March 5, 2008 11:40 PM

Drew Litton: Who's on Second and Brett Favre

DREW0306.gif

favre.gif

Second base is the only really undecided factor of this year's spring training. The bottom of the rotation still needs tweaking but that pretty much happens every year. This cartoon was a little bit like drawing a scene from the three stooges, with everybody shoving for space.

We've had some response about forming our own fantasy baseball league and if we get enough interest I'll go ahead and find a host site like we did for football. If you're interested, let me know.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Neither.

Cheers.

Steve writes:

Nice Farve cartoon Drew. I may not be a Packers fan, but I have a lot of respect for number 4.

WorkingClassHero writes:

I've always thought that Farve was the definition of an NFL Quarterback. Far better than the overhyped Elway who needed his team to cheat the salary cap rules to get the two tainted Superbowls.
    Farve's one Superbowl has no tarnish on it. It's as clean as his entire career. Elway's weren't won. They were scammed.

RedRover writes:

The Broncos did not cheat. And Elway was overhyped? Are you crazy????

Katie writes:

Where is Clint Barmes?

Howard in Colorado Springs writes:

Well, well, well...
    WCH is at it again, I see; you can't take your eyes off of him/her/it/that for a minute! I find it wildly ironic that someone would be talking about Favre, and calling Elway over-hyped! Elway never got an inch of slack from the media for 15 years until he got that Superbowl ring. Prior to that there was open discussion as to whether or not "he belonged in the Hall of Fame" while that 4-time loser from Buffalo, Kelly, was almost automatic! You can still whine about that Baltimore thing if you want to, but remember this; even the Baltimore Colts didn't want to play there! ;-)

There is nothing tainted about Elway's Super Bowl Rings. Favre, on the other hand, had the benifit of a pandering media his whole career. Irresponsible play? "He's a risk-taker-a gun slinger!" Overcoming alcohol and drug addiction - Heroism, by Jove! In my mind true heroism is being able to never start in the first place.

WCH; who is your team? I'm betting you are a disgruntled Browns fan, or a Patsys fan that can NEVER get past the Broncos! Or, are you a Jets fan, that thinks the Big Fish "outcoached" Shanahan almost 10 years ago?

"What an embezzle! What a maroon!"

Bob writes:

Hi Drew. My son is Lee Larsen's grandson, who I believe you know. In addition to being a sports fanatic and excellent student, my son creates suprisingly witty sports cartoons. I say suprisingly because he's only 11. I'd love to introduce you and he someday (perhaps a quick lunch?) so he can show off some of his work. He's a big fan of yours and at the very least, meeting you would give him additional encouragement. Thanks for considering it and you can email me back at the email I provided on this posting if you like.

WorkingClassHero writes:

Yes. The Broncos cheated. And yes. I'm at it again, whatever that means. Miss me?
    Hugs and kisses to all.

Sportz Fan writes:

Howard-

We all know that WCH knows very little about sports. That's why he will never disclose who his favorite team is.......or wait.....I've got it.....his favorite team this year is the NY Giants!!!!! And last year was the Colts....etc/etc.

Our other "Anti-Denver" blogger, Tom, at least posts with some truth and shows intelligence (and is pretty funny). WCH on the other hand is just a "wannabe" Tom that is not intelligent enough to back up opinions.

Forget it WCH......you will never live up to the legend that is TOM.

By the way,
    Holliday was SAFE!!!! ;)

• March 6, 2008

While I'd agree that Matsui had a creaky back, and that caused the Rockies to balk in re-signing him, am I the only one who thinks Matsui will light it up with Houston, and that the Rockies will get little to no production from their 2nd baseman (whomever he/they may turn out to be..)...?
    The biggest mistake the Rockies may end up remembering is who they didn't sign, rather than who they did. Something to think about going forward.

By the way...Legend? Me?Nah, probably not. Just a curious observer who likes to chime in from time to time and play boatrocker with you lot.

As for WCH...probably the best course is to just ignore him/her. I have never responded to any of his/her posts. I just don't care so much. Sometimes that's the easiest route.

Cheers.

Mike D writes:

Matsui wasn't re-signed because he wasn't worth anywhere the contract he got.

His road splits were abysmal (worse than all of the Rockies, although Tulo and Atkins were almost as bad,who obviously and admittedly have better stats in Coors than on the road): 249 .304 .333 .638

We're talking about a lifetime .270 hitter, with around .700 OPS.

That's a replacement level player stats, that with 81 games in Coors Field, can be had for a lot less.

You can fairly criticize the Rockies management for being cheap on many an occasion. Letting Matsui go when Baker/Nix (I fear Baker's defense will prevent him from winning the job outright despite being the best hitter while Nix won't match Baker's offense so they'll end up splitting the job) can replace him for 1/10 the price was just good business.

Don writes:

Your cartoon Who's On Second? Reminded me of the movie Finding Nemo. The sea gulls were screaming mine, mine, mine during their scenes. Did you have that movie in mind when you penned this cartoon?

• May 30, 2010

Deneen Balderston writes:

Will Brett Favre make a make a big difference for a team on one side of the ball? When Emmit Smith was at the peak of his game for touchdowns, certainly certain players, no doubt, one player can make good teams into great teams.