April 11, 2008 11:00 PM

Drew Litton: The Avs and Av Nots

Drew0412.gif

I'm back from a few days off and looking forward to the Avalanche and Nuggets as they extend their seasons. It should be an exciting way to spend what's left of Spring.

• April 12, 2008

The Colorado Nordiques are fortunate to be at a 1-1 tie in this series. The Wild clearly deserved to win Game One. They outplayed the Nords by a MILE. A bloody MILE. The Nordiques were given a bogus penalty shot, which Ryan Smyth blew. If you're on the team of a player that blows a penalty shot in a close playoff game, you don't deserve to win the game. The Nords are lucky. That's it.
    The Nordiques are a slow, slow, slow and ancient team. I'm going to remind you all of something. Joe Sakic is 38 years old. He's going away very soon. He's old, and he's slow, and he was totally invisible in Game Two. He was invisible in Game One until he decided to step it up for an entire 2.4 seconds. Nice farewell Joe. Fine and dandy.
    John-Michael Liles is a 4th line Left Wing that has been given an assignment to pose as an NHL defenseman. He sucks, and he sucks to an extreme. He is a horrible defender and that gives even horrible defenders a bad name.
    Peter Forsberg is not Foppa. He is Floppa. He got bulldozed several times and made vain attempts to draw penalties because he's not longer strong enough to absorb hits from opposing players. God help the Nordiques if they actually resign this fool to play next season. If the Nords do, then look for a lottery pick.
    The referees gave the Nords overtime in Game Two. There was no hook on Johnsson. I've looked at the play fifty times and there is no hook. OT = good TV ratings and an active TV audience. Nice try Gary Bettman.
    Jose Theodore is horrible. I was so happy to see him giving up long point shots for goals again. Outstanding.
    The Wild are a young, hungry, energetic, hard-working, hard-hitting AWESOME team that knows how to play in today's NHL. They will be a force for 10-15 years now.
    The Nordiques...are old. They have loads of players that cannot keep up with today's NHL. Sakic is done. Brunette is done. Forsberg is done. Hedjuk will run back to Europe when he finds out his dear Peter cannot play anymore. Theodore is done. Nice closing act Jose, but it's over.
    Joel Quennville? Check out the classifieds. There's a job opening in Florida coming soon.
    Paul Statsny? Yeah. Where's he been for the first two games? Guess he left his postseason game at Magness Arena.
    Getting the band back together only happens in the movies. Sure, the Nords "won" Game One. But this series will be over soon. The Wild are that good. And they will continue to be good for a long, long time. Calgary is a solid team. They'll be around. Once Vancouver gets their "D" healthy, they'll be a division title contender again. Edmonton is already a better and younger team than Colorado when they're healthy. The Nords are done contending for anything. They had their time, and it was all purchased. That's not allowed anymore, and due to that fact, the Nords have no idea how to exist successfully in the NHL.
    I'll very much enjoy watching the Nordiques fade out without so much as a whimper. The time of the Colorado Nordiques is over, and it'll finally start sinking in when Joe Sakic goes home to Vancouver. See, he belongs to Vancouver. You've just been renting him for a while. He's not yours. He's Vancouver's. Understand that. All Colorado does is borrow players. Colorado BUYS players. You bought Selanne, Kariya, Bourque, Roy, Smyth, Blake, Fleury, and a host of others. You didn't even go the route of getting an expansion team. You had to steal one.
    Minnesota hockey fans are the very best the sport has to offer. Hope you were paying attention. There was nary a Nordiques sweater in the crowd.
    I'll be delighted to watch the interest in the Colorado Nordiques fade once Joe and company are no more and all that's left are a bunch of no-name players filling out an AHL roster at the Soda Can.

Cheers.

• April 12, 2008

Jason writes:

Wow, Tom needs a woman in his life. Anyone with that much free time to post on message boards is a sad lonely man.

• April 12, 2008

Dwayne writes:

Hey Tom...yeah check the rule book dickie, if a player closes his glove on a puck in the crease that warrants a penalty shot.

As far as you're concern Jason...you hit the nail on the head brotha.

• April 12, 2008

Kurt writes:

tom......seriously that post was so far out in left field!

what a great series! both teams are playing outstanding hockey!

can't wait for the next game

• April 12, 2008

Jeremy writes:

Wow, what a post from Tom. Interesting revisionist history, but play on! However, if you're going to call the Avs the Nordiques, you might want to note that the Minnesota Wild played their first full year in 2000-2001, so they're a newer franchise than the Avs, which probably explains some of the rabid fan support. Also, because the Wild is a newer franchise, which apparently is a crime, what name do you want to use for the Wild? Maybe you can call them the Minnesota Ladyslippers, since the Ladyslipper has been Minnesota's state flower for much longer than the Wild has been their hockey team. I do agree with you in one area, the Ladyslippers are an awesome team! Here's hoping the Avs are better. Yeah playoff hockey!
    Anyway, amusing reading. Thank you Tom for being hillarious.

• April 12, 2008

Jacob writes:

You're right, Minnesota has tremendous fans, that's why they were so desperate to step up their efforts and keep the north stars. They let them move south, any fan base that allows a team to move cannot be considered a good fan base. Let the whole state of Minnesota go back to watching college hockey. Oh right, the Gophers aren't in it either...

• April 12, 2008

Uncle Buck writes:

Wow Tom, maybe you should check your facts before posting something like that. The Avs recieved a penalty shot becuase a Wild player covered the puck with his glove in the crease, resulting in a penalty shot. Get it right man.

• April 12, 2008

Dave writes:

Hey Jeremy,,,,,remember that Colorado let the Rockies move to New Jersey. Does that mean that Denver can't be considered a good fan base?

• April 12, 2008

Glenn In Colorado Springs writes:

I'll point out that I've watched dozens of hockey games this year and at some point, just about every game, a defenseman covers the puck in the goal crease during a scrum. It might look like the goaltender has it, but they do not.

However, in the case of game one, the Wild should not have been called for a penalty shot against. The Wild also were not guilty of a hook late in game two. The Avs player simply was already falling down. That was an absolutely terrible call. The Avs better mind themselves from here out in the series, because there are now bound to be "make up" calls that will favor the Wild. And the Wild are a team that capitalizes on those opportunities.

The Avs got lucky to come out of Minnesota with a split. The Series should be 2-0 for the Wild.

• April 12, 2008

Voice Of Reason writes:

Tom's comments might border on humerous, but he's correct on a few counts.
    The Avalanche are a team that has a window of this year and this year alone to make a push. If they don't do something this playoff season, it's going to be a while before they contend. They might even start a string of seasons where they miss the playoffs every year for a while.
    I firmly believe that this is Joe Sakic's last year in an Av's uniform. I think he'll play out his final seasons with Vancouve, in his hometown and then will play in the Olympics there, and then he'll hang them up. The last thing the Avalanche need is a 38 year old center. They need to get younger, and while it will be a tough decision to let Joe walk away, the Avalanche must make that decision for the good of the franchise.
    As Tom has said, all the other teams in the NW division have gotten better and are better that the Avalance. Injuries caused Edmonton and Vancouver to falter. It's the reason that the Avalanche made the playoffs. The only reason. 4th or 5th place will likely become a standard finishing spot for Colorado over the next 4-5 seasons while they restock through the draft (the only real way to build a team back up.)

• April 13, 2008

AVS IN '08 writes:

You're kidding me, right? Minnesota should be UP 2-0?
    Tom, you obviously didn't watch Game One at all. Save the first period, Colorado was all over them. Also, don't put down Joe Sakic. Ever. He is the face of the franchise, and you're WAYYY out of line by insulting him and his allegedly slow and diminished speed and skill. Both games went into Overtime; How can you say that Minnesota was so much better then Colorado? 2 out of their 5 goals went in off of Avalanche defensemen's skates. That's quite a bit. Koivu's shot in the 3rd period of Game 2 should have been a routine save for Theodore, but he didn't expect the puck to take such a big bounce. Without those 3 goals, Minny would be down 2-0, and I wouldn't have to be typing this.

Also, you're one of the most uneducated people when it comes to the NHL I've ever met. Vancouver will contend for the TITLE? LOL! You must be retarded! I also love how you think Colorado is too old. We have a plethora of young prospects waiting in the wings to play for our team. According to you, Sakic is nothing but a washed-up has-been anyways, so anything's better then him, right? You'd rather have Hensick then him, I'd bet.

Have fun crying when the 'old timer's' take the Wild to school. We'll flop our way to the second round. Avs in 6.

• April 13, 2008

Leah writes:

Wow, Tom. Thank you for crawling out from under your rock long enough to type that. It's pretty clear you've been there for a while.
    Calling Joe Sakic old, slow and washed up is a joke. Let's see you play this game at the intensity he does coming off hernia surgery. I'd guess you wouldn't be 100% either. But he sure looks good for 99%. As for him being a rental, you haven't heard of his no-trade clause and how he's stated several times that he wants to retire an Av. That doesn't sound like a rental to me. Sounds like you're picking up words that just sound good, but really don't stick close to the truth.
    Paul Stastny is not a no-name player, like you implied. He's got more hockey knowledge in his big toe than you clearly do. But again, he's never played playoff hockey at this level before. Even the best of us get nerves. He's going to be a force once he gets over that.
    Peter Forsberg may not be what he once was either. But there still aren't many players in the league that can take a hip check at center ice while having puck possession and manage to hold onto it without falling down. I'd bet that you're not the man you were 10 years ago either.
    As for stealing a team, last I checked, the Nordiques were not staying in Quebec, they were being sold. So Colorado didn't steal anything. We just happened to have the money at the right time. And maybe the fan base wouldn't have grown as fast as it did if the Avs hadn't won the Cup in '96, but you could say the same about the Nuggets fanbase and the arrival of Carmelo Anthony.
    Yes, I'll agree with you on one thing. The officiating in this series is laughable. There's been a lot of questionable calls made, on both teams. I'd like to see some refs who actually know what a real penatly should look like.
    Thank you again for posting your nonsense drivel. If you dislike the Avalanche so much, find something else to occupy your time. They don't need your support. You can go crawl back under your rock now.

• April 13, 2008

Rick writes:

Hehe, bogus penalty shot? Um, covering the puck in the crease with your hand is about the most black and white call there is in hockey, Tom.

Who is this Tom guy? He's really a loser, especially not even knowing simple rules like that. I think Tom seriously needs a date. Better yet, a girlfriend.

Anyway, for the rest of us who actually do have girlfriends, wives, SO's, etc... what a great series this is turning into!

• April 13, 2008

Thank you for the compliments. I do appreciate you as my audience. It's a great deal of fun.

Yes, I have a girlfriend. She's a lovely young lass. I'm not sure that's your business, but, well...there it is. And yes, I do know my hockey. But that's not the point. You all need to learn to read my posts better. You might want to spend some time going back and re-reading them. Trust me that in those posts lies the answer to nearly all of your questions.
    I do find it funny that while I'm rocking the boat, many of you have decided to jump in the water with me and help. It's very much appreciated, and it's nice to know that you're there to help.

Cheers.

• April 13, 2008

Todd writes:

Yeah, we're sure you have a girlfriend, Tom. Sure. We all believe you.

• April 13, 2008

Incidentally, even if I don't have a girlfriend, what difference does that make? It doesn't change the fact that Forsberg has never won anything of significance in his entire career. It doesn't change the fact that Joe Sakic is overrated and will never make the Hall of Fame (except in the minds of Avs fans). And it doesn't change the fact that Patrick Roy couldn't win in the clutch. You all need to learn something about hockey.

Cheers.

• April 13, 2008

Thank you to my Ghost Poster who posted at 3:32 PM on 04/13/08 above, but I can handle my own situations and responses. Many thanks, but I do my own work here.

• April 13, 2008

Thank you to my Ghost Poster who posted at 3:23 PM on 04/13/08 above, but I can handle my own situations and responses. Many thanks, but I do my own work here.

• April 14, 2008

I am you. You are me. You cant even appreciate your own work when it comes from me or you? How can they trust us for our keen insight to our local sports if we cant even get along with ourselves. Lets be one again.

Cheers.

Cynthia writes:

Joey with an OT winner. Foppa with a beautiful goal. Foote shutting down Gaborik. These boys can still play!

Jeremy writes:

Dave,
    I think you need to attach the right comments to the right person. I never said anything about fan base - that was the poster below me.
    Regards,

• April 14, 2008

Just so there's no confusion, those other comments were the contribution of my Ghost Poster. I speak for myself. And for those of you who think Sakic, Forsberg, and Foote have ever been anything more than mediocre to average players in this league, you are as delusional as the Avs front office.

Oh, and the Avs will be lucky to stay within five goals tonight.

Cheers.

• April 14, 2008

That was me that posted just now, I just didn't remember. Sorry for all the posts. I am trying to fix myself.

Cheers.

Howard in Colorado Springs writes:

I once heard, on a national sports radios show, Ringo Starr described as "the luckiest One-Two puncher that ever lived." That may actually be true in Ringo's case, but to say "Patrick Roy couldn't win in the clutch" is...delusional! Roy has 4 rings that would tend to say otherwise. If you tried to make the arguement that (Hall of Fame inductee) Roy only has them because of the other players on the team, then that blows holes in the "Forsberg and Sakic are mediocre" arguement.

So, "school" me; which is it going to be?

Both Colorado "Championship Teams" have to fight tooth and nail to get ANY recognition from the Eastern - er - "National" press. It has always been this way...

Mark writes:

Tom,

Seriously, you need to stop, you're making a fool of yourself... seriously... stop.

On the 13th at 3:23 you said, "Forsberg has never won anything of significance in his entire career."

Forsberg won the Hart trophy in 2003 with 106 points, and he has won two goal medals, not to mention two stanley cups (and don't even think about saying he didn't contribute in 2001, he gave his spleen).

Dude, he was on a freakin postage stamp in Sweden.

Here's the thing though, I got no problem with you coming on to stir things up, or rock the boat. It's no fun if everyone agrees. But don't be stupid, (you get a pentaly shot if you close your hand on the puck in the crease), and don't dis legends. Sakic is a model athlete, and of course he's getting older, we all are. Almost every player in the NHL agreeded as much as three years ago that Forsberg was the most dominate player, and I just gave you his credentials.

Oh and finally. You need to mix up your template of rocking the boat. The whole "(insert current Colorado team here) stinks! They're overrated. (Insert famous Colorado athlete here) is awful, and is getting old. (Insert Colorado team name here) fan's are biased." formula is getting old.

Wow. Look at that.

Carmelo Anthony gets nailed on "suspicion" of drunk driving. I guess they have to call it "suspicion" so that the police can get paid off so that they deem the "arrest" incorrect at a later date.

PARODY:

Police: "Were you drinking and driving, Mr. Anthony?"

Carmelo: "Nah......"(head bobs back and forth and spittle drools down chin)

Police: "I think we're going to have to book you on drunk driving charges"

Carmelo: "Will $5,000 green do to get me off?"

Police: "Um...why....yes...YES Mr. Anthony....um....that'll do just FINE!"

I guarantee the police will lessen the charges and Anthony will walk....AGAIN!

Cheers.

Oh, and Drew....someone here seems to be posting under my handle and seems to be trying to post as me. Any chance of finding out who this person is and having the Rocky I.T. dept. deal with the situation? Thanks.

Bill writes:

Message to the real Tom -
    Don't worry. Some of us can tell the difference between you and the moron that is posing as you. The real Tom has wit and courage to post whatever he feels like posting. The imposter has neither. He's just a wannabe.

The real Tom is the one who made the original post for this toon, and he's the one who made the more recent post in regards to Carmelo Anthony.

I'm not sure who's trying to impersonate Tom, but you're doing a very poor job. Please stop making a fool of yourself.

Kurt writes:

Since when did this post become all about Tom?

Does anyone really care about who is impersonating Tom....No

The world has a million Toms......get over yourself!

Can't wait for the game tonight, this series is awesome!

both games so far have been really exciting, havn't had this much fun in a while! Go aves

• April 14, 2008

I'll have a nice surprise post waiting for you all real soon. Probably later this afternoon or this evening.

It will explain everything.

Stay tuned.

This is the real Tom speaking. Thank you. That is all for now.

• April 14, 2008

Hi, Cheers. My name is Tom. Cheers. I dont like anything. Cheers. Especially people who try to use my name. Cheers. Dont they know that Tom is my name only? Cheers. My favorite TV show......

Cheers.

anon. writes:

Hey Tom, how do we know that you are the real Tom? Maybe the fake Tom is the real Tom and you are the one acting like you are him. Prove yourself Tom. If you are the real Tom.

So, here's the deal.

You all have actually been part of a study for the last year. It's part of a project that I've been working on for a sociology and psychology class. It has to do with human response. I've been playing instigator and agitator this whole time in order to earn a response from the readers here. I've been doing this study on a total of 10 random blogs, including this one. I chose different blogs based on the subject matter I wanted to study responses for. This was the sports blog I chose. I've chosen other ones such as music, literature, politics, etc.
    I'm currently compiling the statisitcs. It was a great study in how people respond to different things.
    I'm actually surprised that no one picked up on the situation. I was really hoping to be found out on this one. I tried many times to change the responses by asking people not to take my comments so seriously, but alas, few folks picked up on it. I played the part of "troll" that is common on message boards, and the like. Most folks on message boards state "Don't feed the troll." Nearly everyone here fed the troll. So, I suppose that thanks are in order to all of you. Many of you have been very good sports. I tried my best to escalate my demeanor over the year and then right at the end I decided to amp things up to the highest level. I got just about the exact response I expected : Outright disdain and almost pure hate. I even got people to try and immitate my and my posts. Great fun and very good for my research.
    So, with that, I'll bid farewell for now. Possibly I will show up on this board from time to time and toss an opinion around, but you won't know it's me unless you've been paying attention for a long time. I won't post under Tom anymore (not even my real name...just made it up....)

Take care everyone. That's for being such good sports.

Cheers...

-Tom

J.C. writes:

I just figured Tom out. He's a troll. Don't feed the troll.

Who knows, maybe he is just toying with our feelings for a study. Just a thought.

• April 15, 2008

Jeremy writes:

Tom, no one has taken your comments seriously for 6 months now. For instance, if you read my post above, it is basically a satiracal response. That being said, I still support your right to make your non-serious comments.

• April 17, 2008

Tom 2 writes:

All hail the TOM!!!

You suck!

• April 18, 2008

Young Official writes:

actually glenn, in colorado springs, it is only a penalty if covered INTENTIONALLY covered by any player other than the goalie by his HAND in the crease. therefore, if it is under his leg or but cause he fell, no penalty shot. if he reaches down and covers is with his hand to push it to the goalie (exactly what the wild player did) thats a penalty shot. The new standard of play states "the stick may not be parralell to thie ice while in contact with the body." it does not matter if he is falling or not, he hooked the players hands keeping him from playing the puck. there are 4 criteria for penalty calling, one of them is lost of goal scoring oppurtunity. since his hands were hooked he was unable to shoot the puck. therefore, loss of goalscoring oppurtunity