September 25, 2007 6:07 AM

Bonds Giant Exit

drew0929.gif

• September 25, 2007

Matt writes:

Hey Drew, when are you finally going to draw a cartoon the actually gives praise for the hard work that the Rockies players have done this year? I hate the Monforts as much as you do, but that still doesn't mean that you can't show the team a little love for the hard work being performed on the field this year. Do you even know how to draw a Rockies cartoon that doesn't criticize our team? I haven’t seen one during the course of the entire season. When they swept the Yanks I saw nothing. Now they are only 1 game of the wild card after winning 8 straight, still I see absolutely nothing! What do our boys have to do to get a little recognition? Based on the injuries to the pitching staff & penny-pinching mentality of the Monforts, you out of anyone should realize that this is an amazing feat that we are currently witnessing. Why not throw a little love their way to show that this city is behind them all the way!

• September 25, 2007

Brandon writes:

Ditto!

• September 25, 2007

Kurt writes:

Drew,

I have to agree with Matt, I have been waiting for couple of days now for a rockies cartoon. lets see some love for the players who are working their tail off, forget Bonds!

• September 25, 2007

Michael writes:

Seriously Drew, would it kill you to put something positive up at this crucial time, and show a little support? We are possibly looking at a Major League Postseason!! You're almost as bad as the jerks on TV!

• September 25, 2007

The Dude writes:

I would love to see a positive Rockies toon also.

• September 25, 2007

The Monforts writes:

Why should Drew bother with drawing a positive Rockies cartoon?
    We (my brother Dick and I) have no plans whatsoever to keep this team together. Newsflash: We are winning while fielding a team of overacheivers, and we're not paying diddly-squat to do so. We're perfectly content to get your paying fannies in the seats for a few years while you slobber all over yourselves thinking that this "winning" is going to be an every year affair. Simply, Dick and I could care less if the Rockies are winning or losing, as long as you continue to empty your wallets in our direction.
    Newsflash: We are never going to pay Matt Holliday what it will take to keep him in Colorado. When it comes time to pay Atkins, Tulowitski, Hawpe, etc. there is no way we will ante up. We're very content to continue to bring up minor leagers and sign the odd past-his-prime free agent. This season is an abberation. Do not be fooled. All we care about is getting all of you so -called "fans" in our stadium seats and having you fork over your hard-earned.
    If you think otherwise, you are very mistaken.

Sincerely,
    Charlie

• September 26, 2007

Andrew writes:

Drew, I respect you as a cartoonist as I told you personally at a journalism convention a few years ago at DU. But now you're pissing me off. I'm with everyone else.

This has been the best stretch of Rockies baseball ever, the best winning streak, the best record, best chance at the playoffs in 12 years. We can actually finish with the best record in the NL.

And yet you continuously focus on reproducing the vastly overcovered old news that is Barry Bonds. Two cartoons this month featured the Rockies - one negative one about not joining the bandwagon and one about a tight playoff race. There's plenty of material there. Perhaps your next cartoon should be of yourself eating crow.

• September 26, 2007

kman writes:

Yes, Bonds is in the past. I'm so happy to see his HR ball will have a huge asterix on it - but honestly, you need to focus on the Rockies or even the Broncos.

• September 26, 2007

kman writes:

• September 26, 2007

kman writes:

• September 26, 2007

Clint Hurdle writes:

Shhhh.....!!!

If Drew starts paying attention to the Rockies, I might be exposed as something resembling a major league manager, which of course, I am not. I'm just a fraud, as are a lot of my players and my owners and general manager. As Charlie has stated, we've taken you "fans" for a ride and we've enjoyed emptying your pockets and giving back false hope that this season is what you should expect ever again.
    Oops. My first baseman Todd "I can't hit it deep anymore, because I don't do the juice" just got picked off first base because he just can't pay attention to a line-out.
    Oh well. I'm just going to go write something in my little diary on the bench over there, get a new piece of gum, and play with my bouncy baseball.
    Just thought I might touch, er...base with you and let you know the deal.

• September 27, 2007

Mike writes:

A 'toon too far....

• September 27, 2007

stan writes:

Rockies on a 10 game winning streak and in the thick of a playoff berth, Bronco's a very pathetic 2-1 and here is Drew either gone into hiding or regurgitating yet another Barry Bond strip.

• September 27, 2007

Mike D writes:

Go read the intro to the Terrell Davis cartoon.

Drew is taking time off to deal with a family emergency. Give the guy a break.

• September 27, 2007

Christine writes:

Thanks for mentioning that, Mike D.
    I was actually going to say something about his "Mile High Salute" blog that talked of the family illness and the time off that he will be taking, but you beat me to it.
    With so much on his mind, at least he made the effort to put out a cartoon this week.
    So take a deep breath and calm down a bit.
    I hope all is going well for you and your family right now, Drew.
    You're in my thoughts and prayers.
    We're looking forward to your return!

• September 27, 2007

NotARockiesFan writes:

Okay.

This little run here has become absolutely absurd.

This Rockies team is NOT a good team. They are winning by sheer luck. And I'm guessing tha they might be getting a little bit of help via syringes. All this team does is hit home runs.
    They are also getting these wins against a Dodgers team that is playing extremely young players. The Padres series was a joke because the umpire essentially gave Colorado a game on a platter by tossing Bradley.
    Todd Helto, Matt Holliday, Garrett Atkins, Brad Hawpe, and Troy Tulowitski should be expecting a visit from some Federal Agents sometime soon once their names are given as part of this national steroid raid that just happened recently.
    Basically, the Rockies are a bunch of cheaters.
    They'll be exposed soon enough.
    If anyone thinks Matt Holliday has been getting balls chucked at his head on accident, they are dead wrong. Pitchers out there know Matt is juicing, and they are none too happy about it.
    Holliday is way bigger than he was a rookie, and it's OBVIOUS that it's not from lifting weights.

• September 27, 2007

Dodger Blue writes:

Drew Gooden is about as annoying an announcer as there is on the planet.

He absolutely SUCKS, and is the biggest homer there is in broadcasting.

Just call the damn game. The Dodgers may not make the postseason, but at least they have Vin Scully. See...Vin just calls the game, win or lose. He's fair, and gives each team the credit they deserve.

Drew, You have a lot to learn about the Rule # 1. There isn't supposed to be cheerleading in the broadcasting booth. Your job is to call the game with the same amount of excitement on BOTH sides. You are nothing but a HOMER announcer. And for GOD'S SAKE, STOP saying "Take a good look, you won't see it for long." Can you actually say anything else? God you are an annoying person. And Frazier....you are GRATING. Shut up for two seconds already and stop reliving your playing days every freaking two minutes.

• September 28, 2007

stan writes:

"Drew is taking time off to deal with a family emergency. Give the guy a break."
    This 'toon is dated Tuesday the 25th, my comment was the 27th. It was deserved.

• September 28, 2007

MJ writes:

You cannot win 11 games in a row on luck alone, it requires some talent. Heres to hoping they can sweep the D-Backs and make it into the playoffs.

• September 28, 2007

Michael writes:

NotARockiesFan - your comments are absurd. This is a great team that is winning as a team. To be such a cry baby and start whining "cheaters" because a team you do not like is winning is ridiculous. This team has not been winning on home runs alone. The pitching and fielding has been spectacular and awesome to watch.
    Why would you choose to be such an obnoxious windbag just because you are not a fan when a team like the Rockies that has never found success finally puts a nice little run together and makes late September baseball fun to watch.
    Take your unfounded conspiracy theory and put it… I tell you what, I am not going to finish that since this is a public forum and kids could be reading, but you can figure something out to do with it.
    This is a fun team to watch that is playing good, sound fundamental baseball and it is such a shame that you are such a poor sport about the whole thing.
    And DodgerBlue – Drew Gooden may be a homer, but most local announcers are. Since I am not in Colorado right now I have to watch the games on Satellite and hear all of the different announcers and all of the local announcers are homers. If you get a chance, listen to the Padre’s announcers and you’ll hear real homers. Vin Scully is truly a national announcer and calls a lot of nationally televised games. These other announcers are local announcers and usually homers. That’s just how it is. Listen to the home coverage in 90% of the teams in MLB and the announcers will be homers. Get over it – they are not national telecasts.

• September 28, 2007

Diamondback writes:

What a board.

Bunch of people fighting over who's the best among Dodger fans and Rockies fans, etc.

Well, My D-Backs are winning 3-1, and they have already roughed up the Rockies staff "ace."

And Brian Giles and the Padres, and the Phillies are going to just break hearts all over Colorado.

Man, it's great to have a GREAT young team that are not only winners, but that can claim to be decendants of a WORLD SERIES WINNING FRANCHISE, eh?

• September 28, 2007

Diamondback writes:

Have a nice Winter, Rockies fans.

Your team made a serious error in judgement by cutting trading Eric Byrnes.

A lucky run doesn't match up to fielding a quality team.

Goodnight.

• September 28, 2007

Charlie writes:

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know Rockies suck. Tell me about it, we only have serious contenders for the MVP, Rookie of the Year and statisticaly the best fielding team in the history of MLB, we also have the pitching staff with the lowest ERA since the All-Star break, one of the top batting averages in the league, oh and the best record in MLB since June 1. We also traded a career backup that is now hitting 20 points below 300 and would be sitting on the end of our bench behind Holliday, Hawpe, Taveras, Sullivan and Spilborghs who all own higher averages and are younger than E. Byrnes.

I'm going to be at the game on Sunday. I've been watching this core group play for three years and I'm not about to give up on them now. Go Rockies!!!

• September 29, 2007

Andrew writes:

NotARockiesFan and Diamondback,
    The Rockies ARE a quality team. At least they scored more runs than they gave up. If any team is lucky to have its record, it's the D-Backs. I wouldn't say scoring four runs off Francis is necessarily a rough-up job either....

Consider this, the Rockies will finish the season with these NL rankings:
    Offense: #1
    Defense: #1 (set record for all-time MLB best)
    Pitching: #8 (yet #1 since the all-star break)

I'm not sure a team has ever been that dominant in those stats, really. They ARE a great team. Watch out next year...

• September 29, 2007

Drew writes:

Just an FYI. My wife underwent successful surgery this week for a VERY serious condition. I drew these last few cartoons a week ago and have been nowhere near my drawing board this week. I'm not slighting the Rockies. I've just had more important things to tend to.

• September 29, 2007

Michael writes:

Drew,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and your family.
    As fun as it is to play, watch, discuss and debate about sports, there are definitely more important things in life. I am glad to hear that things have been successful.