August 18, 2007 6:00 AM

Michael Vick's trouble

drew0818.gif

• August 18, 2007

Lynn Larson writes:

1990 An Irish Stew - C.U.'s National Championship win over Notre Dame, however my favorite overall cartoon that shows Drew's dedication to his community, teachers, and students is the personally autographed cartoon that Drew gave to me at the Rocky Mtn. News in Education Conference a few years back. It depicts a student's brain as a sponge indicating the huge responsibility that a teacher and community have in assisting that sponge to develop to its full potential. Drew's Christian commitment to a better life for all was made so clear on that day. If you ever publish his entire cartoon collection for the 25 year period, please let me know as I would love to purchase a copy.

• August 18, 2007

Derek writes:

One of my faves was the Doug Moe cartoon singing the Willie Nelson On the Road Again. Hilarious.

• August 18, 2007

Charlie writes:

One of my favorite cartoons is an old one where Bobby Humphrey had played well for a couple years as running back for the Broncos and decided to hold out for a better contract. Meanwhile in the first couple of games his replacement was Gaston Green and he went berzerk on his way to a 1,000 yard season. Your cartoon showed Green running circles around the defense that spelled out Bobby Who?

The greatest of all time however has got to be after the Broncos Super Bowl victory when Staubach, Namath and the all-time great QB's were carrying Elway off the field on their shoulders. That win vindicated Elway as one of the greatest ever. Also the cartoon in honor of Charles Schultz was very moving. As are all of your tributes.

• August 19, 2007

Jim writes:

To add to the nominees - I just found an old cartoon I had cut out of the paper in high school with Lou Gehrig giving Cal Ripken a thumb's up when Cal was breaking his record. Right now, that seems to be the last boken record in baseball that means something. Thanks for all the great cartoons!

• August 20, 2007

ace writes:

This guy belongs in jail and I hope that the NFL (especially the Falcon's organization) will have the guts to dump Vick and let him fade into the backdrop as he deserves. Enough of this saga. Let's move on to inspiring tales of good people (if they even exist anymore).

• August 20, 2007

ace writes:

• August 20, 2007

If/When Vick serves his sentence (whatever that may be in this day and age, when a 4 year sentence really means 8 months and out on "good behavior).....If any team actually signs this guy to another contract and allows him to EVER play football again....every person in the nation should boycott the NFL for good.
    Ray Lewis should have gone to jail for a LONG time. Instead, he walks.
    Pacman Jones will surely skate as well. Then some desperate team will sign the punk to play.
    That Little guy who killed the woman driving drunk played football again.

Will the No Felony League strike again?

My guess is that Vick will plea, and he'll serve minimal time, and then some team like the Houston Texans will sign him once his jail time has been served. It happens all the time. It will shock no one, but it should.

• August 20, 2007

Interesting move by the Broncos today, trading Warren to the Raiders.
    Now, they just had better hope that if Warren makes the Raiders roster, that Cutler doesn't end up chasing his own head around the field after a sack by Warren this season.
    Not saying that will happen, but this is a move the Broncos could possibly regret making.

• August 20, 2007

Bill writes:

Unfortunately, in seasons past, when the Broncos defense has looked bad in the preseason, there is a lot of "We'll figure it out," rhetoric from the players. I have yet to see a bad Broncos preseason defense "figure it out" in the regular season. Here's hoping this season is different, but it's usually the coordinated scheme and or the players all getting on the same page.

• August 20, 2007

Towns writes:

Wow Tom, I think your views on Vick are a bit extreme, the NFL is no different from any other company in America, if you can make the people in charge money there will always be a job for you. As far as all the felons in the NFL, I don't think it is any different from all these CEOs that get busted for ripping off their company and ruining thousands of peoples lives. When they get caught they always serve very little time in some resort prison and they don't lose all of their millions of dollars either. I am not saying that I don't think what Vick did was wrong, of course it was wrong but he will pay the price whatever it is and he will move on with the rest of his life just like every other criminal in America regardless if their crime was killing dogs or "white collar crime" whatever the hell that is

• August 21, 2007

Jacob writes:

Tom, learn the legal system, the judge doesn't have to accept the plea bargain. The max sentence for his crime is 40 years in prison, I'm 100% confident that if they enter into a plea of 4 months that the judge will throw it out and take it to the case. Life must really suck for you. You have a negative outlook on life and your only joy is calling out people on a Rocky Mountain News message board. So sad...

• August 21, 2007

Actually Jacob,

My life is perfect. I get to state my own opinion on matters and, as an added bonus, I get to watch folks like you get riled up at my opinions.

It's great fun, and it requires nearly zero effort on my part.

Make no mistake, I have a great life.

You seem to miss the main point here every time. I fire negativity towards idiot athletes who make absurd sums of money to play childrens games. There is no negative outlook on life itself.

Oh and Jacob.....

Have a NICE day there!!!
    In your honor, I'm releasing a dozen white doves and passing out candy hearts to everyone I meet today. And just for you, I promise not to mention the fact that the Rockies once again blew an eighth inning lead to the horrible Pirates, and that it makes me very happy. I really won't mention it. I swear.

• August 22, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Tom,

On that sentencing issue, it is a little bit different when the feds dail you. A 4 year sentence is a 4 year sentence. There is no parole on good behavior in the federal system. The state systems deal with early releases, and I have read that the state may still go after him after the feds are done.

My guess though is that he will serve no more than a year with this plea deal even though some sources say he still could get as much as 24 month.

I do agree with you that some team will sign him. He'll be back in this league, I guarantee it.

• May 1, 2010

Zulma Schaalma writes:

I´ve been reading your blog for awhile and also it under no circumstances occurred to me to comment. Which is absolutely ironic, for the reason that I´ve spent a lot of time over the history few months studying what it takes to make people comment on my own website. Soon after reading a few your posts I guess it´s controversial topics that stir people´s emotions to the point exactly where they can´t simply just ´let it go.´