December 13, 2007 7:56 PM

Drew:The Mitchell Report

DREW1214.gif

• December 13, 2007

Well, where to begin...?

First off, I'm kind of thinking that this report has opened Pandora's Box. Baseball will NEVER be the same. The trust factor is gone forever. If the fans of the game of baseball actually decide to keep watching, then it will always be with skeptical eyes.
    The think I wonder is...how many other trainers and clubhouse attendants are still out there with stories to tell? There must be dozens of players that abused PED's and we either haven't heard their names pop up, or their names never will because someone will pay someone to keep their mouth shut.
    I'm pretty much done with baseball from being a fan of the game. At least Major League Baseball. There really isn't anything that MLB can do to right the ship. Even if they suspend some of these players for life (which will never happen - let's be realistic), it doesn't take away the incredible train wreck that this scandal has become. You cannot turn toast back into bread.

I am sure we will all see more familiar names come into the picture. I imagine that some might surprise some folks. The sad fact is that none of anyo of this should surprise any of us. There's always been too much money at stake with regards to MLB contracts and endorsments for the players.
    We all saw this coming as clear as day. The players, as much as they want you to believe that they are sorry, will only be sorry because they have now been exposed as cheaters.

What a sad state of affairs. I think I'll burn all my baseball cards, save for my Hank Aaron's and Cal Ripken's.

And one last football related item to chew on...

Memo to Shanny - Your son and your former assistant coach have replaced you as so called masterminds. They have a very good thing going in Houston. You, however, should realize that the game has firmly passed you by. Retire while you have something left resembling dignity.

• December 14, 2007

Bill from Wichita writes:

The student has become the teacher. I applaud Gary Kubiak on his head coaching abilities. Since training camp I have heard the same speeches about "jell-ing" and getting better. I saw virtually none of it all season.
    I know little about coaching, training and all that. What I do know is peppy speeches about getting better does not make a team so.

I say again, if the defense looks bad in preseason, it will look that way in the regular season. It seems to only apply to the Broncos as if there is too much pride and no one wants to make necessary changes to the "system" which obviously is not right for the Broncos.
    And good to see Tom!

• December 14, 2007

MJ writes:

I could not believe the Broncos lost. Kubiac beat them at their own game! Houston sure got a great coach. I don't think the Broncos offense has been the same since he left.

• December 14, 2007

Dave writes:

For some reason I was completely expecting Drew to draw an "Apprentice has become the Master" spoof ala Star Wars with Kubiak and Shanahan in place of Vader and Obi-Wan.

• December 14, 2007

Hoppman writes:

Just because Kubiak beat a lousy Broncos team to get to 7-7 doesn't make him the new mastermind, the Broncos defense is almost the worst in the NFL and they should score on it. Kubiak is way over rated by fans wishing for the good old days on these comment forums.

• December 14, 2007

Maybe "mastermind" was a stronger word than necessary, but it's crystal clear that the Texans are a team on the rise, and the same cannot be said about the Broncos.
    A few things about last night of note: (and I only picked up the game with about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter because I didn't know the game was on channel 2) -

1. Cutler barking at the refs at the end of the 1st half.

OBSERVATION: He looks like a 6 year old who isn't getting his way. He has not once looked like a leader. He loses any kind of composure he might start the game with. He gets riled WAY to easily. He also looks stoned and uninterested when on the sidelines between series. WAKE UP JAY!!!!! Get motivated. Talk to your linemen. Look at pictures. Talk on the phone with the folks upstairs. SOMETHING!!!

2. Champ Bailey getting burned. John Lynch getting old.

OBSERVATION: It's happening more frequently. He's still a good corner. But he's obviously lost a step. He no longer strikes fear into opposing QB's like he did when he was in D.C. Lynch is done. He needs to retire before he seriously injures himself.

3. Mike Shanahan.

The man turns into a human tomato more often than I have ever seen. What shade of red is that, anyway? If he'd been standing next to a group of Texans players in their all red uniforms last night, he'd have disappeared.

Cheers.