June 29, 2008 9:45 PM

Broncs Zoo animated cartoon: Meeting of the Mastermind

Animating a cartoon is a bit like being Dr. Frankenstein. Bit by bit, the cartoon is pieced together, and the animators only hope is that it doesn't terrorize the community at the end of the process. So here's the first installment of the Broncs Zoo. As the season unfolds in the months ahead the Broncs Zoo will be a regular feature here on rockymountainnews.com. It will be a cartoon about everything that makes Broncomania so much fun, including the antics of the Mastermind Mike Shanahan, quarterback Jay Cutler, defensive superstar Champ Bailey, a couple of fans named Fred and Dean and a litany of Broncos players, coaches and fans.

Animation is new territory for me, so I'm looking for your feedback and participation. Feel free to e-mail it and send it around. Mostly, I hope you'll leave your comments. They'll be a key component in helping me to create each webisode of the Broncos Zoo.

As in Frankenstein's lab, the creation of this cartoon wasn't done alone. My thanks to
Rich Moyer for helping to fine-tune the animation and giving amazing advice on direction and film techniques like blurring and closeups. Check out his site at richmoyer.com. Matthew Roberts then put the cartoon through after effects, a program that helps to render the cartoon better and make the sound smoother. Joe Corrao, an animator in New York, sent me some helpful tutorials to help me better grasp Flash animation. He has a cool site, too, at 4eyedanimation.com. Hope you enjoy the cartoon.

For me, it's back to the lab to create another one.

You can see my other animations online here and here.

• June 30, 2008

Dave, formaly know as the Okinawa Underdogs) writes:

Drew, I've been reading your toons since long before it was here on the web page. I was glad to see when it showed up here after I moved away and couldn't get the Rocky anymore. I think the animation brings a lot to it. I can't wait to see what you do with Fred and Dean.

• June 30, 2008

Gary Sloan writes:

I would love to look at this but it has been loading for at least 40 min. I can't wait any longer.

• June 30, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Drew,
    Great Toon! I can't wait until you release the full lenght feature film!

• June 30, 2008

Rudy Socha writes:

I think your animation is great considering it focuses on the Broncos. Unfortunately, I live in Ohio and am a Brown's fan. We still stay awake at night suffering from John Elway nightmares.

I came accross this by accident thinkig it was a take off on the Bronx zoo. Rudy

Zoo and Aquarium Visitor .

http://www.zandavisitor.com .

Great place for zoo and aquarium visitors.

• June 30, 2008

James writes:

There are rumors circulationg that Joe Sakic's negotiating rights have been traded to the San Jose Sharks for San Jose's 1st round selction in 2009 and 2nd and 3rd round selections in 2010.
    Guess the Avs had to do something before tomorrow, or they get nothing. At least Joe gets to finish his career on something resembling a winner/contender.
    Oh well. Good luck Joe.

• June 30, 2008

Steve D writes:

Drew,

Enjoyed your stuff for years. Do any of your "targets" ever get back to you on your characterizations of them?

Nice work, as always.

• June 30, 2008

bill writes:

Sorry, haven't said anything about it before...but, I run an ancient version of Mozilla under linux and...not only is there no animation...there's not drawing of anyform, just blank real estate.

• July 1, 2008

Anonymous writes:

The animation won't load up on my computer either. What gives? I was able to view Drew's previous animation with no problem.

• July 2, 2008

Cory writes:

Trouble loading too

• July 2, 2008

DL writes:

I can't view the animation on my computer either. Likewise, I could view Drew's previous animation.

• July 3, 2008

Dr. Strange writes:

Update your flash player...it should play fine after that

• July 3, 2008

bill writes:

Dr. Strange...

bill@jumbo:~> uname -a
    Linux jumbo 2.4.21-303-default #1 Tue Dec 6 12:33:58 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Using Mozilla 1.7.8 also.

Gonna be tough to find an "Updated" flash player for this old stuff that will work.

Not trying to be picky you understand...

• July 8, 2008

Tim writes:

Shanny isn't tan enough!!!

• July 21, 2008

BlueCarp writes:

Love it Drew.

But what's up with Shanny's ears? I never really thought they were abnormally large. I kept thinking about Ross Perot.

• October 1, 2008

jake writes:

Hey Drew,

Is it a liberal thing to hate your home team?
    Your cartoons go past fun abuse and dip into the type of hate that you would expect from an drunk Oakland fan. You make are head coach look like an evil rat and your jokes make him look like an contol crazed idiot how nobody should like.

I think Shanahan is a great coach and a good person. I have had experience with you libs who hate the home team, country, president.......
    anything in power..... Its what libs do. Go away, your not funny.

• June 26, 2010

Jay Barton writes:

Hello, could someone tell me how to get an avatar on the comment post?