time they take the field for their three and out.... only to wait another 8-9 game minutes before taking the field again.

I fear time of posession is really going to hurt this year. I hope I'm wrong, but that is my observation.

Also, i guess Rick and I are the only Bronco fans not blown away by Cutler. (I really have not seen a whole lot to get excited about... yet.)

• August 27, 2007

MJ writes:

The Raiders went 4-1 last year in pre-season? They played 5 games?

• August 27, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Yep.

Kirk Morrison said. "For the preseason, this is OK, but we've been down this road last year. We were 4-1 in the preseason, and then we felt like we couldn't do anything when the season started. We need to take this in the season this time."

Some teams have been known to play 5 pre-season games from time to time.

• August 27, 2007

Gandhi writes:

Non-violence!!!

Non-violence!!!

• August 27, 2007

Preseason games CAN impact how well or how not well a team plays in the regular season.

Let's take one example....

Washington Redskins.

Their first team offense produced ZERO points in the preseason last year.
    They ended up 5-11.

The Broncos defense has been horrible. Defenses are supposed to get better as the preseason goes along, not worse. At best...the defense is the same as it was against Dallas, which is to say, horrible.
    Cutler has not looked even remotely comfortable behind center. Ramsey, after looking sharp in Dallas, regressed against a defensively challenged squad in Cleveland (another bad sign.)
    Any numbers that Cutler has put up are extremely inflated. His yardage passed for is exaggerated due to so many yards gained by the receiver after his throw is complete. His little dink pass of 3 yards then becomes a 30 yarder. I've never agreed with QB's getting credit for yards passed in this way. It gives them too much credit.
    Lets also note that John Lynch has been invisible. John...you're old. You don't scare anyone anymore now that you're not allowed to be a dirty player and try to seperate someone's head from their torso with your dirty head-hunting tactics.
    Dre Bly looked pedestrian against Cleveland.
    Todd Sauerbraun looked horrific.
    Basically.....not a whole lot to get excited about.
    Yes....it's the preseason, and yes...the Donks have, what?...5 out of 7 games at home to begin the season (who the hell is the schedule maker who was bought off to provide that, by the way....???), but Shanahan has a HUGE problem. Sure, the offense might some around, but if a team can't stop anyone from running wild or consistently moving the ball and converting 3rd down after 3rd down....it's going to be 6-10 or worse.

• August 27, 2007

David Kircus writes:

Hey everyone,

Now that I'm out of a job, I'm considering maybe being a bouncer at the Diamond Caberet.
    What are your thoughts?

So much for the Kircus Circus.