April 23, 2008 7:34 PM

Red Wings and Lakers: Drew doubleheader

DREWAVS.gif

DREWNUGS0424.gif

Ahhh...nothing quite like the Red Wings and the Lakers to get the old blood pumping. Did three cartoons yesterday. The Nuggets toon was a late deadline cartoon drawn in less than 30 minutes. A little faster than I like to work and the whole process does scary things to the central nervous system. The Avs cartoon was for our Avs playoff special section printed today. Don't forget my Draft-O-Rama blog. Join me here Saturday at 1 as I watch the draft and sketch a few cartoons along the way. Comment on the picks as they happen.

Jacob writes:

The chicken mcnuggets have no chance in this series, but did the zebras really don the purple and gold during the technicals to jr and ai? jr got mugged by 2 guys and he threw his arms up and he got T'd and ai complained about how terrible a call that was and he got T'd. I would be happy w/ 1 win by the mcnuggets in this series but it would be nice to see the refs be partial. Also, what the hell is kobe doing whoffing at j.r. smith? big man kobe, great job talking smack to a backup shooting guard on a dysfunctional 8 seed. let's just remind everyone that you haven't won a championship (or even a 2nd round playoff series) without shaq in his prime. way to go kobe, you really showed a 23 year old backup. i can't wait to see chris paul average 33 points, 17 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals in the western conference finals against the lakers. please tell me that i'm not the only one who thinks that kobe is an overrated punk. let's not forget who got the big shot in every laker game during the kobe-shaq era...

Jacob writes:

Follow up...I agree with your Avs 'toon drew. I love the Avs as much as I hate the dead wings (which is far more than any other entity on this planet) but my blood pressure is through the roof. why you ask? it's not because of the season series (sakic, statsny, smyth, forsberg, foote, & salei played a combined 4 games against the wings this year), it's because w/ an enemy like the wings, the pain of losing is so much more intense than the joy of winning. if the avs win this series i will be more relieved than overjoyed. if the wings win this series, i will be distraught, either way...do, do do do do, do do do do do, do do do do do, dododo...RED WINGS SUCK!!!!

Kurt writes:

Where to start...

the Ave's serie should be INTENSE, thats all i can say about it, I know i will be on the edge of my seat the entrie time. I really dislike the Wings, but they do put up a competitive team, and make the serie great.

The nugs on the otherhand....Kobe is a great palyer, Last night he uterly destroyed the Nugs.Off the court he is a punk, but thats not part of basketball... I haven't forgot about his little incident in colorado, as most fans have not either. I have been a big fan of Carmelo, but his is no where to be found in this series. Sending out an APB for melo...come in carmelo, we are in a series here. This team is on their last legs, some serious trades will go down after this season. I would start JR next game, and Kleiza. Sit Carter and Melo. Ai has been nothing too special nor has camby. i love the nuggets, but last night was almost as tough to watch as the past series with the Spurs. Show some heart.

Drew Fan writes:

Drew, don't forget that Saturday at 1pm is also when the Avs and Wings will be dropping the puck for Game 2 on NBC. Blog some Avs-Wings stuff for us too!

Tree writes:

Go Wings.
    Jacob, start buying your hard liquor now to ease your pain coming at you with in the color red. Denver has a long way to g o before becoming a hockey town. Bronco's still make the sports front page during off season. 1/2 this town don't even know the Avs are in the playoffs. Sorry.

Carl writes:

Wings in 5.

And I'm being very kind by even giving the Avalanche one game.

It's going to be a slaughter-fest.

Gerald writes:

Actually, Denver is a great hockey town. One of the better ones in the country.

As for this series, it should be a great one! I think it could go 7. Wings will be tough to beat though.

Uncle Buck writes:

Just like the Wings were supposed to slaughter the #8 seeded Preds? This is a whole new Avs team that Detroit never saw in the regular season. I think the Avs will surprise alot of people. Avs in 6. And I am being very kind giving the Wings 2 games.

Tree writes:

I hear you guys. I'm smart enough not to bet the games. I've seen the #1 seed Red Wings go out first round to the #8 Stanley Cup champs Ducks before. Red Wings have a bad habit leading the regular season to exit stage left early.
    Gerald, I disagree. Where are the kids playing street hockey in driveways in this town? Denver doesn't have hockey in it's blood yet. This town is still infatuated with a guy named Elway and not Gordie Howe.

Sean writes:

Big Avs fan here, but I think Colorado has ridden Jose as far as they're going to ride him. The Avs just cannot deal with Detroit's puck possession game. Holmstrom and Zetterberg are probably going to have a big series on the power play, and Lidstrom and Chelios are ageless wonders.
    If the Avs have any chance, the 3rd and 4th liners are going to have to contribute heavily. Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk are not the players they once were.

I think it'll be Detroit in 5 games. Maybe 6, but 5 is probably more likely. Hopefully the boys win at least one at home for the crowd, but this is a tough draw. The wings just aren't the Wild.

Tree writes:

Game time Avs fans. Pony up your $ at the window. ML stands for money line. If you put down $100. for Avs to win tonight, you take home $170.
    Red Wings, home ice advantage, you need to lay down $200. to win $100. Ouch. Click on and scroll to the bottom for hockey.

Larry&Sonia writes:

Drew,
    Old fans & friends of yours from FBC. Just came across your page. Love your Avs toon, especially now that we live in Michigan!

• October 12, 2010

Fashion Trends writes:

I've been born into the market with my parents operating in the fashion trade. I've realized the business is quite disjointed so I'm at present working over a web page to deliver everybody along.