October 11, 2007 6:00 AM

Rockies and rollin'

DREW1011.gif

The Rockies face off tonight in Arizona on the road to the World Series. Can they beat the D-Backs? I think they can. Now You tell me. Leave your predictions in the comments box with a few reasons why.

Silencer writes:

For all you true Rockies fans (Not the 95% of you who just learned that Colorado had a Baseball team 2 weeks ago), I hope that your team gets swept. Not because i dont like them, but it will just promote what your horrible Front Office and Owners have been doing to your team for 10 years. Low Payroll, Trade all the good Prospects, and putting a sub-standard product on the field.

They are seeing this and are saying "Hey, one playoff appearnece every 10 years and we are good to still make money not matter how much we pi$$ off the REAL fan base, the bandwagoner's will make all our sins forgiven"

On a side note Good luck to Todd Helton, he has always deserved better, and for the first (and probably only time) he has a chance.

Dave writes:

I have been a Rockies fan from the beginning. I have to admit though that I have'nt given them much thought the past few years. If it caught my eye I would occasionaly read a box score. I am now classified as a "band wagon jumper" and deservedly so. The band wagon filled up fast and most have "always" been Rockies fans. They are just to ashamed to admit it. Go Rocks...

Dave writes:

Jack writes:

Drew,

It is so good to hear you are back and that Mrs. Drew is healing. We have been thinking and rooting for you both every day.

Rockies in six.

Jack

dave in bayfield writes:

Gee Silencer...I guess the bandwagon jumpers get a break over us true Rockies' fans, who subscribe to MLB radio just to be sure we can hear the game out in our remote "wilderness" areas of Colorado. (Please note that the team name has Colorado in it...not just a city. Same for Arizona.)

Whatever happens (I very much doubt a sweep), the Rockies have given baseball fans everywhere a reason to truly enjoy "the game" as it was meant to be played. Thanks Rox!

And if it comes to an end in the NLCS, it has been a wonderful ride. Colorado fans will definitely be pushing Rox management to retain the nucleus that has been built. I don't think management wants to start over again.

Jeremy writes:

Rockies in 5.
    Reasons: Rox have a better bullpen than Arizona. Rox have better hitting than Arizona (.280 average). Rox have better defense than Arizona (1st in the league). Rox won the season series 10-8 (Forget all this "Arizona had already clenched the pennant" crap. The Rox had 10 wins against AZ, and only 2 came after the pennant was clinched.). In this series 3 out of the first 5 games are played at Coors - advantage Rox. Finally, despite what people say about the Monforts' spending, Rox have a higher payroll than Arizona -$54 M to $52 M.

Distant Fan writes:

Good luck Rockies from way up here in Coeur D'Alene Idaho.

I have my plastic enclosed inaugural Rockies 1993 baseball right here on my desk.

go get em

Chris writes:

Rockies in a sweep!

It is so unbelievable that the Rockies (and not the Broncos) are what I am watching in October!

I am a Colorado native in Michigan purgatory and it warms my heart to see a full and electric Coors Field crowd on the national stage! Go Rox!

azbroncofan writes:

Drew welcome back. Best wishes on wifes recovery.
    D-back's in 7.

Anonymous writes:

Where's Tom?

J.R. writes:

Rockies in 6. I don't think they are going to b e able to pull it off in 5 because they will have to face Webb in game 5.

Mark writes:

Rockies in 6.

Gordo writes:

I just hope the Rockies can keep it up. They have been on a great streak lately. Winning 15 out 16 games (or something like that) is tough. If so good for the Rockies and I will be cheering for them to win (Cause my O's can't win to save their life).

Gary writes:

Rockies in six games the reasons are:

MOMENTUM - unbelievable streak.

DEFENSE
    POWER
    RELIEF PITCHING

I am a long suffering season ticket holder from Pueblo. All those trips up I-25 through the years are going to be paid off with a WORLD SERIES VICTORY OVER THE DEAD SOX.

Best wishes Drew to you and your wife and her speedy recovery. Are thoughts are with you

Gary T.

Kurt writes:

Where you at Tom?

July 13th:After the All star game Tom wrote:

"Ahhhhhh.....

Back to the season. I do hope the Rockies got their rest. They're going to need it.

Time for the classic summer swoon. Now that they will finally start playing teams from the West again, they are in for a load of trouble. Factor in that they no longer have a closer, and that their bullpen has been entirely unreliable, and that Clint Hurdle keeps saying the most idiotic things such as his quote that had something to do with the Rockies not knowing if they should break through the front window or go around and use the door or something stipid like that, and you have the makings of a very bad situation.
    Matt Holliday's bat is due to take a holiday soon enough. He is due for a prolonged slump. Every player has one every season, and his will likely come at the wrong time for the Rockies. Helton is finished as far as being "the guy." He doesn't scare anyone anymore.
    The ERA is the worst. Enough said about that.

In otherwords Rockies fans, don't think .500 at the break is a reason to be hopeful.

Cheers".

I think its about time for Tom to come out of that hole he's been hiding in for the past month and give credit where credit is due! You were dead wrong Tom!

Anyways, got gettem tonight Rocks, were all cheering for ya!

Sure is nice to see some new stuff from Drew, great toon today, thanks.

Charlie writes:

Welcome back Drew, we all missed you.

Predictions...

Rockies in 6, Coors Field sells out every game, Red Sox and Indian fans start jumping on this site to bash us when they realize who they're playing in the World Series. Just like the Padres, Dodgers, Phillies, and Arizona fans have done. But like all those previous fans, they will be silenced by our winning.

Steven writes:

Rockies in seven. I think it will be close, but ultimately the Rockies' nasty line up will beat down the solid bullpen of the D-backs.

Danielle writes:

I'm cheering for my home team from the east coast. GO ROCKIES!!!

Jay writes:

Enough people here gave Tom so much crap, that maybe he really did follow through with his statement of cutting loose.
    People tend to know when they are finally not wanted. And judging from Kurt's comment, I would say that maybe Tom figured "Why bother?".
    I assume Kurt only wants Tom to return so that he can "rub it in", right? Boy, what a board if that's the case.
    I don't even post here but lightly, and even I can tell that Tom isn't some board troll, but rather a person who just likes to keep things entertaining. Apparently, Kurt just wants to justify the Rockies being where they are, even though a month ago, not a soul would have wagered 5 cents that the Rockies would even have a sniff at a playoff spot.
    So, the question for Kurt is this. How much would you be shouting if the Rockies had gone 1-14 down the stretch, instead of 14-1? Would you be calling anyone out? I really don't think so.
    Kurt - What will you have to say next season if the Rocks revert back to their old ways and win about 70 games? Will you still be shouting?
    I am on the edge of my seat awaiting your answer, as are many who visit this blog.
    Try giving folks a break here and there.

Bronc in C-Springs writes:

Interesting fact heard on ESPN Radio in regards to all of you who think every Rockies fan is just a "bandwagoner":

"From 1995-2000, MORE fans saw the Rockies play at Coors Field than New Yorkers saw the Yankees and Mets COMBINED."

Yeah, I couldn't believe it at first as well. Oh, and MORE fans have attended Rockies games over the last 12 years than any other MLB team.

With that being said, I do think the last 3-5 years have seen a large drop-off (before the playoff run). I can understand for some people how difficult it is to sit through 9 innings when your team is once again in last place and playing poor B-ball. It's not as if fans are jumping on the "bandwagon" without ever being there though.

Kurt writes:

Sorry Jay,

What a schmuck I am, for calling out the guy who bashed my team all year long for no reason, or to be entertaining.

Your right Jay, i wouldn't be shouting if the Rockies had gone 1-14, but they didn't. I would probably be optomistic and say, they'll get em next year.

As for next year if the rockies do go and win 70+ games, then I will still cheer and root for this team like I have ever year since they became an organization. Were you there when Eric Young hit the opening day homerun? I was!

I have also stated on this blog, that I too find Tom's statements entertaining, but I think its weak that he talks all that he does and then has nothing to say when the rockies do prove themselves.

I'll try to give you and the rest of the bloggers a break, since I came down so hard on Tom. What an A@% I am! Sorry everyone!

All I care about is that my team keeps wining, go rocks!

James writes:

Has anyone stopped to think that Tom is -

A) Out of town.
    B)Not somewhere he can get online.
    C)Got tired of us.
    D)Doesn't care.
    E)All of the above.

?

Thrawn writes:

I don't think I have seen Tom since some loser posted racial slurs under his name.

It was obvious that it was not him and I think he was fine with what he got from most of us in here. Obviously he meant it when he said he wasn't so sure he wanted to bother with this place if people were going to pull things like that in here.

Who could blame him?

He may very well have followed through on what he said he was going to do.

Andrew writes:

Rockies in five. Not sure they can reel off four straight, but they are clearly hotter and more superior than Arizona. A win against Webb in Game 1 helps dramatically. Jimenez will own Davis in game two. I think we lose game 3 with Hernandez on the hill (franchise-wide struggles with him) but Morales beats Owings and Francis cuts off the head of the D-Backs and Webb in game five at home IN FRONT OF THE HOME CROWD

Charlie writes:

Yay Rocks!!! One down and three to go!

Way to go Kurt, don't back down. There are a lot of Rockies fans that are tired of being pushed around. It wasn't a big deal when we sucked, but now that we're three games from the World Series we shouldn't have to listen to that crap anymore. The Rockies are a good team, and people in this region enjoy watching them. I watched Cubs games with my grandfather as a kid until 1993 and ever since I saw Dante Bichette hit an opposite field homerun in Shea Stadium I've been a fan. There are a lot of us out there (42 million visited Mile High/Coors Field since 1993) and we are going to support our team and defend them against the haters out there.

So don't back down Kurt, because Tom did call our team a bunch of losers and they aren't. They're three games from playing in the World Freakin' Series!!!

• October 12, 2007

Ben Lilly writes:

When Tom (and a few others on this blog) referred to the rockies as not too good a team, they were hovering around .500.
    So, you're actually incorrect by saying that Tom called them losers. He referred to them as not being very good, which they were not. They were merely a .500 team at that point. That wasn't anything to be giddy about.
    Now suddenly everyone is upset that Tom (and some others) won't "give the Rockies the credit they deserve. The team is having it's best run in it's history, sure. But you know what? They haven't done it without help. If the Padres don't implode down the stretch (no one saw that coming either), and the Diamondbacks don't take it easy the last 2 games of the season, and a few other teams don't have key injury problems, and umpires don't make strange and wonderous calls that decide ball games, then this little run is very posssibly an afterthought while the city of Denver locks onto hockey and football.

• October 12, 2007

Dayle writes:

Ben, are you following other Colorado sports?

The Broncos are imploding. (41-3 loss to the CHARGERS?)

The Avs aren't exciting until after the All-Star break. (Squeak by a win one night. get shutout the next.)

As far as I'm concerned, there aren't any other major sports teams in Colorado. Even the members of my family with season tickets to the Broncos agree.

• October 12, 2007

chizzie writes:

Drew i couldnt stop laughing when I saw this cartoon. wtg....GO ROCKIES!!!!!

• October 13, 2007

rx writes:

Silencer,

Trade all the good prospects??? We still have Holliday, Atkins, Hawpe, Tulowitzki, Jimenez, Francis, Morales, and Corpas after trading all of the "good" ones? I shudder to think what this team would be like if they would've kept all the "good" ones.

• October 13, 2007

Michael writes:

"even though a month ago, not a soul would have wagered 5 cents that the Rockies would even have a sniff at a playoff spot." – Jay, please see my posts in mid-July. Even then I said they were within “striking distance of a dream.” I admit that I thought that it was a long shot, but all season this Rockies team has kept themselves within reach. In the beginning it was a far reach, but even in mid-July I thought they had a shot.