April 16, 2008 11:06 AM

Drew Litton: Broncos Season Opener

DREW0416.gif

• April 16, 2008

T.C. writes:

The rest of the AFC West has improved. The Broncos have not done much. Hate to say, but the Broncos are looking at a few lean years before they compete for anything. Bringing in Champ's brother isn't going to scare other teams into thinking that Denver is serious about winning this season. The best case scenario is that this is a transition year that will clearly show if Jay Cutler is to be the long term solution at QB. Sure, he seems to be, but he's going to have to take a dramatic leap forward to be considered the long term front-runner. I fully expect Shanahan to draft a QB in this upcoming draft as insurance.

Uncle Buck writes:

How has the rest of the West improved? Oakland picked up Walker and Hall. I guess you could call that an improvement. KC hasn't really done anything. And of course SD is just down right good. I think Denver has made the most moves out of all the teams but that does not necessarily make them better. And if Shanahan drafts a QB it won't be until the late rounds. It should be interesting this year in the West. If for some reason San Diego stumbles out of the gates, anyone of them could come out up front.

Andy writes:

T.C. - WHAAAAT?!?!?!
    You fully expect Shanny to draft a QB?!?!?!

OK - thank you - here's your sign. Move along.

Kurt writes:

T.C........uh yeah?

The broncos have made some decent moves this year, i like not signing big names....cause one guy doesn't win championships! Its totally up in the air what kind of team we are going to see, but Cutler is the least of my worries.

I think this team came in cocky last year, and didn't have any work ethic during the off season, I think the good beatings they took this year have made the majority of them realize they have a lot of work to do.

I'm up in the air on this team right now, not really sure what to expect, just hoping for a competitive season!

T.C. writes:

hey, don't knock my comments just because I don't have unbridled faith that Cutler can win in the NFL. He hasn't done anything yet. He's got a big arm, but that hasn't translated to NFL success as far as reaching the postseason. I still think the Broncos would be well served in drafting or trading for another young QB to show Cutler that the job isn't his without a fight. Ramsey is worthless other than being the "steady veteran" on paper.

I'm not sold on Cutler until he leads the team to the playoffs.

Lonnie writes:

Game 5 tonight! Go Avs!

rx writes:

I know, dude. Cutler hasn't proven anything in is 1 whole season as a starter as far as playoff success. Especially when the defense was giving up 40 a game. I say we cut him.

T.C. writes:

The Broncos defense giving up 40 a game still doesn't explain Cutler's poor performance. I mean, according to most Broncos fans, he's the next Farve or Elway. Cutler has a big arm, but it's just not enough in the NFL. He's not smart with the ball. He makes bad reads. If he's serious about staying the starting QB, he has to play far better than he has. If he struggles this season, he's going to be replaced. Of this, there is little doubt.

Dugout writes:

The Broncos are a 5-11 team. At best, they'll go 6-10. This is not a team that can score or defend. The team will go as far as Cutler can take them, and to T.C.'s point, Jay hasn't proved he can win. It's going to be a struggle.

Uncle Buck writes:

You need to cut the kid some slack. He has only played one full year. He's still learning. What did Elway do in his first full year?? He threw for 2598yds, 18TD's, completed 56.3% of his passes and achieved a passer rating of 76.8. What did Cutler do in his first full year? He threw for 3497yd's, 20TD's, completed 63.6% of his passes with a 88.1 QB rating. Plus Elway played 11 games BEFORE he played his first full season. What did Cutler play, 4? And he still has better stats then Elway did. Point is, don't give up on the kid after such a short amount of time.

Michael writes:

Thank you Uncle Buck!
    Last time I checked football was a team sport and trying to pin anything on a quarterback starting his first full season is ridiculous. There is not one first year quarterback in history that could have taken last years team to the playoffs with the type of defense they had. In fact I would say that there is not one quarterback at any juncture of his career that could have taken them to the playoffs.
    To even try to judge what sort of long-term impact Cutler will have after 20 regular season starts is fool-hearted. Teams that make snap decisions like that don't make it very far. Besides, I thought he look pretty dang good for his first full go around.
    I am not sure what we will have as far as a Bronco team this coming season. I do like the moves they have been making and the fact that they are avoiding the big names in favor of building a solid base.
    Draft a quarterback??? With all of the holes they have to fill, drafting a quarterback would be down right stupid.
    That being said I will admit I am a homer and give an 11-5 prediction. Is that realistic? Who cares? All I have to say is…
    GO BRONCOS!!!

Thrawn writes:

T.C.

The Broncos still have far too many holes to fill than to worry about the QB position right now. We have basically no defensive line, holes in the offensive line, special teams is a disaster, etc. There are too many question marks to make me believe Shanahan will take a late draft of a QB.

I guess stranger things have happened with this front office.

Justin writes:

Maybe in round 2, the Avalanche will actually get to play a team with a healthy defensive corp so we can find out if this team is for real or not.
    The Avalanche got really lucky to draw the Wild instead of San Jose. Colorado has wrapped up the series, but it'll just get tougher when they play a team with a full lineup. The Avs are the West version of the Penguins. They got to beat up on an injured opponent. The Avs winning this series proves nothing just as Pittsburgh winning against the Senators proves nothing.