September 1, 2007 6:00 AM

Rocky Mountain Showdown

drew0901.gif

There's nothing quite like the Rocky Mountain Showdown. It's a terrific way to kickoff the football season. I must admit I Iong for the days when the two teams involved were a little better than they are right now but, trust me, I'll be glued to the game with my coffee and Captain Crunch like everyone else. my wife, Marcia, after all, is a Buff grad.

I'm interested to see how Cody Hawkins does. I expect him to be very effective, perhaps the best QB the Buffs have had in sometime. I won't make a pick because by the time the game ends some of you will just be waking up and getting to your computers. Let's hope next year for a decent starting time for this rivalry.

• September 2, 2007

Brian writes:

That was an outstanding game.

I am a Texas A&M fan so I didn't care who won however, the spirit and rivalry was very much alive and it was an awesome game.

• September 2, 2007

chris writes:

Are you crazy? Every year, the game is as exciting as a rivalry game can possibly promise. I was amazed that you didn't do more cartoons in the build up. You must not be a real college football fan, or one of the CU fair weather fans that stop watching just because they have a bad season.

• September 2, 2007

chris writes:

• September 2, 2007

chris writes:

You need to do an apology cartoon to the true college football fans of Colorado. This one is a discrace. You obviously haven't been watching the games the last decade.

• September 2, 2007

AC writes:

Now that my prediction came true, can we get that CU wins over csu cartoon? (Or, flight of the Hawk.)

• September 2, 2007

Gregg writes:

CU got bailed out on that 4th down play. Bunch of homer refs.
    The most exciting thing that happened during the game was that a bunch of local idiots got arrested for being drunk. And if everyone was paying close attention, it was mostly CU fans that were the drunk idiots. Says alot about the university. Let's see, the escort scandal, the Churchill thing, the meal program thing, the kids dying at frat parties, etc, etc...
    CU sucks. Period.
    One win....big freaking deal. It was gift wrapped by zebras.

• September 2, 2007

Brian writes:

GUys I don't think Drew insulted CU or CSU's rivalry in his comments. I will admit that the cartoon COULD give that impression but if you read the write-up I think he sounds more like a typical CU fan longing for the days of the early 90's when CU was a true powerhouse.

• September 2, 2007

Jay writes:

CU will never be a powerhouse again.

Simple enough.

• September 2, 2007

Hoppman writes:

Once again csu fans are bitter, and before you make remarks about kids dying at frat parties, you may want to remember that one died at csu also. The same meal program is now within the rules, it just wasn't then.

One report had most of the people arrested as csu fans, not CU fans. I think the number I heard was 6 csu fans, 2 CU fans and 6 others. I saw the PI penalty on dvr and it was legit, csu player was grabbing and clutching at the CU player, 'nuff said.

Maybe you csu fans should stop running your mouths and just support your team. Nobody hears a whole lot about csu because frankly, NOBODY cares about csu. They get as much press as UNC, Mesa State, Metro etc. Maybe csu fans should keep their mouths shut and feel lucky that you are rarely in the news.

• September 3, 2007

Mike writes:

Drew, I love your cartoons. I now live in Atlanta and nothing, and I mean NOTHING is bigger than college football out here. This is better than the rivalries out here, though they get better coverage being SEC and ACC teams. As a CSU grad I never miss the game and have languished over the loss. But you know what, give the Buffs props, they held in and were able to win, congrats, and a nice game to the new Hawkins QB. Go Rammies!!

• September 5, 2007

jahbrahakala writes:

I've watched that 4th down Pass Interference call several times now and it's pretty obvious the DB is pulling on Patrick Williams shirt before the Ball has arrived.

I guess if you are a CSU fan, in this case, it is O.K. to interfere. The Refs just shouldn't acknowledge it because you'll whine....whaaaaaaaah! Bhaaaaaaaaa!!!!