April 2, 2008 7:20 PM

win, lose & Drew: Cutler's Last Stand

DREW0403.gif

The difference in maturity levels between Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall is as wide as the Grand Canyon. Cutler is focused on football, winning, and becoming the best he can be. Marshall, a classic underachiever who may never reach his potential, continues to fumble his way around with off-the field issues. It's all in the way you play the game.

• April 2, 2008

I'll believe that Cutler has grown up when he stops looking completely drugged out of his mind at press conferences. He needs to:

A. Stop wearing stupid hats when he's being interviewed.
    B. Get a hairstyle that is not circa 1965 Beatles.
    3. Stop barking at the referees because things didn't go his way. (It's not the refs fault that the Broncos receivers can't get open or that his offensive linemen hold everyone on evey play.)
    4. Be a man and tell Shanahan to stick it and call some audibles. (In otherwords Jay....grow a pair.)
    5. Win some games on your own. Stop relying on Jason Elam to bail you out....

Oh yeah....

Guess you'll HAVE to do that last one, eh Jay?

Cheers.

P.S. Brandon Marshall should have been given his outright release effective immediately after it was known that he lied about what happened in his living room (which I still don't believe). Don't the Broncos have enough character issues?

• April 2, 2008

Jacob writes:

HA! an outright release because he said he slipped on a mcdonalds wrapper and instead fell into an entertainment system while wrestling with his brother? wow tom, congratulations on the overreaction of the year. Usually your comments have some sense to them, but that's just ridiculous. That is quite possibly the most absurd statement you have made on these message boards.

P.S. i didn't realize that you're a fashion critic. maybe you should call cutler and have him fire his publicist and you can take the job

• April 2, 2008

Mike D writes:

Tom,

1 and 2 have nothing to do with Jay being grown up or capable of being a leader.

If 3 is a DQ, then Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are DQ'd from being grown up too because they are the two most petulant QBs going. There's a reason there is something in popular sports lexicon as the "Manning Face" and that Tom Brady leads the league in roughing the passer penalties despite playing behind a good OL and having a quick release.

As for #4, it's unfair to expect a 23-year-old in his first year of starting to run the offense the way Peyton Manning does. Note, I'm not saying an important step in his development, just that it's still a little early in his career for this to be a serious complaint.

And last, it's important to note that JC drove the team into position for those kicks and in two of those instances, if Elam hadn't blown earlier kicks, the last seconds heroics would've been unnecessary.

Again, don't misconstrue this as saying JC and the offense doesn't need to be more effective in the red zone. He does and the offense does.

But playing behind a mediocre, injury depleted OL, with 1 legit WR healthy for the year, and an inconsistent running game, particularly in short yard situations, Cutler was among the top 12 QBs in almost every important statistical category. That's a ridiculously good season for someone with 5 previous starts on his record.

Brian writes:

Tom is using the new numbering system...

A, B, 3, 4, 5 hehe

In all seriousness Tom has some good points (never thought I'd say that). I don't think a QB should be telling the coach to stick it though. If you told YOUR boss to stick it, he'd stick you...out the front door.

Texas Bronoc writes:

Tom would complain if the Broncos had Tom Brady at QB and the Broncs won the Superbowl after a perfect season. Ignore him. Maybe he'll go away again.

Texas Bronco writes:

RedRover writes:

As long as Cutler can win games I could care less what his hair looks like and if he wears a hat at a press conference. And I have a feeling if he told Shanahan to "stick it", he would be riding the pine pony while Patrick Ramsey guided the team. Now thats a scary thought!

• April 3, 2008

Yep. I thought the new numerical/alpha system might be fun.

Yes. Cutler needs to tell Shanny to stick it. If he fails to, he will not be with the Broncos very long, because Pat Bowlen apparently has no plans to do the right thing and fire Shanahan. if Cutler actually wants to be an NFL QB, he needs to take over the offense and make it his.

Sadly for the Broncos, Cutler doesn't have the stones to stand up for himself. He has no problem ripping other players, but he never seems to follow his own advice.

Cheers.

FanSince73 writes:

Hey Tom, do us a favor and find another team to support - OH!!! - never mind, I see you already have.

Anonymous writes:

"Stones" Tom?

How much pro-football have you played in your career?

And still an expert. Holy crap, how about you call Shanahan and tell him you're ready to try out for the QB spot?

Kee-rist - everyone's an expert.

Thanks. No.

I like it here.

Don't like opinions? Try locking yourself indoors 24/7. Don't go online. Don't answer the phone. Don't interact with anyone for any reason.

If you follow these instructions, you won't have to deal with other people's ideas.....

Cheers.

Anonymous writes:

Opinions are fine Tom - stupidity based in no practical experience in which to gain credibility is really just bitching. Try expressing an actual opinion based in something you know about, and maybe we'll listen. Your comment about Cutler shows just how ignorant you are - what are you, like 17?

• April 3, 2008

"Try expressing an actual opinion based in something you know about, and maybe we'll listen."

Don't tempt me.

You might want to consider just how open you've left the door for me to rip you apart, but I'm actually quite the gentleman, so I'll abstain for your own good.

Cheers.

Anonymous writes:

LOL ... HAHAHAHA .... ROFLMFAO

Go ahead buddy - knock yourself out - I think I can take it.

Look, unless you can tell me that you have been on the field playing QB as an NFL QB, you don't have the right to question anyone's stones.

Why don't you just leave it at that because we both know it's true. And thanks for the laugh.

Gandhi writes:

For a poster who can't seem to find the "stones" to post his name on his posts, you seem pretty bold.

Get off Tom's back. He's a longtime poster here who offers humor, insight, and creative discussion. You (whomever you are) offer nothing. Get lost.

Tom, stick around. Don't let this gutless no-name loser influence your posts.

Kurt writes:

The sad part about all of this, is that Brandon marshall could be a really special player. he's got a ton of talent, but his head is in the sand.

cutler also has a lot of talent, and for him to come out and say his tired of brandons crap is what a leader and top QB should do!

Tom is just being Tom, if denvers name is associated with anything, then he will dig as deep as he can to try to make it look bad....its somewhat good entertainment....somewhat

Anonymous writes:

Hey Ghandi - bite me.

Like your handle gives any kind of credible reference. Damn, I really expected to find people with brains here - too much to ask I guess. You must be his lovetoy to jump in for him so fast. You try to make a good case that he's a nice guy, but don't say word one to him about name-calling and character questioning Cutler - that's what we call a hypocrite. The apparent fact that you guys seem to just let Tom run on his anti-Denver rants is ridiculous - slap the crap out of him before he grows a set and insults someone in a bar or elsewhere, and they gut him with a rusty knife because of it.

Gary writes:

Who is this guy who refuses to post under a name? Dude, get out of here. You obviously don't understand the game. Tom rants and raves about the local teams, but he does it for laughs. He's never shown he really means it. It's good clean fun. And another thing - He may rip on the teams, but he doesn't lay down personal attacks like you're doing.
    Whomever you are, you won't last long. We don't always agree with Tom, but at least we understand his humor to an extent. You can get yourself lost anytime and we won't blink an eye.

Anonymous writes:

Naw Gary, I think I'll stick around to make Tom miserable, unless of course he apologizes for being an insensitive sack, and not knowing what he's talking about. I can't believe you guys put up with some turd on here making comments about players that he couldn't possibly know about - if he can tell me he's been an NFL QB, then, and only then, does he have the right to question JC's stones. Until then, he ought to stick to what he knows. As for a name, how do I know yours is valid, and whether it is or not, what does it buy you or anyone else? Not a damned thing. Is that all you got? Picking on a handle?

Ben writes:

Good luck making Tom miserable. He'll just ignore you.
    And another thing. All Drew needs to do here is inform the I.T. guys at the Rocky that you're being abusive (your language alone is enough), and click...
    Your IP Address is flagged and you're banned from ever posting her again.
    You're not taking the hint. It's not just Tom that doesn't want you here. I don't want you here. Gary apparently doesn't want you here. I highly doubt Drew wants his blog filled up with foul language and personal attacks on his regular visitors, so it's probably safe to assume that he doesn't want you here.

Go away. Take a hint.

• April 4, 2008

Cory Winget writes:

"Manning and Brady both have won Superbowls. Cutler has won....right....nothing.I don't need to say more."

First, Manning took a while to win a Super Bowl, even with a loaded team. I'm not saying he isnt the man, but it took him longer than 20 starts. I think saying Cutler hasn't won anything in his first season and a half is unfair. I doubt you were on a forum 3 years ago talking about how Brady was better than Manning. But what had he won up to that point? Thats right....nothing.

• April 7, 2008

GaryP writes:

Um ... you have to have played in the NFL to criticize an NFL player? Sports writers everywhere are officially fired.

As for Cutler's, uh, stones, let's not forget it took Elway a couple of years to find his own. Cutler's taking the first steps to making this his team. Of course the fastest route to making this his team is by winning games. He's shown great glimpses, it's now time for the next level.

• April 20, 2008

jvill writes:

Tom: "Yes. I think players should be fired/released for lying about crap like Marshall did. He tried to deceive his employer into thinking his injury could not have been prevented. That's the issue. Don't like my opinion of the matter? Great. Don't read it. It's simple."

This is just factually wrong.

Marshall did not try to deceive his employer as you claim. What did BM say when asked why he lied:

"I cut my arm to this degree, you know. I don’t want anybody to know that. I let Greek (Head Trainer Steve Antonopulos) handle that stuff. But I’m in Orlanda, Florida. Far from Denver. I hadn’t talked to Greek or a head trainer yet, so I’m gonna let him do that. So I took it upon myself to make a decision to get back to Denver and let him determine the severity of it.”

Your argument hinges on the claim that BM tried to deceive his employer when all he was trying to do was not comment until his employer had evaluated the entire situation.

Marshall probably shouldn't have made up a filler story, and just said "no comment", but that doesn't change the fact that your rather blustery "opinion" hinges on facts that are easily disproven.

• May 23, 2008

Joel Burgard writes:

Honestly, this whole argument is ridiculous.

1. Jay wears hats, he isn't some executive for some corporation, he's a football player he wears a helmet to work.

2.He has a haircut that isn't uncommon for someone from a small town like Santa Claus, Indiana.

3. Football is an emotional sport and if you don't get into it (i.e. arguing with referees) then you are playing at a disadvantage to every other great QB who does.

4. As far as having the stones to well I hope you mean disagree with Shanahan he does, the only way you would be able to tell is if he and Shanahan were constantly yelling at each other and no one wants that, they have a mutual respect between them.

5. Elam didn't win those games he did his job half the time and luckly in a few clutch situations many which only happen because of extraordinary drives by Jay Cutler. He might not have a Superbowl after one full season but hey most of the greats don't for years if at all, his time will come.

Not ripping anyone just totally disagreeing and I think most would agree Cutler is more mature than most QBs his age, even some ten years older. Give it time Denver, I'm sick of feeling like this city has a shorter time of faith in their QBs than San Diego believed in Ryan Leaf. Denver used to have so many true fans now it's mostly whinny bandwagon jumpers and that makes me sad and I'm not referring to anyone in particular but it's something that I'm sure everyone here has noticed. The twelfth man counts and it has been missing for quite some time now.

P|L|H