September 5, 2007 6:00 AM

Rice-a-Rocket

drew0905.gif

The Broncos got some much needed help on the defensive line by signing Simeon Rice. The million dollar question is, of course, will it be enough? Can the Broncos win the AFC west? Can they advance in the playoffs? How will Cutler do? Let me know what you think about the upcoming 2007 season.

And be sure to toon in Friday, September 7 for the official 25th Anniversary celebration.

• September 5, 2007

PETE PETERS writes:

ANY CHANCE FOR A BOOK OFYOUR CARTOONS?

• September 5, 2007

Dave Perkins writes:

Best Drew Litton cartoon ever: September 1987 - Front Page, Full Color (first day of the NFL season) Rookie Brian Bosworth (who on several occaisions in the weeks leading up to his first NFL game had disrespected and generally trashed John Elway verbally), is pictured as a mean, nasty, ugly father-raper (appoligies to Arlo Guthrie), and reflected in Bosworth's mirrored, wrap-around sunglasses is the Biffster, with his thumbs in his ears and his tongue sticking out... thanks Drew!!

BTW, on the first play of the game, that day, Billy Bryan, the Donks center, ran about 40 yards out of his way to administer a welcome to the nfl shot on the Boz (and the crowd went wild... - appologies to Bill Murray)

• September 5, 2007

Simeon Rice was released from Tampa for a reason.

Maybe he'll be the second coming of John Lynch (the Broncos caught lightning in a bottle with him as far as Lynch being able to resume an NFL career. Lynch also took a huge risk by continuing to play in the NFL. His story could have ended up far different in the form of him being paralyzed or something. He was at risk, and I think it was incredibly stupid for him to continue to play. He had/has a family and he should have been thinking of them first. He wasn't. Now....has it worked out? I guess. But at extreme risk.

Now...about Rice. This is the second serving of "Rice" the Broncos have brought in here. The first serving was short and sweet. This one will likely pan out quite the same. I don't see Rice as a difference maker simply for this reason -
    Putting a band-aid on a gaping wound won't stop the bleeding. The Broncos defense is bleeding badly. This, to me, is just Mike Shanahan's way of trying to get reporters off his back.

6-10 is still the prediction. Rookie QB, one decent receiver, no pass rush, and suspect defense overall.

That's my take.
    Cheers.

• September 5, 2007

El Optomistic writes:

Now the Broncos have signed arguably the best d-lineman to play in the league in the past 10 years, I think Denver can expect a 14-2 or 13-3 season. But I still don't think they have the ponies to get past the Colts in the playoffs. Another year without a ring.

• September 5, 2007

Thrawn writes:

I love this move. It adds much needed veteran leadership on the defensive line that was lacking since the Departure of Trevor Pryce. (Say what you want about him, but the D-Line clearly missed his presence.

Yeah, Rice was released for a reason, he was going to cost the Bucs a substantial amount of cash. I really think the release was more about money than anything else. I could be wrong, but I think he can only help our defensive line.

• September 5, 2007

The main problem I see with Rice is that he might turn out to be more of a liability than the Broncos think he will be. If some one pops hima good one on that bad shoulder, he could be done for good very quickly. As a defensive player, the shoulders are used a lot. And the more serious the initial injury, the weaker a shoulder gets over time and use, even with surgery performed.
    Hey, he could get 15 sacks.
    He could also be done for the season or his career on his first play.
    Is the risk worth the possible reward?
    I just would not have done this deal, even with the pay cut that Rice took. Simply....he had to take the cut because no one else wanted to sign him. That should have told Shanny something.

• September 5, 2007

Bronc in C Springs writes:

Hey, bold move by the Broncos. They signed him at a considerable discount. THere is a chance for him to make more through incentive based pay.....and if he does that then well worth it. I mean, 2 or 3 mil in the NFL for a player with Rice's resume is a deal.

Now the question is (as stated previously) is that shoulder going to hold up?? I had college teamates have some pretty serious Shoulder surgery only to be at it and "almost" 100% the following season (with no problems during it). With that being said, they were still 21/22 years old. Lets just hope Rice's shoulder doesn't give him any fits. I feel it is a great move by the Broncos though.......they really aren't out too much if it doesn't work out and if it does work out and Rice gains his previous from.....well, it'll be fun watching him.

• September 5, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Tom,

Sure it is a risk, and as you point out it still could work out like Lynch did.

Let me put it this way then, how could we end up with worse than what we have been seeing?

• September 6, 2007

Squid writes:

On a radio program a few years back, Rice bashed his former team mate Pat Tillman for going into the service. I don't recall the exact quote, but I will never forget how he took down Pat. Questionable character? Yes. Does he belong in a Bronco uniform? No.

• September 6, 2007

xoomy447@yahoo.com writes:

hey squid do you still think Pat Tillman did the right thing? Just exactly what cause did he give his life for? Then to have the government cover it up? I would say that Simeon Rice was Correct.

• September 6, 2007

Mike D writes:

Re: The Tillman quote

To me, to say he 'bashed' Tillman and shows he has questionable character is a little strong. Here's a news piece on the quote.

For instance, in the book Rice details the circumstances surrounding his comments that the late Pat Tillman, a former teammate of Rice’s in Arizona, may have seen “too many Rambo movies” and enlisted in the Army after 9/11 because he wasn’t a very good football player. The comments, made on Jim Rome’s radio show, were widely criticized at the time and especially following Tillman’s death. But for Rice, he never believed he had said anything disparaging because he didn’t have any problem with Tillman’s decision. He wasn’t trying to criticize or make fun of Tillman.

“Back then when they asked me, Pat was alive,” Rice says. “Pat was a teammate of mine. When I went into Jim Rome’s studios, he was like, ‘Why would somebody join the military?’ And I was like, ‘I don’t know. Rambo movies?’ I was joking. You see what I’m saying. Now it’s like, ‘Simeon, can’t you take that back?’ It’s the truth. I can’t even take that back because it wasn’t meant to be malicious. I was just joking. Then the interview goes (on the air), and it was funny how people reacted.

• September 6, 2007

Michael writes:

I said before that I would predict 11-5 and a wild-card spot.
    I am tempted to revise that prediction to 12-4 or 13-3 and a division championship, but maybe that is just the excitement of a new season welling up in me. Either way it is going to be a great season and I cannot wait!!!
    As for the playoffs, I am going to hold off any predictions for now. I am not convinced that this team can put it all together in January to get past the Patriots and Colts, but if the Broncos peak at the right time they may just have enough pieces to get the job done.
    I love this time of year!
    GO BRONCOS!!!

• September 6, 2007

As long as Travis Henry restrains himself from fornicating with a Broncos cheerleader or ABC/ESPN sideline reporter during the game, he might actually prove to be a worthwhile aquisition, eh?