June 2, 2008 8:00 PM

Travis Henry: Down and Out

drew0603.gif

The Travis Henry saga is finally over. Maybe now the Broncos will understand something: CHARACTER MATTERS.

OPEN CALL for VOCAL TALENT...I need someone out there who can do a good Mike Shanahan voice for future animations. I'm on a cartoonist's budget so that basically means I can't pay you for doing the voice but you'll be given a credit at the end of each cartoon (you know voice by), we'll come up with some tickets to something sports, and I'll give you a Drew Litton original. If you're interested call me at 303-954-5179. Leave your impersonation on the voice mail with your name and number so I can get back to you. I don't know for sure, but I think Mel Blanc started this way.

• June 3, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Radio stations in Vancouver are reporting that Joe Sakic has decided to retire from the NHL.

• June 3, 2008

ben writes:

same thing in Ottawa. I have no idea why it's not being reported on TSN or other major news source.
    thanks for the memories Joe.

• June 3, 2008

Charlie writes:

How low can Shanahan get, he just cut Henry less than two weeks before Father's Day.

• June 4, 2008

Gabe writes:

Charlie, who cares he. henry can now spend more time with ALL NINE of his KIDS unfortunatly for him fathers day is only one day, Good rittens, no more bab marley in the backfield!!!!!!!!!

• June 4, 2008

DavusX writes:

Hey, Charlie

Shanny cut Travis because he stopped showing up to work. I would have been fired faster at my job if I missed as many days as he did.

dx

J.P. writes:

Sakic retired????

Really?

Wow.

• June 4, 2008

Jacob writes:

No report has come out about this, people are just being idiots. TSN's website doesn't say a damn thing about it.

• June 4, 2008

Tarik writes:

Winnipeg radio stations also have reported that Sakic is retiring, but that the Avalanche are withholding this information because the NHL does not allow teams to disclose high-level media announcements during the Stanley Cup Finals. The NHL doesn't want a big story like Sakic retiring to take any sparkle away from the playoffs.

Good luck Joe!

• June 4, 2008

DETROIT RED WINGS FAN writes:

WINGS BABY!!!!!!!!

HOW'S THAT FEEL COLORADO?

HA-HA-HA-HAAHAHHHHH!!!!

WE'RE DRINKING CHAMPAGNE FROM THE STANLEY CUP WHILE THE AVS ARE SUCKING THE NASTY COORS LIGHT FROM THE CAN.

ENJOY YOUR 10 YEAR REBUILD COLORADO! WE'LL ENJOY OUR PARADE!!!!!!!!

AND YEAH....ENJOY RETIREMENT SAKIC!

• June 4, 2008

Petr M. writes:

Good player. Will be missed by many. Who will take over as Captain now?

• June 4, 2008

Winged Wheel writes:

It's sweet to be a champion. Too bad the Avs can't seem to get out of the second round.

And I'm so glad to hear that Joe Suckit is finally hanging up his skates. About freaking time! He's been fading for about 5 years. Meanwhile, our horses keep plugging along and keep winning Conference Championships, Division Titles, and Stanley Cups.

It's a fine time in the Motor City!

James writes:

Montreal talk shows this morning are confirming this news as well. Sakic's retirement is expected to be announced soon, possibly later this afternoon.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for being a true professional Joe.

DR writes:

Wings Fans -

Congratulations on the Cup. I knew when I saw the warmups for Game 1 against the Avs that the Wings were going to win it all.

And I was really hoping they would cherry-pick that one assistant coach of yours to be our new head coach - I forget his name, but he has done a terrific job, and then we go and re-hire Tony G. I guess we'll see. And I still haven't heard anything about Joe, but I think it's time. Good luck Joe, and don't be a stranger.

Again, congrats to the Wings. One final note, we appreciate your exuberance in victory, but a little humility would suit you well.

Red Rover writes:

The Wings beat Colorado in the second round and Wings fans are STILL on here rubbing it in?? Get a life.

Winger writes:

Do we have any intelligent Wings fans around here?

Rob writes:

There is never any humility from Avalanche fans when they discuss the Red Wings as the "Dead Things" and so on, so no, there will be no humility today.
    Deal with it.

The Wings are still an NHL powerhouse and the Avalanche are an old, slow, and feeble franchise which won't taste anything close to victory for a decade or more. Joe Sakic is finished. You won't even recognize the Avs roster next year without a game program.

Deal with that as well.

Konstantin writes:

It is not true, why you believe this???Oh, because you are wings fans...

Brad writes:

This is a hoax, just so evryone knows.

Fast Eddie writes:

It's not a hoax. It's been the hot topic of the day.

It's all true.

COLORUS writes:

Shut up, this is not true.
    There is no official news yet, and nether TSN or NHL.com wrote anything bout that.
    + I don't think that Sakic would told that to anyone, first he would have announced it. You think Sakic told some Canadian sourses that he is retiring and yet, Avs general manager is not saying anything about that? This is the only sourse that is saying about Sakic's retirement....

AvalancheRulez23 writes:

The news actually is true. Joe Sakic is retiring. He has made the decision already. He has not informed the Avalanche. Canadian media has access to information that American papers and such do not have access to. Joe's family and friends are in Vancouver where the story first broke yesterday, albiet on a small scale. Just wait for it. He is retiring. This is NOT a joke. It's not a fabrication.

jojo writes:

The avs will be fine red wings people get over ur selves its done and over with get a life oh wait u talk on here go back to work

NashvilleFan writes:

It is a joke, my friend lives in Vancouver ad never heard of this news...

TheoTheoTheo writes:

This is so sad!!!! How on Earth did Joe make this decision without telling anyone here in Colorado?
    You think he'd actually have the respect for the fans and the franchise to fess up! So, instead, he tells the Canadian media? Guess that's where his heart is.

Bummer.

And here I thought the worst news was losing to the Wings. This is going to be the most awful summer!

Arrrghhh!!!!

JukeboxHero writes:

I just got a text from a friend in Toronto. Most of the news there today was regarding Ron Wilson considering the head coaching position, but there apparently was news that the decision has already been made by Joe and that the news is not good for the Avalanche franchise. I think I'm going to cry.

Lappy14 writes:

This is nuts. Sakic CAN'T retire!!! He's our captain!!! This sucks!

Batgirl writes:

I was just looking at the Avs website and there is a thread called "News Out Of Canada?"
    It's discussing Joe's retirement as well. Is this really true? It seems like this story broke 2 days ago and is gaining speed.
    This is terrible. No wonder Guigere was getting nervous. He'll be devastated. I wonder if the front office of the Avs really did put too much pressure on him to return and he finally just said "Enough, I'm done!"
    I'm just not going to sleep well tonight.

Drew writes:

Hey, everybody. We haven't heard any confirmation on these rumors. I'm sure we'll hear something soon when Joe has made up his mind. I'll have a new cartoon Saturday. I've been working on a new animation I think you're going to like.

Paul writes:

If there is a confirmation that F.G. put too much pressure on Joe and that caused Joe to walk, then F.G. needs to be fired immediately.

Joe, if this is really true, then I'm happy to know that I attended your final game.

Good luck in your "next career." Hope you can play in the 2010 Games still.

JoeMustGo writes:

Halleluja! Finally, the Avalanche franchise can start to move forward instead of in reverse, or even worse, sideways.

Let Forsberg, Hejduk, Arnason, Theodore, Budaj, Sauer, and all the other loser players go and bring in a completely new flow of blood. We need a complete roster overhaul. Dangle Statsny as trade bait for a real #1 defenseman. Sign Dan Ellis or Cristobal Huet in goal. Get Ryan Malone as a FA. Give Washington anything it wants for Alexander Semin.
    This needs to be a completely different roster by training camp.

• June 6, 2008

Jacob writes:

You know that you're pathetic when you're getting your news from a blog, yeah...real credible site. I'll wait for a REPORTER to let me know if sakic retires as opposed to some moron who thinks he's funny on a blog. Get a life

• June 6, 2008

Gary writes:

It doesn't matter that the information is posted on a blog. It can still be legit. And the fact that this information is being reported from several different cities says that this report likely has merit.
    Personally, I think Joe should retire while he can still play. I think he's done everything he would ever have to do to retain the admiration of hockey fans everywhere. I hope he takes a year off, spends overdue extended time with his family and then is invited to play in the Vancouver Olympic games.
    He's done enough for the Avalanche. Now it's time for the Avalanche to prove they can win without him.

• June 6, 2008

Jacob writes:

Actually it does Gary. If Woody Paige were to submit a second hand account of what he saw as an article, would the editor allow it? Hell no. The whole reason that we have journalists in this country is so that we have someone with credentials to inform us of newsworthy events. "I heard it on a radio station" from some random dude on a blog doesn't hold the same weight as if Don Cherry were to come on TSN and say "Sakic's retiring." You can go ahead and get your news from 14 year old punks on blogs, I'll get mine from a real source.

• June 6, 2008

Anonymous writes:

Woody Paige wouldn't know a good article if it bit him on his keister.

• June 8, 2008

Opie writes:

Joe Sakic SUCKS!

• July 26, 2010

Jackqueline Pompa writes:

I came across this topic on a different blog and didn't quite get it, but this article makes it easier to understand. Thanks!