August 23, 2007 6:00 AM

Flight of Fantasy

drew0823.gif

I'll be joining my usual Fantasy League here at the News soon. I finished last in 2006 mostly because I had Shaun Alexander. Any body else have Fantasy Football experiences they want to share?

• August 23, 2007

good ol' george writes:

I don't want to hear about fantasy football unless it involves a cheerleader.

• August 23, 2007

good ol' george writes:

I don't want to hear about fantasy football unless it involves a cheerleader.

• August 23, 2007

Gordo writes:

I had TO in his last year for Philly. I was excited I got him until he started up the antics. That is a killer. Last year I had Plummer.

• August 23, 2007

Gordo writes:

• August 23, 2007

Is there a double click button on this page somewhere?

I've never understood what drives folks to get involved in fantasy football, baseball, etc?

What is the deal? This process seems far too complicated. I don't even try to understand the BCS in college football. Whatever happened to going out and actually playing in the backyard, or getting together a team for flag-football in the park? Pretending you're Joe Montana throwing a bomb to Jerry Rice, etc.....THAT is fantasy football in my eyes.

• August 23, 2007

Double Clicker writes:

Tom,
    Fantasy football is quite simple. If you are able to get on here and complain about everything, you certainly have the ability to play fantasy football. It is very simple. But you are right, nothing beats a game of football in the backyard or in the street playing from stop sign to stop sign. AAHH, the good old days.

• August 23, 2007

Mark writes:

We have a tradition on Sundays where, based on what time the Broncos play that week, we play flag football, watch the Broncos, and check the fantasy scores of the league we're all in.

Now that, Tom, is a trifecta.

The only down side of fantasy is cheering when a player you have on your team, does well against the Broncos. Like Priest, Larry Johnson, or LaDainian.

I think I've developed a split personality from it.

• August 23, 2007

Rob writes:

Ah, Fantasy Football. I'm so glad i've quit. My first year I thought I was getting a good pick getting Steve Young. I don't think he survived the first game in Miami. Then I was fortunate enough to pick up some guy named Kurt Warner nobody ever heard of in free agency and salvaged my season.

• August 23, 2007

Bill writes:

Last year I had a great lineup featuring McNabb and Stallworth. As the season wore on I picked up Brown. So with McNabb popping a lot of TD throws to Brown and the long ones to Stallworth, the team fell upon hard times when Mcnabb went down. Lesson learned!

• August 23, 2007

Peter writes:

Last year I was in a league on nfl.com, but do to working nights I slept through the draft and wound up having the first pick... which my auto-draft was not prepared for... I wound up with Shaun Alexander when I would have gone for, Broncos forgive me, Tomlinson or Manning first had I been doing it live.

• August 24, 2007

Jacob writes:

last year i had my best fantasy year ever, had breakout players like marc bulger, stephen jackson, and frank gore. my first pick of the draft was larry johson, so i ended up trading him and darrell jackson for torry holt, javon walker, chicago's defense and tony gonzalez and i still finished runner up to my girlfriend who got the 1st pick in the draft and had LT to go along with drew brees and really no one else, now that is depressing

• August 24, 2007

Charlie writes:

I've been playing fantasy football since I was a kid. My cousins and I used to get together and draft before there were all these guru magazines. One of my cousins was a math genius and figured out a scoring system.

My favorite fantasy player was James Lofton and since he was on my team I always rooted for the Bills when they weren't playing the Broncos. See what loyalty gets you, between those two teams I agonized over 7 lost super bowls. Although Don Beebe is my hero for running down Leon Lett!!