May 9, 2008 9:37 PM

Quenneville: The Avs Fall Guy

DREW0510.gif

I'm not quite sure why the Avs decided that Joel Quenneville was the reason behind their aging, injured roster, but I guess they needed a scapegoat. It's a shame. He'll be missed.

• May 9, 2008

Lizifer writes:

Quenneville deserved it. Anybody stupid enough to play Theodore when he has the flu and our backup goalie is better than he is deserves to be looking for a better job.

It's possible to do great things with an aging roster. Look at early-2000s Detroit. Look at 2008 Detroit, at that.

Also, you misspelled his name in the title.

{-=m2=-} writes:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Drew.

I don't think Q was taking us anywhere past the second round no matter the talent level, look at his Blues teams.

The Red Wings series was the clincher on Theodore and Quenneville for me. We just kept trying the same thing over and over for four games. The Wings knew exactly where we were passing, and what we were trying to do.

Our power play was awful. Our young talent isn't developing.

I just hope we don't limit ourselves to a new coach with a French Canadian last name.

Jacob writes:

I agree with the previous two posters. Coach Q has had some talented teams with both the Avs and the Blues and they've always underachieved. His most successful team was that 2001 Blues team that the Avs pounded in 5 games. This was a good time to part ways.

Paul writes:

Avalanche fans are the most uneducated hockey fans on the planet.
    God, you people are just insane.
    Scotty Bowman couldn't have saved this team. Injuries aside, the entire team quit when it came down to the Detroit series. Q's job is to put the players out there. It's the players job to step up. They didn't.
    Joe Sakic is old. He's finished as far as ever being a dominant NHL player.
    Forsberg was selfish in trying to come back.
    The Avalanche franchise is stupid for even attempting to recapture the magic of 10 years ago. Now there's serious consideration for bringing Patrick Roy in to coach? Are you kidding me?
    The only way this franchise will ever get off the ground and stop being the joke franchise of the NHL is for the franchise to quit trying to recreate everything.

I hope Q does sign on with some other club and comes back to haunt this franchise. Not that he will. I just hope he does.

God, the Avalanche are joke.

Valerie writes:

"Queeneville?" Should have just said "Coach Q" like everyone else. But like others have stated, he needed to go. He wasn't a bad coach, but just not the good one for us.

Loved by Valerie writes:

"Queenville" is for kickyball players, isn't it?
    I think it's better for Coach Q to be gone than for the Avs.
    I believe the Pepsi center is turning into an assisted living quarters with all the old guys.
    Compare the Blackhawks on thier way up with those young stars.
    The Avs are starting to look for their soc sec checks.

Valerie writes:

Hey "Loved",We will see you in the playoffs next spring!

Jacyln writes:

I'm not exactly sure why the Avs are "aging" they have some of the best young talent in the league in Stastny, Wilski, Svatos and Liles. Not to mention numerous other young guys from Lake Erie who stepped in to contribute such as Jones, McLeod, Hensick and Cumisky. The Avs have a good mix of veteran leadership and young talent so I hardly think that was the problem.

Not fooled by Tom writes:

And still we see that Tom has continued posting under other aliases. "Paul" this time, eh, Tom? When will this "research project" end next time?

Steven writes:

Queenville is in either New York City or San Francisco. I'm not sure which.

The Avs do not have some of the best talent in the league. They have some decent players, however.

I'm certain that the players were the reason that Q was ditched. Exit interviews happen before players depart, and I have no doubt that a lot of the Colorado players had words to upper management regarding Q.

That's just how I feel about it.

AvalancheJoe19 writes:

Too bad for Q. I liked him as a coach. I think he got a raw deal. Ge kept the team together despite all of the injuries.
    Good luck Joe. Hope you have better luck in Toronto, or whatever bench you land on.

Not fooled by Not fooled by Tom writes:

I'm not fooled by all your foolishness Not Fooled By Tom. Your foolhardy foolishness is by far more foolish than any foolishness I've ever tried to be fooled by. Don't be a fool. All of this foolishness just fuels the fool who fuels the foolishness. I'm so full of this foolhardy fueled foolishness that I feel faint from all the foolish fuel fumes.

Paul writes:

Who is Tom?

• May 11, 2008

Matbar writes:

I think, its time once again for the Avalanche to be Saved by Roy

• May 11, 2008

Loved by Valerie writes:

I have season tickets~~front row couch.
    I'll even furnish the popcorn.
    That would leave you defenseless and I could score a trick without a hat;)

• May 11, 2008

John writes:

I don't think the Avs used him as a scapegoat. If they did, they could have fired him after last season. They simply didn't rehire him.

By all accounts, it was a mutual decision to let him move on.

And I think that with some of the talent the Avs have and Q's system didn't always mesh just right. Sometimes it was sgreat, and other time it sputtered. I liked Q as a coach, but sometimes it's nice to see some change.

Look at the stale sense of things at Dove Valley for an example of that (or even LoDo).

• May 11, 2008

John writes:

And seriously, Patrick Roy as head coach?

The Avs haven't said anything about it; it's the Post and the Rocky trying to write about something -- because Q's firing is now old news.

Let's stick to fact and less speculation, please.

• May 11, 2008

Ted writes:

If the Avalanche actually hire Roy to be their coach, then the franchise may as well move back to Quebec, because it'll have about as much chance of having success there as it will by staying in Denver.
    Getting the band back together was a cute ploy and I'm sure it lined Stan's pockets that much more, but come on, this once proud franchise is turning into a circus.

A. Draft better players.
    B. Stop looking to the past.
    C. Hire a real coach, not a show pony.
    D. Stop signing high dollar free agents.
    E. Have patience.

There's the recipe for success for the Avs for the next 5-10 years.

Pretty simple.

• May 11, 2008

Thrawn writes:

Terry Frei mentioned Patrick Roy on the radio when he was asked to speculate on who the next coach was going to be. That was shortly after the news came out about coach Q. Ever since then, I have not heard the end of the rumor that Roy may come back when there really is no basis for that rumor.

My pick for a new coach would be Pat Burns. He was a three time Jack Adams winner (coach of the year)and I think he is the best option available.

• May 12, 2008

Ben Lilly writes:

The problem with the Avs wanting Pat Burns is that he's still under contract with New Jersey.
    There's already talk that the Devils may want him back on their bench id in fact he wants to return to the NHL.
    So any theory that pat Burns would become the Avs coach is probably very sketchy at best. Burns lives in the Northeast, and I really don't see a cancer survivor coming this far West just to coach for a couple of years and be that far from his family and support group.

• May 12, 2008

Carl writes:

Pat Burns is not available. He is under contract with the Devils. I'd guess that New Jersey would want at least some form of compensation if they were to let him go to Colorado. That said, Pat Burns will not be coming to Denver anyway, so let's just move on from that idea, shall we?
    I'm guessing that Stan is just desperate enough to give Patrick Roy the reigns. I'm also guessing that if he does, it's going to be a P.R. extravaganza, but it will be the latest in a long line of bad moves by this franchise.
    Patrick Roy is not the answer.
    If they're really thinking about Roy, they may just as well bring Bob Hartley back instead. At least he has NHL coaching gigs on his resume.

• May 12, 2008

Marcus writes:

I think Tony Granato might want another shot at driving the bus.

Heck, maybe bring back Marc Crawford.

The Avs are all about recycling.

Can they swing a deal for Tanguay? Is Bourque still able to skate a straight line? Is Craig Billington still alive and kicking? Would Rob Blake like to get out of the sun for one winter?

Hell. Why move forward when digging through a box of old memories is just as easy?

• May 13, 2008

Badger writes:

He would have been gone long ago in any other organization than Kroenke. George Karl and Fernando Clavijo are in the same boat, too. KSE seems to celebrate mediocrity.