October 28, 2007 11:34 PM

Rockies dreams derail

drew1029.gif

The Rockies Dream season comes to an end almost as quickly as it began. The Sox sweep and the entire amazing autumn run of the Rox is over. Still it's best to savor the memories before picking the whole thing apart to try and figure out what went wrong, or right for that matter. So savor we will...until, let's say, tomorrow.

• October 28, 2007

Mike writes:

Congratulations to the Rox for an amazing season! We are proud of your hard work and the long journey you made.

Here is to seeing the Rockies win the 2008 World Series!

Drew, thank you for the cartoons capturing the emotional highs and lows over the last 60 days!

WorkingClassHero writes:

Guess my work is done here.

That was really a lot of fun.

Goodbye all.

Steven writes:

Hey, I was just happy to see the Rox get over .500, any playoff time is just one heck of a bonus...thanks for the 'toons Drew.

Dwayne writes:

Good job Rox, thanks for a fun year.

If they had to lose to anyone atleast it wasn't the Yankees.

Next year you'll know what to do when you get there!

Congrats to the Sox

Brian writes:

This is the best October this Rockies fan has ever experienced.

There is nothing to pick apart. The Red Sox got it done and the Rockies didn't in the series but man, what an amazing run the Rockies had.

Kurt writes:

Congrats to the Sox, boston played outstanding.

None the less, thank you rockies for the best season ever! Can't wait for next year.

Bronc in C-Springs writes:

THANKS ROCKIES!!!!! And thank you once again Drew.....your cartoons continually speak a thousand words.

Goodbye WCH (tear). :(

Gordo writes:

Congrats to the Sox for winning the series.

And congrats to the Rockies on making it an amazing post season run and bringing excitement back into the baseballl postseason for me, it's been a few years since that happened.

Anonymous writes:

I'm proud to live in Colorado and have a classy Rockie base ball team to support. This is better than living back east and trying to be just like the Yankees or living here and supporting either one of the "evil empires" at the expense of the home team.

KD writes:

Great season, Rockies! I can't imagine how much they've learned about themselves and the team during this run the last 5 weeks--all the better for next season. Just think, since it's now late October, unlike previous years, we have one less month to wait for baseball preseason to begin!

Brett writes:

Rockies-Savor the memory you beat the other NL teams just to get to the WS dance.
    That is a huge accomplishment on its own.
    You got a taste of what we Red Sox Nation enjoy every year-the playoffs.
    Hopefully your owner can add the pieces to the puzzle to get you back to the dance.
    You simply got beat by the best team in baseball in 2007.
    Look at the Cardinals?
    We swept them in 2004 and in 2005 they won the WS.
    There's hope.

Father writes:

Great run. Time to focus on the Avs now.

ben writes:

wow. for all the crap you rockies fans were throwing around on this blog for the past month and some, you suddenly seem fine with everything. how about how your team choked when the heat was on? how about how your big guns just seemed to strike out all the time. holliday and tulo and hawpe and all these guys just swing away and making no contact whatsoever. it was funny to see. what will all of you do next season when the rockies suck? what will you do when scott boras asks for a monster contract? from all i hear the rockies will not pay long term high dollar deals.
    how can this team possibly stay together? thoughts?

LHR writes:

Congrats to the Rockies and Red Sox for a good Series. No one threw at each other, the umpires rarely had to get involved in any disputes and there was fair play all around.

Do the Rockies fans realisticly think the team can make it back to the playoffs next year?

What players (free agents) do you think the team will add?

Jason writes:

Have the Rockies given Brian Fuentes his outright release yet?
    If not, what are they thinking?
    I'm surprised that Todd Helton didn't run out there to the mound and beat the crap out of him after getting torched again. Something like "Agghhh...I've been here ten %#@&^*@ years!!!! You've ruined my &$%#$@ life you moron! Agggggghahhhh!!"

What was Hurdle thinking?

Spolier writes:

Right. The Avs. You mean the team that was given a victory at Calgary because the referee blew the play dead AND WAVED OFF CALGARY'S THIRD GOAL WHILE THE PUCK WAS STILL MOVING AND HAD ALREADY CROSSED THE GOAL LINE?
    That team?
    The team that won against Minnesota ONLY BECAUSE NIKLAS BACKSTROM WAS OUT OF THE LINEUP?
    That team?

MJ writes:

NO, the AVS beat Calgary and Minnesota because they scored more goals than the Flames and Wild!!. Geez, don't you know how hockey works?? The team that scores the most goals wins! Its a really great system!

Spolier writes:

The team that gets a legit goal STOLEN from them generally loses the game.
    The score was supposed to be 3-1. The Flames then "lost" the game 3-2 in overtime.
    In the real world, the Flames win the game 3-2 in regulation.
    Don't try to BS this just because you're an Avs fan. Try looking at the real world once in a while. Up here in Canada, we look at the Avs as being a stolen franchise anyway. Now they have to go stealing games from our remaining teams???

MJ writes:

WOW, you must REALLY hate Colorado if them beating Calgary this early in the season makes you that angry. You need to try looking at the real world also. Colorado won the game. Quite complaining. Life goes on.

Scott writes:

You know what MJ -

You're a real pain in everyone's ass on this blog.
    I just read this blog each day, but I've never written anything until today. The problem with you is that you just can't let anything just go. You always have to challenge everything that everyone posts here. You just have to put your two cents in on every comment and then make it seem like you aren't the bad guy. Well, you are. At least you're one of the bad guys. How about you try finding another place to attack everything that everyone says? You've got some nerve. I watched the game in question. Calgary was robbed of a goal. Even Mike Haynes, the Colorado TV play-by-play guy admitted as much, and it clearly showed on the replay that the puck was over the line well before the whistle blew. If you can't admit that the Flames got screwed by the ref and all you can see if that the Avs "won" the game, then you are completely beyond help. If that's the case, you're also the biggest idiot in the short history of this blog. Be a homer, but don't be a stupid homer.

Father writes:

Ha ha, yall got all sad cuz the Avs won? Dude- talk to the refs and the league about that goal, that's not our fault. Like the Avs have never had a bad call go their way? And this garbage about a stolen team? Dude, you Canadians didn't want them, hence the low attendance, so they brought them to a real hockey market. USA! USA! USA!
    You know what else the US makes, kleenex, go get some and wipe away all those tears.

Jeff writes:

This is to Drew... I love your strip and read it every chance I get down here in Tampa. I used to subscribe to the Rocky and would do so again if I could. However, the forum of comments seems to be from a ton of anti-Colorado sports fans (usually the same guys, too). I'm not trying to stifle differing opinions, but some of these comments get downright old after a while. To those fans who hate our teams, why did you move to Colorado in the first place? If Boston is so wonderful, why aren't you there? Drew, I hope you'll consider what I'm saying, these people seem more interested in bashing local teams than discussing sports.

Jeff writes:

P.S. To the Rockies...way to go! You found a way into the playoffs when nobody thought you had a chance. To make the World Series alone was a great accomplishment. Regardless, I hope you guys get a parade, you deserve it!

Andrea writes:

THANK YOU ROCKIES!!!
    I wish everyone in the stands last night could have given you guys a "huge standing ovation" for ALL you accomplished this year!!! Colorado is proud of you!!!
    Hold your heads up high!!!

Warren writes:

Boy no kidding.

It's not just the people bashing the local teams (WorkingClassHero) but it's also the incredible rudeness of those that claim to be defending those local teams (MJ, Father). It appears that WCH had his fun and is done now that the Rockies season is finished. I didn't exactly understand what his deal was, but if he's gone, all the better. I do wonder what the deal is with people like Father and MJ though. They claim that they cannot stand people like WCH coming on this board, but then they just act like idiots themselves while trying, it would seem, to defend everyone's honor. A note to folks like MJ and Father - and kind of a suggestion - How about taking the high road and being the bigger man? Is it so hard for you to just ignore people like WCH and Spoiler? Just don't respond and you've won. By not responding, you steal all the power and still come out looking like the bigger man. If you keep retaliating, then you're no better than the instigator. As an example: Father, you stated that the Canadian people didn't want the Nordiques. All you're doing by saying that is ripping on Canadian citizens who are extremely passionate about their national sport. It's a sport that wouldn't exist if not for the people north of our border. It's just absolutely disgusting of you to rip on an entire country because of a disagreement with one poster on a blog. Just some food for thought for everyone who takes part on this board. But also remember, this is a blog, and there are going to be opinions. Just for Pete's sake, be civil. WCH - If you're gone, possibly this is for the better. Spolier - Might your words ring louder on a hockey specific board? Just a suggestion. MJ - How about trying not to be patronizing and insulting?
    This blog really needs to be humanized. Or maybe everyone can just calm down a bit.

• October 30, 2007

MJ writes:

Sorry for being annoying. I certainly don't want to be classified with the likes of WCH. It won't happen again.

• October 30, 2007

Thrawn writes:

Warren, I would go with the latter statement in your post.
    This is only a message board, lighten up people!!!

I like engaging in a debate and challenging people like anyone else. Unfortunately with guys like WCH, it became obvious that that was useless, and deep down, I bet even he knew his arguments were a bunch of ____. His whole purpose here was to bait. That is nothing new on blogs. It was still fun to fire off a couple of shots at him, I don't see what the big deal is.

Who cares if people come in here bashing Colorado teams, is anyone twisting your arm to actually read their posts?

To those that get all hot and bothered over what some anonymous nickname says, simply scroll past it. I did that for probably the majority of WCH's posts. (They were all pretty much the same anyway so I doubt I missed much.)

If you still are having trouble dealing with what others say, then here is another magic trick I can teach you. click that "X" in the top right hand corner, and you can make all those jerks disappear.
    David Blaine couldn't do better than that.

• October 30, 2007

Anonymous writes:

Thank you Thrawn. And MJ, you are not annoying.
    Warren, read my last sentence, get some kleenex dude. The only reason I kept going with hero was so he would keep posting. If anyone believed any of his statements, then I have some beachfront property to sell you over in Aurora. Also, I dont care if I offended 2 people, a country, or the entire world. I'm not going to let someone say we "stole" the Avs franchise while waiving their Canadian finger at me.
    I thought I have been civil. No where in any of my posts have I physically challenged someone or used any profane language. If you cant take it, just look at the toon and don't scroll down.

• October 30, 2007

MJ writes:

Scott, other than this particular toon, I really don't comment on much, let alone "challenge" people or put my two cents in as you claim. I certainly do not call people names on here as you have done in your post, which is a blog no no. I am sorry you feel I am "one of those bad guys."

• July 24, 2010

Hai Soisson writes:

I have to express, that in all the time I've spent on the internet, examining blogs, I never read one as short and snappy and well crafted as this one, I do not generally , comment on blogs and forums however in your case I felt the need to make an exception, this is sincerely superior work and thoroughly opposite to the drivel, i spend a lot of my time on the net, reading. Thank you with regard to taking the time and investing the effort to present your readers with a 1st class write-up. I look forward to reading way more of your work, once again many thanks. Jasmin