May 12, 2008 10:17 PM

Within the Realm of Possibility

DREW0513.gif

To have Patrick Roy come back would be a sports cartoonists dream. It'd be a bit like having Richard Nixon running for president. Oh ,please, oh please.

• May 13, 2008

Missy writes:

That'd be cool to see Roy as the new coach for the Avs.

• May 13, 2008

Bill writes:

As fun as it would be to have Roy back on the Avs bench I think it would be the wrong move for the franchise. As much fun as it was to see Joe, Footer, and FOPA back together again, the results of the series against the Wings should be enough to remind us all to never forget the great memories all of these gifted athletes brought us, but it is time to look towards the future!

• May 13, 2008

Friar John writes:

Hey, yeah, I'd love to see Roy get the job.

That way we can fully appreciate the demise of the Avalanche in bold print headlines instead of on page 6 of the daily paper.

The Avs just do not get it. They keep resigning players from a past era. They're stuck in reverse.

What will they do next after they hire Roy? Make Claude Lemieux and Ray Bourque assistant coaches? Maybe bring back Bryan Trottier?

All this talk is a bad idea, but knowing the Avs, they'll think Roy will save the franchise.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

• May 13, 2008

Maynard writes:

Roy intentionally sends his own son down the ice to beat up the opposing goaltender, who had zero interest in fighting, and people want this guy to coach a professional hockey team? People want to pay money to watch (and let their children watch) a goon coach the local pro hockey team?

That's insane.

Patrick Roy needs several years of anger management classes. He's a box of wet dynamite just waiting to go off. He's borderline psycho.

If the Avs hire this nutball, I would hope fans would walk away.

• May 13, 2008

Hall Of Famer Roy writes:

I'll watch Roy anytime, anywhere. In fact, might even make it to a few more games!

This fan wouldn't walk away.

• May 14, 2008

Wyatt writes:

Hall Of Famer Roy -

How about you do us a favor and walk away to Quebec then, because your hero isn't coming back to Denver.

Roy might have won on the ice, but he's a loser of a human being.

• May 14, 2008

Bob writes:

The Avs would be much better served by giving Konowalchuk a shot before Roy.
    Traditionally, former goaltenders do not make good NHL coaches. Hard-working, 2nd and 3rd line muckers do.
    Konowalchuk was always one of the hardest working players in the NHL during his tenure.

• May 14, 2008

Hall of Famer Roy writes:

Hey Earp-

You don't sound too much like a winner either. Pot calling the kettle black???

• May 14, 2008

Wyatt writes:

Unlike Roy, I don't have domestic disputes with my wife where I tear doors off their hinges, trash my coach's office when I get yanked from a game, and I don't send my kid down the ice to beat up another kid who has no interest in fighting.
    Unlike you, I also don't pick people like that to be my hero.
    I hope to God if you have children, that they fail to turn out like you. That would be the best thing for them. Idolizing athletes is a disease of it's own. You're apparently a victim.

• May 14, 2008

Hall of Famer Roy writes:

Earp-

I pray to dear God that your kids do not turn out like you. Your disease is worse than idolizing any athlete....

A closed minded individual who bases all of their ideology's off of assumptions.

Please tell me again there Earp where I said that Roy was my hero?? Where I said that he was my idol??

In fact, if you break out your "Hooked on Phonics" tapes and learn to read again, you will notice that I simply stated I would not turn my back on the Avs if he came back. He was a great player who....in your own words......WON on the ice. I'd enjoy watching him coach anywhere....just as I enjoyed watching him during his playing days.

Does this mean that I condone ANY of his actions off the ice....certainly not.

Go back to that bottle of Jim Beam or back to whatever mind-altering substance you enjoy and please stop putting words into people's mouths and trying to create web arguments.

Earp, you're setting a horrible example for children everywhere. ;)

• May 15, 2008

ben writes:

who is this earp person you're writing to? there isn't any earp posting here.

• May 15, 2008

Hall of Famer Roy writes:

Ben-

Just a little nickname for my good friend Wyatt.

Dumb......but who cares!! This entire argument is dumb if you ask me. Can't we all just get along?? ;)