October 30, 2007 5:00 AM

Broncos:Trick or Treat?

DREW1030.gif

It was a moment you expect from a legend. Overtime. Go long. And when you are Brett Favre that means REALLY long. It'll be something we still talk about years from now kind of like the Rockies run. It was one of those moments that reminds us all just how great a moment in sports can be. So, like I blogged here last night, savor it. It was something special even if it did come at the Broncos expense.

I think I've shared before that I don't believe there is a cartoonist in the country that draws under the deadlines I do at times. I drew late and "live" all the way through the NLCS and the World Series, turning the drawings in as early as 10:10 p.m. which was about the time of the last pitch. This Favre cartoon was done in 30 minutes because that's all the time I had to capture the turn from Elam's field goal in regulation to Favre's amazing touchdown pass in overtime while still meeting my 10:15 deadline. The rendering is a little rougher than I like but I think the timeliness out weighs any self-conscious feelings I might have about the quality of the drawing. I learned long ago it's the idea that counts most anyway.

Now some of you may be asking, including some of my editors, if that's all it takes for him to do a cartoon then what does he do, say, for the other 7 and a half hours a day. Fair question. If I have 8 hours to do one, then, well, it usually takes me 8 hours to do one. Strange how that works. I can tell you I don't spend my afternoons on the golf course.
And if you don't believe me just ask anyone that I've hit with an errant tee shot. I assure you there are many.

MJ writes:

Good Grief that was a quick overtime. Denver should have won it on those last couple of plays. But I am glad to see Favre winning some games. Just hate to see it at the expense of the Broncos.

Michael writes:

Drew,
    Regardless of how little or how much time it takes you to draw you are still the best sports cartoonist going. I wish we had someone here in Baton Rouge to draw like you for our beloved Tigers. And can you imagine what you could have done over the years with the Saints?

Tom Weber writes:

Drew,
    I have an idea for a Win, Lose & Drew...
    two picture in one...the 1st showing the Rockies with big chests and bats titled "Before World Series, Unbeatable Rockies"...2nd picture showing a big pile of Rockies bodies titled "After World Series, Rock Pile". I am a huge Rockies fan and this hurts to write this!!!

Kurt writes:

Good Play Dre, most overated corner ever, hasn't done anythiong this year!

Maybe he should show up before he talks anymore.

Better get your S#%$ together defense, and lets score a TD when we get to the five instead of fumbling or screwing up.

what a let down last night!

Matthew writes:

Are there any Mike "Out-Of-His-Master-Mind" Shanahan toons forthcoming?
    I think Shanny 's time in Denver is coming to an end sooner than later.
    Tha magic is obviously fading if not gone altogether, though much of this is on the players.
    When was the last time Denver gave up two scoring passes of 70+ yards in the same game? Has it ever happened before?
    What an embarrassing 24 hour period for Denver sports teams, and both embarrassments on the national stage. Wow.

Lou writes:

How about just trying to win the game in regulation instead of playing for the FG and a coin flip. 50 seconds left 13 yds out and on 2 of the three plays we run....

Great toon. Favre is one of the great of the game.

Gordo writes:

That was the Broncos game to lose. First the fumble at the goal line. Then not being able to punch it in on that last drive and having to settle for a field goal to send it to overtime.

Matt writes:

I dont care if it takes you 5 minutes a day, your cartoons are worth every penny.... When it comes to the game, I knew Denver was going to try the QB Draw, I just thought it would be on the first play of the two at the end that we got stuffed. I figured draw, then playaction pass to the right side to the full back or tight end. Oh well. Cutler did at least get them in position without several weapons.

Jason writes:

Maybe it's just me, but I sense some problems brewing between Shanahan and Cutler.
    I highly doubt that Cutler wants to run a draw play near the goal line when he knows he could make a decent read and do something that the defense won't sniff out.
    I believe jay has been quoted as saying things along the lines of "I just run what they tell me, I don't call the plays."
    What this means is that Mike Shanahan has him on a short leash. This also means that Shanahan is mostly to blame. Cutler, of course, cannot toss interceptions or fumble the way he has.
    This team will be extremely fortunate to be better than 6-10 or 7-9. I don't see them being a .500 squad though.

A Sense of Betrayal writes:

"I also don't see Shanahan being the coach in Denver very much longer. He's turned into Joe Gibbs, a coach with a storied past, but no present and no future in the NFL."

Just as long as Shanny doesn't decide to try his hand at NASCAR. My Sundays are overbooked snarling at Gibbs Racing, Roush-Fenway (my father *was* a Mark Martin fan, but we *are* Yanks fans) and bewailing the fact that Little E will be driving for Team Hendrick next year. I just don't have any energy left by the time the checkers wave to hiss at anyone else.

So, Shanny, stay off the track, hm?

Hey, GO AVS!

Anonymous writes:

With the Rockies in the World Series and the Nuggets starting on Holloween it's very easy to ignore the Bronco's this year.

Matthew writes:

The question is, would Pat Bowlen actually ever fire Shanahan, or would a move to permanent GM/VP be more likely?
    I'm not sure Shanahan as just a GM is actually an improvement at this point. He's already bombed out by a lot of recent drafts and signings. See Maurice Clarett, Simeon Rice, Travis Henry, etc.

MJ writes:

I think Shanahan might be like Bobby Bowden at Florida State or Joe Paterno at Penn State. As long as they win a few games a year and the occasional year where they exceed expectations they will always have a job with their respective employers.

Mark writes:

Who ever called Bly a " lock down " corner was high! He couldn't lock down Rosie O' Donnell ! The Broncos defense went from being called the " Orange Crush " to " Clueless in Denver ". It may be good for the Broncos to go 4- 12 and get a high draft pick.

Catfish Thomas writes:

Yep...it's the idea that count more than the finish on the drawing...this one's a gem! Go fish.

• October 31, 2007

josh writes:

mark and kurt,
    did either of you happen to see champ get beat even worse on the same exact play in the first quarter? both of our "shut down" corners got smoked on the same play by a rookie receiver.

• October 31, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Don't bet on Shanahan leaving anytime soon.

While I think about it, even if they do get rid fof Shanahan... then go out and get who exactly? Who is available right now, that is willing to coach, and would be good for a long time.

There might not be someone out there that is better right now. Shanahan is not the best coach in the league, but by far not the worst.

At least someone is willing to admit that we are in a rebuilding year this year. They are completely redesigning the defensive scheme, and the offense has been overhauled for the most part while breaking in a new quarterback. (As if the growing pains weren't bad enough with Griese.) I'm not totally sold on Cutler just yet.

• October 31, 2007

dave writes:

When you talk a lot like some of the broncos you have to back it up, (guess wha) nope. Favre is the best