January 2, 2008 9:23 PM

Drew Litton: Bowls Forever

Drew10308.gif

Happy 2008 Everyone! I'm glad to be back from Christmas break. Let's see what I missed... The Broncos were headed downhill before I left for the holidays...The Avs lost Sakic for a long time and the Nuggets seem to be running perpetually in place... Oh I forgot, Rick Neuheisel has fooled another school into giving him a job. Well, you know what P.T. Barnum always said..."there's a sucker born every minute". Mostly, though, we've been mired in Bowl games since, it seems, like the ice age. Whatever happened to playing them all on New Years? Personally, I think it's been one of the most boring Bowl seasons in recent memory. What do you think?

• January 3, 2008

MJ writes:

I was very surprised that West Virginia put that kind of whoopin on Oklahoma. I figured it would have been a great game. I guess it was if you were a WV fan.

• January 3, 2008

good ol' george writes:

There are too many bowls with stupid sounding corporate names (most of which don't do business in my area) with too many six win teams that don't belong there in the first place. Cut down the number of bowls, leave off the sponsors name, and you can only bowl eligible if you have seven wins.

• January 3, 2008

The Buffs did prove that while they were, ahem.....*cough*..."goodenough" at 6-6 to play a "bowl game".....that they still are not climbing the ladder. I do wonder how many years Hawkins will get to turn the corner.

The Nuggets have proved that they can beat a soft schedule, but I'm expecting them to hit the wall this month. I'm not so sure 50 wins is a real possibility. Portland is now a factor as well as Utah, so the Nuggies better snap out of it, or they'll be watching the playoffs.

The Avs. Hmmm.....well.
    This is the beginning of the end for Sakic. I see him playing maybe one more year after this. I know he wants to play in the Olympics in 2010, but it may not be a realistic thing now. I also heard a rumor that Statsny has been offered a 7-year, $68 Million deal????

?????????
    ?????????

If that's true, it's absurd. Yeah, he's a nice little player, but he's basically been in the NHL for ONE YEAR! Guess the lockout was really worth it........Cripes.

The Rockies. Well, Charlie, Dick and compaany have really stepped up, eh? While the Arizona, L.A., San Diego, and even the Giants (just by subtracting Bonds) have gotten better, the Rockies are overpaying for mid-range talent. Seems like old times.

Happy New Year.

Cheers.

• January 3, 2008

Michael writes:

Can we PLEASE have a playoff already? Who the heck care who wins the Capitol One Bowl, or the Chick-Fil-A Bowl or whatever corporate sponsor’s bowl it is. WHO CARES? Why does every other NCAA sport and every other NCAA division of football have a playoff and the big schools just play a bunch of meaningless bowls.
    How cool would it be to have a sixteen team tournament to decide a real actual champion? You could turn all of these meaningless bowls into playoff games and the outcome would actually matter. Until then – WHO CARES? Whether Ohio Stat or LSU wins the championship – I personally think that it is meaningless. They are champions because some computer decided that they would probably beat West Virginia or USC. I don’t want to celebrate a champion ordained by a computer – I want a real playoff.

• January 3, 2008

Michael....

Theres a word that will answer all your questions.

MONEY.

Cheers.

• January 3, 2008

CAD MAN writes:

I have an idea about the bowl games !

Why not take the two worst college teams, (possibly w/ no wins at all) and have them play each other, and call it the Toilet Bowl !

That would make about as much sense as what we are seeing now !!

It's just all too rediculous.

Oh, and by the way, the sponsor could be
    Charmin Tissue or maybe
    Tidy Bowl, bowl cleaner !