August 17, 2007 6:00 AM

The Rockies Rotation

drew0817.gif

Just when the Rox looked like they could make a run at the division half the team ends up on the DL. The pitching staff was thin enough already but now...it looks a lot like the image I came up with. I just don't think they have enough depth to sustain things. Too bad. Clearly they have a foundation to build on. That is, of course, until the Monforts refuse to pay the Hollidays and Tulowitzkis of this franchise. Then, guess what? We'll all be asked to be patient while they rebuild again.

Thanks again to everyone who has nominated a cartoon for my 25th anniversary. Don't hesitate to add more. I feel like we have a pretty good idea of what some of the favorites are but it's good to hear your feedback. You nominated a few I had forgotten about. So keep 'em coming.

• August 17, 2007

Ze slaugh-terre vill star-te ze neks tame ze Rekkies tre tu cuncare ze Freeurs.

Ye zee?

Okee-doe-kee?

Gut.

Posted by Tom on July 30, 2007 02:56 PM

To translate:

The slaughter will start the next time the Rockies try to conquer the Friars.

You see?

Okee-doe-kee?

Good.

I always keep my word.

This team is done. Their bullpen is taxed. The Rockies season has become a M*A*S*H rerun. They went a long time without having any long term injuries, but when you don't have any for long stretches, then that just means you're due for many at the same time. The odds are stacked against you.

One other comment....

I was listening to scores on the radio this morning and they gave the score of the Giants game. Then something disturbing happened. The guy giving the scores then says..."Barry Bonds did not play in the game."

What?

Aren't we past this deal where we have to be told that Barry is playing or isn't playing? He's got his "record" now, so can we please no longer be bothered with being told if he's in the game.
    We don't get told that Eric Byrnes isn't in the lineup for the Diamondbacks or Chipper Jones took a day off, so why is it necessary to say Bonds isn't playing?
    Enough already.

• August 17, 2007

Baffled writes:

After the game:

"A nine-run inning was the farthest thing from my mind," Hurdle said.

Oh boy. Great, wonderful wisdom from the Soul-Patch - Bouncy-Ball-Gum-Chewing Skipper of the Rockies.

The farthest thing from your mind, Clint?

Hurdle said the other day that he wasn't going to try and figure out the 8-0 drubbing a the hands of the Padres.

Message to Clint: It's your JOB to figure out those kinds of things. It's your JOB to handle your team effectively. It's not your job to say stupid stuff that confuses people as to how you became qualified to lead a Major League team.

• August 17, 2007

Chris from Littleton writes:

I think the Rockies injuries will be too much to overcome, but at least they are fun to watch this year. Setbacks like the San Diego series are frustrating, but a year ago we would simply be happy to have avoided the sweep. This year we HOPE to win the series, next year maybe we'll EXPECT to win the series.

This team is getting better, there's no doubt about it. Did anyone expect them to go from last year's sub-mediocre performance to the playoffs? Especially with no earth-shattering off-season moves? I didn't. But the steady progress of this season is what they were shooting for and that's a good sign.

I haven't given up hope for this year, but the future keeps looking brighter. Go Rocks!

• August 17, 2007

Jacob writes:

Before we bury them for good, let's remember that they have 7 games at home against the pirates and nationals and will get aaron cook back for a 4 game series at san fransisco, that's 3 of the worst teams in baseball folks, all in a row, even with the depleted pitching staff, they still should win 8 of those 10. it also helps that atlanta, san diego, and philly all have very difficult schedules during that 10 game stretch that the rockies have. if the rox don't win at least 7 of those 10 games, then we can officially anoint them as dead, but they're 3 games out of a playoff spot in mid-august, it's hardly time enough to waive the white flag

• August 17, 2007

Trevor writes:

The "Cubicles For Office Rivalries" Is the best ever. I have had 3 jobs since that first came out and it is still on my cube Wall!!! I wish you could sell the origional!! Go Yankees! :)

• August 17, 2007

Interesting points Jacob, but lets not forget that the Rockies have a long, long history of getting torched by teams that they have been expected to beat.

The Nationals come to mind. Back in July, the Rockies lost 3 of 4 to that same "worst team."

The season is over. Getting Cook back won't help that. And you say that the Rockies are out of the playoff picture by 3 games...fine. They also have a good number of teams trying to get there who are far better squads that the Rockies are. And another problem is that the Rockies are managed by none other than Clint Hurdle.

That is not a good thing.

• August 17, 2007

Jacob writes:

Good point, let's just analyze who they're competing against though. The phillies are a poor man's rockies. they have a much worse rotation, a very shaky bullpen, and a very good lineup (although they do not have chase utley in that lineup). the braves have a very shaky rotation after hudson and smoltz (the latter of the two has serious back issues and cannot pitch more than 6 innings per game), they have one of the worst bullpens in baseball and an extremely potent lineup. san diego, other than last night, cannot hit my grandmother and their bullpen all of a sudden is very shaky ahead of trevor hoffman. the 3 managers the rockies are competing against: charlie manuel who i think is managing his 37th team, bud black, a rookie manager, and one of the best ever in bobby cox, but needless to say, it's not like the rockies have to beat out the 1927 yankees to win this thing, .500 on the road and .600 at home should win it for them, do i think they will do it? probably not. but can they? hell yes

• August 17, 2007

Bottle that optimism and see if you can sell it to the folks in this town.

Good luck.

• August 17, 2007

Jacob writes:

lol, it's not optimism tom, it's realism, the phillies, braves, padres, and rockies are really not all that good, it's just going to come down to whomever plays best down the stretch, and if you actually read what i wrote, you would see that i didn't expect the rockies to take the wildcard

• August 18, 2007

"500 on the road and .600 at home should win it for them, do i think they will do it? probably not. but can they? hell yes."

You clearly state "Hell Yes" as your answer to "Can they?"

That is optimism. I am simply telling you that it's completely foolish to be optimistic about the Rockies at any time. Last night should finally prove my point.

5 run innings, 9 run innings by the opposition....

So what if Atkins hits a late dinger to make it "close". It's over by that time.

The Padres are a better team, the Phillies are a better team, the Nationals are a better team....hell the Devil Rays are a better team. Guess why? Because they don't have the Monforts as owners or Clint Hurdle as their manager. They also don't have Todd Helton as the franchise albatross.

Hope everyone enjoyed this season, because there's another long rebuild on the horizon. Holliday will command a HUGE salary. Tulowitski will command a HUGE salary. These guys are as good as gone when their agents present Charlie and Dick with their demands.

The bullpen needs another complete overhaul. The team needs 3 new starting pitchers. The pinch hitters here are beyond awful. Hawpe only has the stats he has because of playing half his games at Coors. He's a liability in Right Field, and he constantly strikes out with runners on base, as he did again last night.

A big freaking mess.

• August 18, 2007

Charlie writes:

Great analysis Jacob, you are right too. The Rockies have a realistic shot of winning the wild card. I would suggest that their results will depend a lot on the arms of talented rookies Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales.

Also, don't respond to Tom. The boy is lonely, bored and will only post a comment to get a rise out of someone. He gets off on that, and I skip over his posts as soon as I see that name.

• August 20, 2007

As I keep repeating, and the Rockies keep proving....
    They have no shot at the postseason, period.
    If anyone really thinks so, they are quite disillusioned.
    Two pictures from yesterday's game said it all.

1. Clint Hurdle in the Rockies dugout after the Dodgers 2 run single in the bottom of the 8th. He appeared to be fuming and mumbling something to himself . I can only guess that it was something along the lines of "What the hell??? AGAIN??? They blew it AGAIN??? Arrraaaagggh!!!!"

Yes Clint. Again. And again. And again.

2. Todd Helton sitting in the dugout after the Dodgers closer absolutely BLEW AWAY the last three Rockies hitters. Todd was mumbling too, with his head down. I can only think he was saying something to the effect of "Oh God...Oh God....my contract is just killing this team. What the hell do i have to do to get off this team of annual losers? How did the Boston trade fall through? Why did I take all those steroids a few years ago and inflate my numbers so much that once I stopped taking them, my contract would never match my production, and I would be an albatross on this team."

Yep....It was a beautiful sight to see. Yep...a BEAUTIFUL sight. I wonder if the Monforts were watching. Charlie? Dick?

• September 20, 2007

Stace writes:

Tom,

Have you EVER said anything positive about the Rockies? ...EVER!?!

Look, I don't think they have a realistic shot at making the post season. They have to win out and hope and pray the teams in front of them play .500 or implode. Not likely.

Your comments come off with the same exuberance and fervor as someone who claims that after Helton's walk off win and the see-saw win the next night, "We're going to win the World Series!!!!" - ...except from the opposite point of view.

The only thing you see is your skewed opinion that the manager is an idiot and the owners are incompetent. That will likely never change - your opinion, that is. And honestly, I don't care to try.

So, my purpose here is to point out that Tom's opinion is just that - AN OPINION. Not any better or worse than mine, yours or your dog's.

Try making a reasonable assertion or observation some time. It makes for much better reading. To write your little diatribe on what you assume must have been going through Clint and Todd's head as you watch them physically react from your comfy Lay-Z-Boy is absurd. Unless, of course, it makes you feel better.

End of Line.